Sign in to follow this  
FlyChicken

Medieval blacksmith in winter - The Frostfather is coming!

Oh lovely! I remember when LEGO shared images of a "winter" version of the Lion Knights' Castle a couple years back how surprised I was that I'd never seen anybody make winter versions of their Castle sets before. And you really went all-out here, to the point of retexturing the roofs in a way that suggests a nice thick blanket of snow and ice! Even the smoke puffing out of the chimney suggests that the fire is really roaring inside to stave off the frigid winter air.

The ice warrior minifig's sleigh is very charming, and in this festive context he sort of reminds me of legendary gift-givers from Slavic folklore like Ded Moroz! Was that an intentional reference?

Some of the scenes feel slightly cluttered due to the number of figures and other details packed into a tight space. I would prefer if some of that stuff were spread out or used a little more sparingly so there are fewer different details/focal points fighting for the viewer's attention, but of course, there is also some charm to this sort of jam-packed scene where you really have to work to notice everything going on — the sort of feeling you get from search-and-find books like Where's Waldo/Where's Wally books. One detail that particularly amused me was the hare investigating its ice sculpture counterpart!

One interior detail that stands out to me is the pineapple on the dinner table. Obviously medieval Europe wouldn't have had pineapples in real life, but I understand that this is a bit of a fantasy scene anyhow . Are pineapples associated with winter/holiday traditions where you live? I know that in 18th-century Virginia they were a symbol of hospitality that came to be associated with Christmas and New Year's Day, so I'm curious if this was a reference to any of your own local traditions.

Beautiful work overall! Thank you for sharing!

Great stuff. Kudos. I especially love the two knights about to wake up the third knight with trumpet.

Edited by Pirate_King_1982