Nazgarot

Old Lego fan new to Castles

Hi.

I'm an AFOL who mainly has been building technic models and have a substantial collection of Technic Lego as well as a few other sets.

As a kid back in the 80s and 90s I had no interest of the Castles line, but after my darkages back around 2008 I started getting interested again. I did however have few system parts, and could not afford to buy a lot, so I mostly got Technic sets. I did however pick up a few Castle and SW sets along the way. I'm now at a point where I'm ready to invest a bit in the Castle line in order to make medieval style mocs, and need a few tips for how to build up a good assortment of parts.

TLDR: I'm looking for tips on what sets make good parts packs as well as other ways to increase my parts collection.

Below I've listed the sets I have, and are about to buy.

Have:

• 7979: Castle Advent Calendar (2008)
  • 10193: Medieval Market Village
  • 7189: Mill Village Raid
  • 31120: Medieval Castle x2
  • 21325: Medieval Blacksmith
  • 31132: Viking Ship and the Midgard Serpent

Planning to buy:

• 21343: Viking Village
  • 10305: Lion Knights' Castle
  • 10332: Medieval Town Square

Considdering (Are these good parts packs?)

• 21318: Tree House (Can get it for €190)
  • 21341: The Sanderson Sisters' Cottage
  • 10325: Alpine Lodge
Edited by Nazgarot
Corrected spelling

If you're looking for parts, not sets, I would recommend buying them directly through online Pick a Brick or Bricklink. If you live near a Lego store, you can get some good parts on the Pick a Brick wall and the build a minifigure (BAM) station. BAM has the Lion Knights shield right now, so that's the cheapest way to get those if your store allows you to fill the packages with a single part. (Some do, and some stores require you to get a torso, head, legs, etc.)

Here's the bookmark I've been using to watch the parts I'm interested in. It's not comprehensive, but it's a good place to start if you're interested in seeing what's on PAB.

Depending on how much effort you are willing to put in selling on parts you don't want, look outside of traditional castle themes. Over the years I have found Star Wars to be an excellent and cheap source for castle parts. It is not just that they have a range of useful parts/colours but that they have sought after minifigures (sought after by others). It depends on the set and ratio of parts/figs but you can often get 75-85% of the value of the set quite easily just selling the minifigures and maybe decorated parts that you won't use. If you get the set at a discount, that can mean free parts. If you hold the figures for a couple of years, you can often get even more if the figures are ones not repeated often. For a while Harry Potter sets used to be similarly useful for extra tans and browns, but they have repeated the main cast in just about every outfit so many times now, that unless there is a lot of unique figures in a set the value of the figures to set price is quite low now. There is only limited scope for yet another Harry/Ron/Hermione in school uniform. It can work with some unlicensed sets too, but minifigs from licensed themes tend to have wider appeal and so easier to shift at higher prices.

Thank you very much for the feedback. There are som options here I had not considered that may be a good way to build my collection.

I haven't used pick a brick much, and that list is really helpful jodawill :sweet:

I also haven't considered sets outside off historic or nature related themes, but I clearly see the possibility of buying SW, Disney, HP and other licensed series and selling the parts I don't need. Maybe it's about time to start selling on BL and not only buy... Thanks MAB! :thumbup:

Hopefully I'll be more active here with some mocs in time, but for now, again, Thanks for the feedback!

_ED_

If you also like Fantasy and not only historic medieval Castle, the upcoming Dungeons and Dragons Set might also interest you - and if not we get a CMF in September that is also based on Dungeons and Dragons which at least might have some usefull parts for your medieval world. Both are not revealed yet so we don´t know exactly how they will look like.

I purposely got the Sanderson Sister's Cottage with the intention of using it with my Castle sets.  It is a very interesting build with a lot of great parts.  I much prefer the Inn build from 31109 Pirate Ship 3in1 set and that could be easily made to fit in with castle builds.  I don't know how well the Alpine Lodge would fit with Castle stuff but it does have a lot of good parts in it.

Posted (edited)

Although not a castle set, I would suggest you to get Rivendell (10316). Perhaps the best set ever made, imo.

It looks great with the medieval theme.

Also, the new Snow White (43242) set looks really really good together (with others)! 

Edit : +1 to the upcoming Dungeons and Dragon set too!

Edited by Knight3