HoMa

Free English Translation of my "LEGO Eisenbahnwelt" book available

buch_holger-matthes-lego-eisenbahnwelt.j

A while ago my 2nd LEGO train book "LEGO Eisenbahnwelt" was published in German. Since then many requests for an English translation showed up. Unfortunatelly no publisher seems to be interested in a proper printed translated version.

With the help of Scotish LEGO fan David Graham I was able to translate the book myself. The translation LEGO Railway World – The 80s: Models, Landscapes, Sets is offered as free PDF download and works as supplement for the original printed book – you will find the texts in English and thumbnail references to the original pages of the book.

Here you see a sample page:

lego-railway-world-translation-d.jpg

The download is for free, but the PDF is protected by password. You can use the form on https://www.holgermatthes.de/bricks/en/lego-railway-world.php to get the password.

For the best experience I recommend buying the German book as print and use the English translation as supplement. Maybe you already got the printed book and you wander what the text is about?

Best regards,
Holger

Edited by HoMa
fixed url for link

Thanks so much for putting in all the work to create an English translation!  It seems like shipping is quite expensive when trying to acquire the book in the US.  I may just pick up the Kindle version to read on my PC along with the PDF.  I'm assuming this supports the author about the same as buying a physical version?  That's something I'm curious about, I always want to support in the best way possible for works such as this.  If I find a good solution for getting the printed book imported I will share a link here.  Cheers!

Hi Holger, congrats for this work! It is a pity there was no publisher willing to print it, as nothing can replace to hold a real book physically in one’s own hands!!

Regards

Carsten

It was a joy to work with Holger on this project. I had been disappointed that no English version was available, so thought about translating it for my own use. On contacting Holger we decided to work together to create this translation. I thought I was an "expert" on 12V trains but I learnt so much on this adventure.

the book is not just about sets but as the translation says "LEGO Railway Wold - The 80's: Models, Landscapes, Set" - it also includes details of specific LEGO train parts/features.

There was a review of the German version here New book on 1980s trains now available | Brickset

Edited by Dav1d

Yes, indeed, thank you very much, Holger & Dav1d.  I enjoyed reading about the 12v era, at the end of which is when I discovered Lego trains.  I bought a couple of the 4.5v battery trains, but my Lego habit gained traction when the 9v sets came out.  You could still buy a few 12v sets, ones that would work on 12v, 4.5v and 9v--like a footbridge or a crossing.

Thank you very much! I enjoy your book, but the german is not my language , now with this , i give a Five stars on amazon! thank you again!