nerdsforprez

Lego Light solutions

Anyone have any good recommendations for light systems for your Legos? I know there are many options to choose from, and yes I have done my homework, but what I am looking for is something with a very long battery life, or something with near-infinite power source. I have a long hx of working with different systems, but the problem is that usually my lights are embedded deep into a build. When the battery source wears out I have to disassemble too much to make it worth my while of exchanging the batteries. Something with an alternative PS, or perhaps even external PS would be great. Or the use of watch batteries or something that doesn't really ever need charging....

9 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Or the use of watch batteries or something that doesn't really ever need charging

Well - when you light something up, even with today's low power/high efficiency LED's, considerable currents need to flow. Even with a close to 100% electrical current to light emission conversion (today, up to 80% electrical to light conversion efficiencies are reached, depending on wavelength and brightness), you need to flow electrons through the device to generate the corresponding amount of photons. As you want to light up your builds, quite an amount of photons is necessary to do so. And the electrical current through the light generating device is driven by the voltage difference in/out; and yes, I know, you and many - if not all others - know all that.

Watch batteries never really need replacement or charging, when the display is of the LCD type and you don't use the light-up button for the display that often. Doing so is the main drain on watch batteries, not the display nor the electronics inside. Plus, the amount of light you need to discern the display content when there is no or not enough ambient light, is much lower than for lighting up a LEGO model.

The other thing is that batteries of any type may (but don't have to) start to "leak" at any time, particularly when discharged to rather low levels, as gases produced in the battery under such unfavorable conditions tend to stress the sealed sections to an extent that they may produce micro leaks.

I would thus not use batteries as power supply for such long term installations but rather (tiny) wires that you tie to one (or more) external small power supply/ies (wall warts or the like), if carefully planned and appropriately equipped with resistors in each supply line to the lighting elements. These should be organized in parallel to the power supply/ies outlet/s.

Best,
Thorsten               

Edited by Toastie

Those watches with a for ever battery life have a self winding mechanism (automatic watch). May be that is also possible in a LEGO build but you have to shake it in specific intervals.

Are we talking about display models, or do they need to keep mobility/playability?

I never go with batteries bc I hate having to deal with recharging, or them running empty just on the moment I wanted to show them, so what's wrong with using a wall socket? There's your infinite power :grin:
I plan on modding a display case to build in some small USB plugs for light kits to plug in so I need only 1 hidden away main power cable going to the wall socket. Probably adding one main power switch on it too.
Call it old fashioned if you want, but I like reliability (and infinite power) above all.

If your display is not near an electric socket, use a 5V light system and link it to a power bank. You can cut an old USB cable to connect to the lights, then plug into a power bank, computer, charger, whatever without needing to change anything.

17 hours ago, Toastie said:

I would thus not use batteries as power supply for such long term installations but rather (tiny) wires that you tie to one (or more) external small power supply/ies (wall warts or the like), if carefully planned and appropriately equipped with resistors in each supply line to the lighting elements. These should be organized in parallel to the power supply/ies outlet/s.

TY @Toastie and others for the responses.  The build is near an outlet, but I will have to do some finagling if I wanted to use it. Which I may.  I can also add a new part to the build that would be outside of the rest of the build, to cover up a power bank and also make it easily accessible.  I have some options.  I was also thinking about something like these little light bricks, or something similar.  They are popping up everywhere on Temu and Aliexpress. 

I guess, after reading, you place an axle inside, twist, and it turns on.  Anyone have experience with these?  Really, I would only need the lights on for display, and not a lot of light, nor would it have to be focused, so this would be an acceptable option.  

I have experience of the genuine lego versions. They are not very bright, and will be a pain to turn on multiple and turn them off again. Plus the batteries won't last long if you have them on for a few hours a day.

Yeah I got one of those on my BTTF Delorean.
They work with an internal tiny battery and a push button on top (that has to be held down). Forcing them on for hours a day will drain the battery in just a couple of days.

LEGO light bricks are bright enough for low light conditions.  Those little button cells won't last very long if left constantly on. The batteries can go bad and leak from sitting in storage too. 

Measure the current draw of your lighting system, determine how long you want the light to last, and size your power source's amp hours according.

8098956185_94a3c50cdc_c.jpg

On 1/28/2024 at 2:52 PM, nerdsforprez said:

I am looking for is something with a very long battery life, or something with near-infinite power source.

Looks like you are searching for the holy grail of many people. :pir-sweet:

The Lego light bricks are too dim and with tiny batteries will not last very long.

The best option is to use power supply or power bank with DC-DC converter.

Light My Bricks sells lighting components in the form of multi colored LED's, connecting blocks and wires. They also have a USB cable that can be plugged into your standard 5v wall wart or you can buy the wall wart from them. They also have control boards, sound boards, a rechargeable battery, etc. Their prices are moderate to expensive.

https://www.lightmybricks.com/

Edited by Lego Tom

That's what I'm using too.
Since the kits can be expanded with a remote control, I don't mind the wall plug and a manual main power switch so much.