jainser

Advice on rebuilding from bit of kits

Just posted a quick intro line which says that I'm just getting back into my lego from my childhood and my sons childhood!! Was up in the loft and found all his old star wars ships. I want to rebuild them but there is pieces - some big some just bricks. Not sure if all the bits are there for all the ships but I guess I'll find out. So after a long start my question is any advice on where to start. I have 3 definite star wars boxes (I know this as some of the ships are still part built) and other boxes with loads of bits in.

My first thought was just try to pick up where the ship is currently and find the rough spot in the instructions but after chatting to a mate at work aonother option is to even break ddown what I have - but keep it together in a bag and start that way.

Has anyone got any advice?

Apologies if you perhaps find this a daft question but its quite a big and daunting job and anything to possibly make it a little easier would help.

Kind regards

Pete

Maybe somewhere in the middle? I've bought bulk lots that had semi-built stuff and I was able to piece it together using the instructions. Sometimes it requires removing some of the elements to get back to a place where you can match it up with the instructions. I guess it also depends on the size of the set. If you're talking about a Star Destroyer it might be easier to start from scratch. If you're talking about a smaller ~$35 set than you can probably figure it out from the instructions.

Personally I would break it down and start anew, if you have the time to spare. I guess I don't trust half jobs and wanna make sure with my own hands that the whole thing is right. And enjoy the full building experience of course!

Sounds like the loose parts are mixed together with multiple sets. Sometimes it's easier to have only the parts from the set sorted out and front of you. Taking time to elimate unessessary parts is usually a beneficial exercise. Get them organised. This way you only have to look through a smaller amout of bricks to find what is needed per step.

Thanks guys, think I'm going to break them down and start a new. The bodies of the ships will be easy to break and put to one side. I can have a good guess and other parts and them put that in the same bag. Then with whats left I might colour coordinate in bags (hoping this will be easier when I need to find a part)

Thanks again :)

Do you know what all the sets are? If not post pictures of the chunks you currently have and people will easily identify them.

1 hour ago, jainser said:

...I might colour coordinate in bags (hoping this will be easier when I need to find a part)...

In my experience it can be better to sort by type. It's easier to find that LBG 3L bar in a box of other colour bars than in a box of LBG everything.

1 hour ago, ukbajadave said:

Do you know what all the sets are? If not post pictures of the chunks you currently have and people will easily identify them.

In my experience it can be better to sort by type. It's easier to find that LBG 3L bar in a box of other colour bars than in a box of LBG everything.

It depends how many parts you have to sort through and how much space to spread them out. This is where long term storage is different to sorting out a bulk lot. If it is one big tub, I'd sort roughly by colour (all blues together, all greys together, etc), and within each colour pile sort roughly into bricks, plates and tiles, everything else. Any minifigs or unique looking parts, put to one side to help identify sets. You can normally split a huge pile quite quickly into about 30 piles to make finding things much quicker when sorting into sets, without needing to do a full sort into 100s of piles of individual bricks which often needs more space and a lot of sorting time before starting to sort into sets.

Whereas for storing a (much larger) collection, I'd never store 1x2 bricks mixed with 1x3 and 1x4 etc. There it makes sense to do a more detailed sort by part type. 

Edited by MAB

Good advice. Got another couple of kits for my birthday which I've just put together (all Star Wars) Made me even more excited about sorting the lot out in the loft!!

All going well so far. Even the ships that are part complete I have broken back down. These are of course in separate bags. Figured part of the fun is the building! Also started separating the colours as well. Once done I'll break these down even more.

4 down now and going ok (ish) Missing a few parts (lot of figures) but making do. It's like a lego explosion in the front room!!

^ In this case, you have quite a few built structures. Keep those together as identifying the set and checking inventories is much easier if they are still together. I can see you have a Pharaoh and Lady Liberty CMF in there and some older castle figures.

I've pretty much finished separating all the colours now. Popular colours like black and the (light & dark) grey I am breaking them down to bags within the main bag. Separating these into single blocks, double etc. Finished the Y-Wing last night. Took around 2 hours to source the parts (photocopied the list in the back of the instructions then high-lighted when found) 

Some of the older kits don't have the inventory list but found the parts list online so will do a similar things.

More 'wings' planned this weekend - My son is tackling the 'X' and I'm hitting the 'B' !!

Typically the Y-Wing was missing one very unique and crucial part :pir_mad:. Bricklink to the rescue. Got a horrible feeling I shall be visiting that site quite a bit!!!

Build up a list of missing parts, then go to BL. Otherwise you can end up spending a small fortune on postage.

On 2/8/2024 at 2:54 PM, MAB said:

Build up a list of missing parts, then go to BL. Otherwise you can end up spending a small fortune on postage.

Good point, did order the bit the the Y-wing as got impatience. As I realised I will a lot more it hit me. So I have opened a spreadsheet with a list. Finished General Grievous Starfighter today and all the bits where there!! Result :pir-laugh:  

Picking off a lot of the smaller ones to start - Initially found it a real pain sorting all the bits out but it ended up really helping as I'm startingto recognise some bits now and remember where I put them.

Next problem is where they're going to go, the shelves are filling up quick!

One more to go now. Can't believe how long this has taken and how much I've enjoyed it!

Next up are the Indiana Jones sets, no where near as many of these and I don't think there is as good a shape (all parts or at least most of them present) The star wars was a little easier as at least that started in its own box. The IJ parts are in 'general population'!!!