Clone OPatra

Disney Properties 2024 - Rumors & Discussion

34 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

With the much lower price and piece count, this has to be a different set. Either that or they completely redesigned it in the process! If it's not the survey leak set, I wouldn't expect any minifigs.

This one has to be the spiritual successor to the large Frozen set from a couple years ago, so it's very likely a minidoll set, sad as that is :cry_sad:

Can't wait for those! Definitely the highlights this year, alongside the Snow White cottage :thumbup:

Such a wasted opportunity! I do hope they will one day make the Maleficient dragon just like the one at Disney Springs! 

It does now make sense re the frozen castle set! Although I am looking forward of the colourful sets and hopefully some new animal molds (donkey, new colour of the toucan)

Shame we do not have any news of the Disney celebration ideas set - would love to know what minifigures are included! 

56 minutes ago, roselemontea said:

What sets do you think will have minifigures this year? 

Maybe another Mickey minifigure. We haven't got any this year.

I think the Anniversary set for Target, and the Maleficent survey leak both have to be minifig based.

Agree, and Encanto minifig set is long overdue. Merida, Beauty and the Beast, and Encanto are pending minifigs.

Let’s hope for Belle .. she’s the only ‘main’ Princess minifigure we’re missing now .. c’mon Lego 😁

4 hours ago, Jarreth2 said:

Let’s hope for Belle .. she’s the only ‘main’ Princess minifigure we’re missing now .. c’mon Lego 😁

The Target submission had Belle but no Beast. :(

@hikouki .. was that the one with the big Mickey Sorcerer’s Apprentice surrounded by all the characters ? Maybe they’ll include Beast and forgo some of the other characters ? But then does it become too Beauty and the Beast based ? Maybe with the Snow White set ( this week 😁😁😁 ) we might start to see more sets based on the films ? 🤞🏼

One of the designers of the Disney Castle, Ryan Van Woerkom, says in the Designer Video for the set that Beauty and the Beast is one of his favorite childhood films so he really worked on getting details from the film into the kitchen and dining room in the castle. Now I know designers don't necessarily have the last say on minifigures, but it seems odd to me that the film has such a presence in the castle, but no accompanying minifigures.

It certainly feels like the minifigures for the castle and the latest CMF series were chosen systematically e.g. Snow White and Prince Florian as they could be reused in the cottage. Tiana and Prince Naveen as Tiana is a reuse from the CMF, Aurora being in the CMF to go with Maleficent from the Icons set and theoretically to get her Prince in the possible dragon set.

That being said, it feels like Belle and the Beast have intentionally been left out for a future set, especially as Lego has given us Gaston in the Icons. So many people have mentioned a ballroom diorama for Beauty and the Beast that it wouldn't surprise me if that set showed up next year. The last Disney Castle stayed in production for many years after all so they have plenty of time to 'populate' the castle so to speak.

11 hours ago, Jarreth2 said:

@hikouki .. was that the one with the big Mickey Sorcerer’s Apprentice surrounded by all the characters ? Maybe they’ll include Beast and forgo some of the other characters ? But then does it become too Beauty and the Beast based ? Maybe with the Snow White set ( this week 😁😁😁 ) we might start to see more sets based on the films ? 🤞🏼

Yes, that one!!!

For me, if they trim down the line up of minifigs, I would be alright with that if they feature some badly-wanted ones, like BOTH Belle and Beast.

If Stitch appears again, Lilo better be there! If Aladdin appears, he should be featured in a different outfit and with some other minifig, etc, etc. 

10 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

One of the designers of the Disney Castle, Ryan Van Woerkom, says in the Designer Video for the set that Beauty and the Beast is one of his favorite childhood films so he really worked on getting details from the film into the kitchen and dining room in the castle. Now I know designers don't necessarily have the last say on minifigures, but it seems odd to me that the film has such a presence in the castle, but no accompanying minifigures.

It certainly feels like the minifigures for the castle and the latest CMF series were chosen systematically e.g. Snow White and Prince Florian as they could be reused in the cottage. Tiana and Prince Naveen as Tiana is a reuse from the CMF, Aurora being in the CMF to go with Maleficent from the Icons set and theoretically to get her Prince in the possible dragon set.

That being said, it feels like Belle and the Beast have intentionally been left out for a future set, especially as Lego has given us Gaston in the Icons. So many people have mentioned a ballroom diorama for Beauty and the Beast that it wouldn't surprise me if that set showed up next year. The last Disney Castle stayed in production for many years after all so they have plenty of time to 'populate' the castle so to speak.

People were expecting way more than just the number of prince/ princess couples that actually made it to that set! I think Lego cut the budget!

Makes you wonder what will become of Rapunzel and Flynn Ryder?

26 minutes ago, hikouki said:

People were expecting way more than just the number of prince/ princess couples that actually made it to that set! I think Lego cut the budget!

Makes you wonder what will become of Rapunzel and Flynn Ryder?

I think considering the first Disney Castle was pretty scant on the minifigure side of things, that getting four couples was quite good. I'd have love more, but that would have been too optimistic I think.

As much as I'd hate to devalue the castle figs, I would love to think that Rapunzel and Flynn might turn up in a more detailed Rapunzel's Tower, complete with Gothel and a Pascal who doesn't seem far too big in comparison to minifigures.

I said this was a day 1 purchase for me! 

Web site had so many issues for the first half hour - could not get through, then payment system does not work! Eventually got the cottage after 40+ minutes of trying!

On 2/25/2024 at 8:08 PM, Jarreth2 said:

Oh why only Belle?! I want BOTH Belle and the Beast…

Hi. Any chance for a new Story Book? I was waiting for one from Wish... well, and my daughters one from Pocahontas hahahahaha 
I know here you don't love microdolls :-D but my little girls loves those books :-)

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, akaseim said:

Hi. Any chance for a new Story Book? I was waiting for one from Wish... well, and my daughters one from Pocahontas hahahahaha 
I know here you don't love microdolls :-D but my little girls loves those books :-)

The rumors for the rest of the year don't mention anymore Story Books. Lego seems to have moved on to the jewelry boxes and the flower pot sets by the looks of the leaks. Moana's Flowerpot and Snow White's Jewelery Box are two sets supposedly releasing later this year, although the Snow White one might possibly get delayed until next year to tie in with the new movie. That's not to say Lego won't do more of the books next year, but I don't think we are getting anymore this year from what I can see.

Glad to see some love for Pocahontas. One of my favorite toys as a child was a Pocahontas Polly Pocket set, so very similar to a tiny Lego Story Book in some ways, and I'd love to get John, Meeko, Percy, Flit etc. I'm more for minifigures though. :classic:

Edited by BacktoBricks

1 hour ago, BacktoBricks said:

Glad to see some love for Pocahontas. One of my favorite toys as a child was a Pocahontas Polly Pocket set, so very similar to a tiny Lego Story Book in some ways, and I'd love to get John, Meeko, Percy, Flit etc. I'm more for minifigures though:classic:

I also like Pocahontas and I hope we get John Smith and Meeko one day. Since we got Tinkerbell and Jimminy as full minifigures, I think Meeko could also be a full minifigure.

Finished building the cottage set. It truly looks lovely especially next to Winnie the Pooh's house.

Space is a bit cramped inside though so it's hard to place the dwarfs around, like in their beds or at the dinner table. There seems to be a trend of the character's names being hidden. Like the flowers around Snow White's coffin almost completely cover up her name on both sides. The dwarfs' names on their beds are also barely visible because Doc's bed covers most of them.

Two other small nitpicks are that the wishing well could have been a bit higher (an easy fix) or that Grumpy's hat I feel is too light a brown. Hope that piece ends up coming out in more colors.

13 hours ago, Aramar said:

I also like Pocahontas and I hope we get John Smith and Meeko one day. Since we got Tinkerbell and Jimminy as full minifigures, I think Meeko could also be a full minifigure.

Meeko is a walkaround character in the Disney Parks, like Tinker Bell, Jiminy Cricket, Chip and Dale, so that is a possibility. Although so is Pluto and we didn't get a full minifigure for him. Personally I'd prefer a smaller version for Meeko and also Percy to match. It would be nice to see some birds appear in Lego form as well like Flit, Scuttle, Zazu, Iago, and Maleficent's raven Diablo.

Until we get an official John Smith minifigure, I would recommend this MOC design for him because you can more or less replicate him with all official pieces.

Screenshot-2024-03-02-035952.png

• bright light yellow hair from Thor
  • cocky grin face from Cedric Diggory/Solo
  • medium blue armor chestplate (never seen this in a set but it's available in this color on BL. You can also use the traditional silver/gray armor which also does the trick but I feel like using that makes him come across less like Disney's John Smith and more like a custom minifigure)
  • bright light blue torso from Fleur Delacour (it's hard to tell in the photo but it's a lighter shade of blue than the armor. It's the color of Cinderella's minifigure whereas the armor is the color of Stitch, Genie, and Alice).
  • legs from Oswald

@Lion King Oh don’t get me wrong I too want both Belle and the Beast, I just meant Belle is the only Princess currently missing. I think the only way Lego will put both of them in a set it’ll be when it’s their own set similar to this years Snow White. Not sure which location they’d pick .. my best guess would be the ballroom scene. 

3 hours ago, Jarreth2 said:

@Lion King Oh don’t get me wrong I too want both Belle and the Beast, I just meant Belle is the only Princess currently missing. I think the only way Lego will put both of them in a set it’ll be when it’s their own set similar to this years Snow White. Not sure which location they’d pick .. my best guess would be the ballroom scene. 

From this year, moving forward, I wonder if we could expect Lego to be making a set based on a classic? I know we could (would) be getting the Maleficent dragon later this year. But what could be next? No rumors yet...

6 hours ago, Jarreth2 said:

Yeah, I feel the ballroom scene is most iconic. I am not sure about the Beast’s chamber - it’s a room where the enchanted rose is kept, where the Beast tornhis room apart, where he was turned back into the human wiht Belle presents there. And wha about the dining room scene? You know, “be our guest” scene. 

3 hours ago, hikouki said:

From this year, moving forward, I wonder if we could expect Lego to be making a set based on a classic? I know we could (would) be getting the Maleficent dragon later this year. But what could be next? No rumors yet...

It would be interesting if Disney could get a D2C set every year depending on how well this one sells. We've also been lucky that we've had four Disney submissions made into sets from Lego Ideas between Steamboat Willie, Winnie the Pooh, Hocus Pocus, and The Nightmare Before Christmas. Of course, that isn't including the ones rejected (some over and over) like Ratatouille, Aladdin's Friend Like Me, Lilo & Stitch, Monsters Inc, etc.

Right now, there's a Mary Poppins set based on Cherry Tree Lane up for review but it's also been rejected in the past before. I've always wanted a Mary Poppins set and minifigures so I hope it gets approved but I also think the original submission was far superior. That one focused entirely on the 1964 classic. This new one, to justify another entry, incorporated Mary Poppins Returns and I can see that hurting it in the long run. That film was a flop and left no impact on audiences. Even Disney cancelled their Mary Poppins Epcot expansion afterwards so I can see the sequel's inclusion in this set hurting it. For example, Glynis Johns' Mrs. Banks was in the original submission but she was removed from the new one to make way for sequel characters. There's something particularly irksome about taking away the mother of the Banks children for a bunch of sequel nobodies, especially when the film's entire theme was about reuniting a family but then we might not be even able to that in the actual set. It feels even more out of touch considering Glynis Johns just passed away two months ago at the age of 100, so if the set does get approved, I hope Disney/Lego retools it to being just based on the original film again.

So as to what sets we could expect next, I feel the following are the most likely:

• Geppetto's Workshop from Pinocchio
  • Mad Tea Party from Alice in Wonderland
  • Ballroom diorama from Beauty and the Beast
  • Cherry Tree Lane from Mary Poppins
  • The Jolly Roger from Peter Pan (especially since there's been a lot of requests for a Disney pirate ship and Lego seems to love going back to Peter Pan. What people really want is a revamp of the Black Pearl from POTC but until there are more POTC movies again, I don't see that happening. And even if we do get more POTC movies, they likely won't feature Jack Sparrow anymore since Johnny Depp said he refuses to work with Disney again when they didn't support him, so I can see a new movies without him getting the Dial of Destiny treatment and no sets assuming those movies are ever even made).
30 minutes ago, Lion King said:

Yeah, I feel the ballroom scene is most iconic. I am not sure about the Beast’s chamber - it’s a room where the enchanted rose is kept, where the Beast tornhis room apart, where he was turned back into the human wiht Belle presents there. And wha about the dining room scene? You know, “be our guest” scene. 

BATB has so many iconic scenes that you can get away with making just about any of them into a diorama or set. The ballroom but also the West Wing, dining room, library, etc.

I could even see a village set like the Medieval Market Village, featuring Maurice and Belle's cottage, Gaston's tavern, the bookshop, the bakery, etc. with a bunch of minifigs based on the villagers like Belle, Maurice, Gaston, LeFou, the Bimbettes, the librarian, and the baker. You could throw in lots of animals too like the sheep at the fountain, the pigs and chickens at Belle's farm, and of course Philippe the horse. Maurice's contraption that Chip uses at the end to save Belle and Maurice from being locked up in the cellar could also find a place here.

4 minutes ago, JeanGreyForever said:

It would be interesting if Disney could get a D2C set every year depending on how well this one sells. We've also been lucky that we've had four Disney submissions made into sets from Lego Ideas between Steamboat Willie, Winnie the Pooh, Hocus Pocus, and The Nightmare Before Christmas. Of course, that isn't including the ones rejected (some over and over) like Ratatouille, Aladdin's Friend Like Me, Lilo & Stitch, Monsters Inc, etc.

Right now, there's a Mary Poppins set based on Cherry Tree Lane up for review but it's also been rejected in the past before. I've always wanted a Mary Poppins set and minifigures so I hope it gets approved but I also think the original submission was far superior. That one focused entirely on the 1964 classic. This new one, to justify another entry, incorporated Mary Poppins Returns and I can see that hurting it in the long run. That film was a flop and left no impact on audiences. Even Disney cancelled their Mary Poppins Epcot expansion afterwards so I can see the sequel's inclusion in this set hurting it. For example, Glynis Johns' Mrs. Banks was in the original submission but she was removed from the new one to make way for sequel characters. There's something particularly irksome about taking away the mother of the Banks children for a bunch of sequel nobodies, especially when the film's entire theme was about reuniting a family but then we might not be even able to that in the actual set. It feels even more out of touch considering Glynis Johns just passed away two months ago at the age of 100, so if the set does get approved, I hope Disney/Lego retools it to being just based on the original film again.

So as to what sets we could expect next, I feel the following are the most likely:

• Geppetto's Workshop from Pinocchio
  • Mad Tea Party from Alice in Wonderland
  • Ballroom diorama from Beauty and the Beast
  • Cherry Tree Lane from Mary Poppins
  • The Jolly Roger from Peter Pan (especially since there's been a lot of requests for a Disney pirate ship and Lego seems to love going back to Peter Pan. What people really want is a revamp of the Black Pearl from POTC but until there are more POTC movies again, I don't see that happening. And even if we do get more POTC movies, they likely won't feature Jack Sparrow anymore since Johnny Depp said he refuses to work with Disney again when they didn't support him, so I can see a new movies without him getting the Dial of Destiny treatment and no sets assuming those movies are ever even made).

I would throw serious money at a Mary Poppins set but I understand its a more niche IP than others. Fun fact: this year is the 60th anniversary of the film. Honestly though, I feel like a Jolly Holiday set has more chances of getting made. The costumes are a bit more vibrant and unique than their London garb and are familiar to those who go to the parks. Penguins in bow ties, a merry go round or a small farm build would sell as a playset more than the standard doll house.

But Id be happy to get them in a CMF too.

8 minutes ago, OttoRiver said:

I would throw serious money at a Mary Poppins set but I understand its a more niche IP than others. Fun fact: this year is the 60th anniversary of the film. Honestly though, I feel like a Jolly Holiday set has more chances of getting made. The costumes are a bit more vibrant and unique than their London garb and are familiar to those who go to the parks. Penguins in bow ties, a merry go round or a small farm build would sell as a playset more than the standard doll house.

But Id be happy to get them in a CMF too.

It's probably the most iconic family film after The Wizard of Oz and Oz never got any sets either, so I wonder if that indicates that Lego thinks these films wouldn't be able to sell standalone sets.

This year is actually the anniversary for a lot of Disney classics besides Mary Poppins including Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, and The Lion King (also Tarzan but Disney doesn't have the rights for that anymore). We're getting Sleeping Beauty and Lion King sets this year so maybe fingers crossed for Mary Poppins or at least the announcement of the Lego Ideas set being approved. 

Good point about Jolly Holiday. In fact, when Barbie did a line of Mary Poppins dolls many years ago, they also stuck with the Jolly Holiday theme for Mary Poppins, Bert, and the Banks Children. You could easily make a carousel set out of it with the horses. Throw in some penguin waters or the band. Maybe they could even power the carousel to make it rotate on its own?

2 hours ago, JeanGreyForever said:

BATB has so many iconic scenes that you can get away with making just about any of them into a diorama or set. The ballroom but also the West Wing, dining room, library, etc.

I could even see a village set like the Medieval Market Village, featuring Maurice and Belle's cottage, Gaston's tavern, the bookshop, the bakery, etc. with a bunch of minifigs based on the villagers like Belle, Maurice, Gaston, LeFou, the Bimbettes, the librarian, and the baker. You could throw in lots of animals too like the sheep at the fountain, the pigs and chickens at Belle's farm, and of course Philippe the horse. Maurice's contraption that Chip uses at the end to save Belle and Maurice from being locked up in the cellar could also find a place here.

Agreed, I don’t think they would do village set either.  Plus, we don’t see too. Much inside the village buildings except for library. So I would imagine that Lego do “makeup” to creature interiors following Diagon Alley set’s example. 

However, I think Belle and Maurice’s cottage is more fitting to be a set or diorama. It does have 3 different occasions - one with Gastron’s failed  marriage attempt, one with angry mob, and one with Maurice’s failed invention (at the very beginning of he movie). However, we have Snow White Cottage and Sanderson Sisters’ Cottage on shelves, i don’t think they will do another cottage at the moment. 

So in, in my opinion, ballroom, the dining room, the library, and the Beast’s chamber are more potential. But I am leaning toward ballroom diorama more than others. The ballroom is such a magicians place to see!

Posted (edited)

@OttoRiver I think a Jolly Holiday carousel might work .. imagine the horses in those pastel colours and as there’s only 4 it wouldn’t need to be huge .. al so perhaps a side build of the Waiter Penguins too .. also have you see Danny Bretton’s Jolly Holiday Mary figure illustration .. it’s stunning 😍

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3fo_0TLS9s/

Re B&B .. for me the only thing that comes to mind regarding Cottage / Village / Be Our Guest is that the Beast is never present at any of these scenes. With the Ballroom scene he’s there in both Beast and human form as they dance at the end. That could also be a good way to get human versions of Lumiere,Cogsworth and Mrs Potts and Chip too 😁

Edited by Jarreth2

2 hours ago, Jarreth2 said:

@OttoRiver I think a Jolly Holiday carousel might work .. imagine the horses in those pastel colours and as there’s only 4 it wouldn’t need to be huge .. al so perhaps a side build of the Waiter Penguins too .. also have you see Danny Bretton’s Jolly Holiday Mary figure illustration .. it’s stunning 😍

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3fo_0TLS9s/

It's so pretty.

With all this talk, do we think there are any films where sets just don't work, best to get the characters in a CMF or variety type set? I'm just thinking of something like Bambi where no scene makes itself a compelling set and Bambi showing up in the camera set is probably the only way we would have gotten him.