Sign in to follow this  

Alright, it's been a busy fall, so a holiday recovery build is just what the doctor ordered. I had lots of ideas for this contest, but since I have about 10 days to finish this, this is the idea that I has the greatest chance of being completed.

I settled on something in the theme of the Arctic Technic sets from the 80 for one reason only: The Skis! So naturally, the build needs to have the Technic figs (though I don't have any of the winter ones), and a place to fit some skis and poles. Tracks are a must in my mind for an arctic build, so a little runabout was the final decision.

After a little time setting dimensions and fitting mechanism, here is what I got.

Front/rear suspension, rear engine, and steering so far.

800x600.jpeg

We'll see if I get this done.

Glad you’re doing an entry. The fact I had a figure and some skis led to my colour choices too. Looking forward to how this turns out. Don’t forget a splash of red and yellow

Edited by Seasider

Great that you have finally join to the contest. I'm impatiently waiting for your progress and keep my fingers crossed that you will be able to complete the model until contest will be closed.

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

Glad you’re doing an entry. The fact I had a figure and some skis led to my colour choices too. Looking forward to how this turns out. Don’t forget a splash of red and yellow

Thanks, yeah the skis were a must. Yellow will be for the tracks, and red for the bumpers. At least that’s the idea right now. We’ll see if it lasts. 

2 hours ago, artemisovsky said:

Great that you have finally join to the contest. I'm impatiently waiting for your progress and keep my fingers crossed that you will be able to complete the model until contest will be closed.

Me too! We’ll see if it happens. 

On 12/29/2023 at 12:37 PM, Maaboo the Witch said:

I just have to.

Yeah, I needed a musical reference to best reflect the quality of the build.

Ok, a little update. The frame can now support itself, and the engine has been updated. Suspension is close to final.

800x600.jpeg

Now on to some bodywork. I might see if I can bring down the roof a stud too, it's a little tall for my eyes.

Alright, this is done just in the nick of time.

Features:

• Steering with HOG
  • Front wishbone suspension
  • Rear swingarm suspension
  • Rear wheel drive with flat 2 engine
  • Two skiiers

800x533.jpeg

800x533.jpeg

800x533.jpeg

It has place for the skis and poles, and of course two old Technic figs are there.

I have the Studio file with all the steps done (goodness, I hate tracks). I'll have instructions for this posted by tomorrow. I think....

800x600.png

I hope you enjoy.

It's gorgeous. And you manage to capture this 80's retro vibe in spite of the modern parts.

6 hours ago, karmadrome said:

It's gorgeous. And you manage to capture this 80's retro vibe in spite of the modern parts.

Thanks, and I am happy you like the style. 

Not sure that the width of it could make it compatible with my station?

The only way to know it is to build it, True?

I'll try to do so this evening

Because i found this build in the right spirit of this contest and becaus i like it:wink:

58 minutes ago, steph77 said:

Not sure that the width of it could make it compatible with my station?

The only way to know it is to build it, True?

I'll try to do so this evening

Because i found this build in the right spirit of this contest and becaus i like it:wink:

It's 19 modules wide on the outside of the tracks. Both front and rear.

But yeah, you should build it. I tried to have the spirit of old Technic Arctic come through, so I'm happy you see it.

Great little model there, very in keeping with the classic technic Arctic sets

On 1/9/2024 at 9:02 AM, Seasider said:

Great little model there, very in keeping with the classic technic Arctic sets

Thanks again. It's great to participate in another contest, and anything that connects to my nostalgic bone I'm excited about.