Ngoc Nguyen

42181 VTOL Heavy Cargo Spaceship LT81

10 hours ago, SNIPE said:

Ohh, the surface space  loader has 1 , I see now :), well, this set is certainly better than 42180 at least.
could you do me a favor if possible, and show the 42145 set but with the dune orthcopter blades attached ?

I really wanna see that (!badly!).

regards, Snipe

I would if I had the Ornithopter. Still waiting for a decent discount on that.

10 hours ago, SNIPE said:

Ohh, the surface space  loader has 1 , I see now :), well, this set is certainly better than 42180 at least.
could you do me a favor if possible, and show the 42145 set but with the dune orthcopter blades attached ?

I really wanna see that (!badly!).

regards, Snipe

I can arrange that, but I will need to finish the 42145 first :laugh:

1 hour ago, Jim said:

I can arrange that, but I will need to finish the 42145 first :laugh:

Any chance for a 42145 mini review :laugh:

31 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Any chance for a 42145 mini review :laugh:

LoL

Actually will be doing a mini review of the Ornithopter. I have ordered parts to replace the colored pins etc. I will post in in Technic first. Might take some time before I finish it.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Jim said:

LoL

Actually will be doing a mini review of the Ornithopter. I have ordered parts to replace the colored pins etc. I will post in in Technic first. Might take some time before I finish it.

@Jim - I did a very deep recolour on my ornithopter, I posted a list of everything I changed in the thread in the licensed area you may want to take a look. I can share a photo or take new ones if you need.

Edited by Seasider

I'm bumping this topic, because I decided to give in, and finally bought this set. It's a neat set that does something different, and it offers a nice range of new parts, including some frames, a few panels, and parts in reddish orange.

I really like the functionality it has, even though the set is still mostly empty (not even counting the space around the handle, which serves a clear purpose). It's mostly a few large frames, connected by pins and then clad with a few blocky panels. And then a whole lot of parts are spent on detailing, including the engines which aren't even visible in the end result. The result is that it doesn't feel like 1300 parts.

But it has some really nice and original mechanisms that score big points for me:

• The folding legs are nice!
  • The bottom gripper is nice!
  • The fact that everything is controlled by a single hand using the handle is nice!
  • The rotating thrusters are rather basic, but still nice.

I also like that it's really efficient with parts. Similar to for example 42070, it doesn't feel over-engineered. The big frames and panels make it rather sturdy with only a few large pieces. That has a certain elegance. The downside of this is that there are relatively little medium-sized parts. It's a few large chunks, connected by tiny pins.

The fact that it's mostly empty means it's a great base for modding. So I'll be modding this and doing my own take on it. (not a B-model of any kind.) I did this before with 42064 Ocean Explorer and 42083 Bugatti Chiron and even with 42025's B model Hovercraft, and it's a fun way for me to play with a Technic set, beyond just building it.

Not sure if it's called bumping if it's a topic about a currently available set :laugh:

Looking forward to your mods. Still need to build my copy. Another thing I do like about this set is the price. It's quite afforable, which is nice.