JohnsLegos

Looking to switch engine/locomotive

I have the 60197 set and use the engine to pull around a freight type set of cars. I would like to change out the engine for something that would pull a freight train. I was watching a video I made of the train pulling the cars around and it just does not look right. I really do not need to buy a whole set because I have all the track I need. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Looking at the more recent sets there are quite a few cargo/freight trains.

The engine from set 60052 has a North American look, whilst the engines from sets sets like 60336, 60198 and 60098 look more European with cabs on both ends.

And if you scroll through the forum there are a lot of MOC's that might be of interest. 

I looked at the 60052 set and that is actually the engine I was looking for. I remember looking around at the local Toys R Us back then (that is really when I got back into Lego) and seeing this set on the shelf. I looked around Bricklink hoping to find the engine by itself but only found the set (bummer) I guess the only was to get the engine I want is to buy (or download) the instructions and purchase all the parts off of Bricklink and make it myself. One other question: if I was to build this engine, would the controller for the 60197 control this engine or would I need to find the one for it?

You can swap it over to the Powered Up box and motor with almost no modifications. Only thing may be accommodating access to the power button, but that shouldn't be difficult. 

SD

2 hours ago, JohnsLegos said:

A dumb thought: could I use the motor from the 60197 to go in the 60052 engine or is it different? 

@JohnsLegos - 60052 is Power Functions, while 60197 is Powered UP. They are different systems with different plugs which are not compatible with each other. You have as battery box and motor with PU, and battery box, motor, and infrared sensor with PF. PU can be controlled with your phone via Bluetooth or a remote, whereas PF needs a remote and can't do it with your phone since it doesn't run with Bluetooth. (side note: Since Powered UP will be gone soon from what I've read, so don't use the app as Lego apps are notorious for being outmoded when the systems are replaced.) I would personally do Powered UP since it doesn't need a separate sensor block, but I would buy the remote instead of using my phone. You will need to slightly modify 60052.

I hope this answers your question.

Edited by Murdoch17

Motor is just a different plug, it'll fit into the same space fine. And you already have the controller from 60197 so you're good.

SD

The reply Murdoch 17 made I mis-worded my reply. It should have been: can I use my motor and battery pack from my 60197 to go into the bottom plate of the 60052 to run the engine. Sorry about that everyone.

8 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

(side note: Since Powered UP will be gone soon from what I've read, so don't use the app as Lego apps are notorious for being outmoded when the systems are replaced.)

What makes you say that??

6 hours ago, Venderwel said:

What makes you say that??

I can't find the post I thought I read about PU going away in... must've dreamt it. Sorry for the confusion!

As for the apps part, Lego apps never stick around. They are removed from the app stores and basically stop working.

Edited by Murdoch17