MG Metro 6r4 is a car that has always fascinated me, it was a truly diabolical idea ahead of its time.

640x360.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYSIwYRomTw

I built this model in 2016 but never recorded a video and didn't show it on the forum. I wanted to take it to some nice motoring event, to a photo and video session, but it didn't work out.

This is what the prototype looked like.

640x360.jpg

Then I waited a long time for the stickers and finally I decided to take it apart and that was the last moment to publish it, so here it is.

640x360.jpg

Now, it's not unusual to make WRC cars out of city cars, see e.g. Toyota Yaris. But in the 1980s, more representative models were chosen as bases for rally cars.

Meanwhile, MG used probably one of the most boring cars in history, the Austin Metro, as the basis for building this monster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Metro

The effect, surprisingly, was amazing: one of the most iconic rally cars in history was created.

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg

The model is not particularly original and full of innovative solutions, especially since it is already 7 years old. But there are a few curiosities that hide.
First of all, it has four-wheel drive and independent suspension of all wheels,

which with the width of the car required the use of floating differentials (they move with the suspension),

and while at the rear it did not cause any special problems, at the front it required the use of a steering system floating together with the differential.

And it wasn't that easy, especially since I wanted to have the steering wheel still working.

In the end, it all worked out, but the front suspension only becomes fully rigid when the body is fitted.

It was my first model with a body designed from the beginning as an easily removable structure. It can be removed after removing the 6 pins.
At one time, I was very pleased with the simple mechanism of latching the doors and the complicated way of installing the panel above the front wheel arch.

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg

Edited by Samolot

Such an awesome build! 

would love to see more on the floating front suspension/steering if there are any pics of mid build?

love the removable body and stylistically I think you hit the nail on the head 👍👍

Great cars 6R4s I knew someone who had one and took it to the pub each week during the summer.

I also remember seeing a large scale brick built 6R4 as part of a collection at  Bricktastic show in Manchester this year.