Yperio_Bricks

[POLL] Favorite Lego Pirates Faction

Choose your favorite Lego Pirates faction!  

37 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Choose your favorite Lego Pirates faction!

• Pirates
    • Islanders
    • Bluecoats
    • Redcoats
    • Armada
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/07/23 at 04:00 PM

16 hours ago, Florida Man said:

I went with Armada because they deserved better. Lego should bring back the Armada sets. 

I agree. While the Imperial soldiers and Imperials Guards are my favorite factions the Armada should've gotten more sets. Now would be the perfect time to reintroduce the pirates theme with a full lineup of pirates vs armada sets. They could time it so that it would release when the Eldorado Fortress and the Creator Pirate Ship retires. The lineup should include mostly regular sets and maybe a 18+ set like a huge Armada ship.

Was Armada the first theme that brought us the conquistador helmet? I had only one of these helmets as a kid and still have it today (one of the very few pieces i kept from my childhood Lego).

21 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Was Armada the first theme that brought us the conquistador helmet? I had only one of these helmets as a kid and still have it today (one of the very few pieces i kept from my childhood Lego).

Yes. They were the first to use that helmet in 1996 along with Time Cruisers.

Few days left to vote. Pirates got a comfortable lead now while bluecoats and redcoats are tied for second.

At facebook Pirates lead with roughly the same percentage but bluecoats are at 30% while the rest bob around 10%.

It's hard for me to decide on who I like better blue coats or red coats (for second place). Blue coats came first, so the red coats are kinda just a copy of them. Having said that, the original red coats look better than the original blue coats imo. But... The 2009 red coats are just ok imo, while both the 2015 and 2023 blue coats are REALLY nice imo. 

On 10/24/2023 at 6:48 PM, Mazin said:

Were any minifigs oficialy marked as civilians/merchants/some-sort-of-neutrals? Or are there any minifigs from that era widely considered as "neutrals" by the fandom? 

Isn't there a merchant trader in the Imperial Trading Post?

20 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

Isn't there a merchant trader in the Imperial Trading Post?

At brickset they are all listed as pirates but maybe that does not mean anything :pir_laugh2:

1 hour ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

At brickset they are all listed as pirates but maybe that does not mean anything :pir_laugh2:

I'm specifically thinking of the minifigure with the red beard and that one torso which looks more formal than the usual piratewear (maybe it has a neckerchief? I can't remember exactly and I'm lost without Bricklink to check!)

59 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

I'm specifically thinking of the minifigure with the red beard and that one torso which looks more formal than the usual piratewear (maybe it has a neckerchief? I can't remember exactly and I'm lost without Bricklink to check!)

I always use brickset for research. Bricklink looks like it's still 1999 :pir_laugh2:

pi054.png

PI054: Pirate Brown Vest Ascot, Blue Legs, Brown Pirate Triangle Hat

1 minute ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

I always use brickset for research. Bricklink looks like it's still 1999 :pir_laugh2:

Lol, I'm the opposite, I can't stand Brickset because of the interface and their insistence on using TLG colour names which just aren't intuitive.

I think looking at instructions that the fig could be seen as a civilian (and I personally think he is) because he's shown sailing a boat which bears a flag other than the skull-and-crossbones. The conceit of the Imperial Trading Post is obviously that there's trading going on, and that guy is shown as the captain of the trading vessel - which presumably isn't the pirates, else why would they be rocking up trying to steal everything from the trading post? Obviously those sets didn't actually name the minifigures so the names in the databases are going to be subjective, and since he's the only potentially-civilian fig, it's easy to see why he would be listed as a pirate.

12 minutes ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

His name is Steve, Pirate Steve. He also came on the Skulls eye Schooner.

But in SES he's a little different with a black hat and grey legs.

pi053.png vs pi054.png

From the picture of the Imperial Trading post it's hard to tell which role Lego intended for him and he is also wielding a sword, but from the print of the sail i think it's fair to assume he is a civilian merchant. And since i voted "other" with civilians in mind, i'm going with this story and agree with @Alexandrina The flag of his ships sports red and yellow and that also differs from imperials and pirates. But i am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to Lego Pirates lore so i don't know if red/yellow has a meaning :pir_laugh2:

3 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

pi053.png vs pi054.png

From the picture of the Imperial Trading post it's hard to tell which role Lego intended for him and he is also wielding a sword, but from the print of the sail i think it's fair to assume he is a civilian merchant. And since i voted "other" with civilians in mind, i'm going with this story and agree with @Alexandrina The flag of his ships sports red and yellow and that also differs from imperials and pirates. But i am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to Lego Pirates lore so i don't know if red/yellow has a meaning :pir_laugh2:

That's true about the hats and the legs. Having said that, it's the head and torso that rare, the rest of the Minifig is pretty common stuff.

3 minutes ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

That's true about the hats and the legs. Having said that, it's the head and torso that rare, the rest of the Minifig is pretty common stuff.

That being said, the Imperial Trading Post came first iirc. It's entirely possible that the torso was designed with the intention of having it be a merchant, and then reused for Skull's Eye Schooner because it was a pirate-like torso that existed. Not as if Lego are opposed to reusing torsos outside their original context.

12 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

I also feel like one fig has a faceprint in red & the other has it in dark red. Bricklink is currently unavailable, so gotta wait to check out if it's actually the case.

14 hours ago, F1stzz said:

I also feel like one fig has a faceprint in red & the other has it in dark red. Bricklink is currently unavailable, so gotta wait to check out if it's actually the case.

I'm pretty sure the head is the same.

11 hours ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

I'll be talking about this poll on my show tomorrow!!

Looking forward to your stream :pir-huzzah2:

Thanks everyone for your votes! The new poll is up:

6 hours ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

The COMMUNITY has SPOKEN!! FULL RESULTS HERE!!

Oh blast!  Being busy as usual  I voted in the Facebook poll but completely overlooked the forum poll! :pir_laugh2:

Brilliant video commentary of both polls, @Captain Pirate Man -  you're a treasure! pir-chest.png