Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

Share your photos of 40597 Scary Pirate Island - official builds mods, customizations and complete remakes - show us what you've done with it!

image.png

Dear LEGO Pirate fans,

For an upcoming blog post we're seeking photos of 40597 Scary Pirate Island whether they be:

• Direct builds as per the instructions
  • Modifications/improvements you've made - have you made tweaks to make the design better?
  • Customizations  - beyond minor improvements, have you introduced your own elements?  E.g. custom minifigure design
  • Remakes or reinterpretations - going to the fullest extreme, have completely remade/overhauled the set from the ground up?

Many fans felt that the set could have been better executed - so show us how you've improved upon the official design?

Is there a deadline? I will build upon the gwp to get something more to my taste but not sure it will be right away. Thx.

1 hour ago, Arjo said:

Is there a deadline?

Not as such, but it's intended for a blog post to be published in the near future.

Speaking of mods & customisations — here's a "Shark Head Island" created by TheGreenBrick using 3 copies of 40597 + some additional pieces :thumbup:

I like what he did with the cave, the fort not so much (red/black/brown is a rough combination in my eye but I get the part limitation he set for himself as a constraint on this project). I will try to MOC something too, but using other parts, for a footprint of 32x32.

Agreed! No drastic changes or crazy amount of parts required… gwp could/should have been that! A handful of parts away from a pretty cool set. Personally, still happy enough at the threshold it was at, because it is a genuinely good parts pack.

IMG_1991

when the cursed ruby is removed…

IMG_1992

the dead…

IMG_1993

come back…

IMG_1994

to take…

IMG_1995

whats theirs…

IMG_1996

In all seriousness though, I must recommend this build to pirate fans. 
 I was not impressed upon seeing the preview images but once I got it in person and began building it, a lot of the old style pirates charm came back. 
 Smaller build, but with a great look and feel. If you can get your hands on this, do it; for a low price on the secondary market, it’s well and truely worth it!

Nice little story! :pir-triumph:

I am still a bit shocked that none builds all the sets (BOBB, Eldorado, GWPs) on tiled water MILS plates for an modular layout. I'd do it, but i don't have any of the sets :pir_laugh2:

11 hours ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

I OFFICIALLY built and added this alt build to my display. I will have a video on it in the near future. I'll post it in here, when it's ready.

Such exciting news! :pir-stareyes:

5 hours ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

Spoiler: I like it MUCH better than the official build.

Aye, I've seen much praise for this alternate build around the traps meself!