xoona

[ENTRY] Great Pirate Treasure (Mini Set)

Great Pirate Treasure - 49 Pieces

Jack and John, also known as the Pirate-Brothers, take loving care of their ever-growing treasure. Especially the golden frogs and goblets are regularly polished to a high gloss. Her greatest treasure is her father's hat, he was a great pirate captain.

Here we see the two after they've just poured another batch of treasures out of their chest. In the near future they will need a bigger cave. Her parrot James is her faithful companion, he loves the treasure too. He likes the golden chicken the most, that's why John and Jack will never sell it.

This photo shows the newer Version (20.08.2023) after creating a cleaner look. Jack and John are very happy: more space for more treasures :-)

neu3.jpg

This was the first version. Thanks for advice.

IMG_9501a2.jpgIMG_9516a.jpg

49 pieces. I used 2 older minifigs and new and old parts from my stuff. The Chest is empty.

Edited by xoona
newer version / problems with the fotos first

Your image links aren't working! if you could fix that I'd love to see what you've come up with!

5 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Your image links aren't working! if you could fix that I'd love to see what you've come up with!

They are working just fine for me.

I like the arrangement of all the stuff in you build. The frogs are very legolike ;).

36 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Can you see them now?

21 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

They are working just fine for me.

I like the arrangement of all the stuff in you build. The frogs are very legolike ;).

Thank you. I like the golden frogs very much.

1 hour ago, xoona said:

Can you see them now?

Unfortunately, no! It just gives me an BrickSafe placeholder image that says "404 Brick Not Found" (even if I refresh or open the topic in a different browser). I'm not sure why it's working for others but not for me, but I'm not sure what else to try if it is an issue on my end. Sorry about that! :sceptic:

9 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

but I'm not sure what else to try if it is an issue on my end.

Not only on yer end, on mine too! :pir-sceptic: I too see only the error, no idea what the issue might be.

44 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Unfortunately, no! It just gives me an BrickSafe placeholder image that says "404 Brick Not Found" (even if I refresh or open the topic in a different browser). I'm not sure why it's working for others but not for me, but I'm not sure what else to try if it is an issue on my end. Sorry about that! :sceptic:

I'm very sorry. I load the pictures again, do you see them now? 

52 minutes ago, xoona said:

I'm very sorry. I load the pictures again, do you see them now? 

Yeah, that seems to have done the trick! Thanks so much. :thumbup:

You've certainly created a dazzling array of treasures here! If I had one critique, it's that having most of the treasures on the floor results in a fairly flat-looking composition. It might look more interesting and exciting if some of the treasures could be piled up higher. The barrel on the far left is a good start since it lets you attach the parrot, bottle, and one of the coins higher up than the other treasures.

Perhaps if you added another slightly taller build (like a brick-built throne, a golden/marble statue, or a tall torchère/candelabra) to the right-hand side, it would create a nice balance that helps to visually frame the two pirates in the center bringing in their latest treasure! A brick-built treasure like that could also help your model feel more unique in terms of construction, instead of just seeming like a parts pack/accessory pack.

Edited by Aanchir

8 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Yeah, that seems to have done the trick! Thanks so much. :thumbup:

You've certainly created a dazzling array of treasures here! If I had one critique, it's that having most of the treasures on the floor results in a fairly flat-looking composition. It might look more interesting and exciting if some of the treasures could be piled up higher. The barrel on the far left is a good start since it lets you attach the parrot, bottle, and one of the coins higher up than the other treasures.

Perhaps if you added another slightly taller build (like a brick-built throne, a golden/marble statue, or a tall torchère/candelabra) to the right-hand side, it would create a nice balance that helps to visually frame the two pirates in the center bringing in their latest treasure! A brick-built treasure like that could also help your model feel more unique in terms of construction, instead of just seeming like a parts pack/accessory pack.

Thank you. Seems Jack and John didn't want to show off their pirate treasure. I'll try to organize things better tomorrow.

A nice set indeed, but perhaps it needs a bit more backstory on the anchor and flag, and some rock formation, to lead people to believe that there is a cave somewhere nearby, other than this happy building, :)

Edited by Rogue Redcoat

This is a great little parts pack with some neat minifigures!  The parrot and the bicorne allow for some nice storytelling, although the pirates have no weapons to fight over the hat.

I do wish there was more of a "build" here -- it's more-or-less just a pile of treasure as it is, and while I understand that is the point, it would be nice if there was just a bit more to it.  Perhaps a brick-built large treasure chest?

A very simple set, but how rich it is! Wow, did anyone ever come up with this idea? To create a minibuild that would consist almost entirely out of treasure? ;) No memories like that in my mind. So it's very smart actually. I guess lots of kids would ask their mother to buy it, as it would surely provide fabulous storytelling values. And they of course it would give them bragging rights to confront their friends' collections :) I wonder if Lego would allow this kind of set tho, as i have a feeling that they would prefer to spread all those diamonds, coinds and golden artifacts all over different toy packages, so that kids would buy more of them, should they want to collect more riches of the pirate world.

Still, i'd totally go for it and green light it. I like the way it is. Lots of other interesting parts, even the lack of weapons is sort of excused here as we have plenty of other cool stuff and i guess, folks who would buy this set, would probably grab an another cheap figure pack, to go with it. So well done. I'm a bit worried if it should receive a proper minibuild to go with it tho, some folks might argue that their's no real design it. It's only design is planning which parts could be included. Does it count? I don't know. 

I know tho, that i'd refinitely chose it over many other mini entries, that might offer nicer builds, but can't offer so many riches, so much play value and bragging rights as this one ;) This is one definitely got the charm of classic stuff, i'm so much lookign for.

I'm curious if any pieces could be sacrified to make it even more attractive tho, like say, if You'd get rid of one of those chalices, and replace that with a spider, or a rat, or ven a croc, it would probably stand out even more while still offering visually the same amount of gold, wouldn't it? 

Plus, i don't want to jump into safe decisions, but probably switching those ordinary pirates into more characteristic type, like Captain Redbeard with a female bandada companion, or One-Eyed Jack would make it more appealing. But then i guess You'd prefer to keep Your own characters as they are and nothing wrong with that :) 

On 8/21/2023 at 5:49 PM, Rogue Redcoat said:

A nice set indeed, but perhaps it needs a bit more backstory on the anchor and flag, and some rock formation, to lead people to believe that there is a cave somewhere nearby, other than this happy building, :)

There is a very sad story behind the anchor.
It's the last thing left from her mother's ship. Her mother, a great pirate, disappeared one day along with her ship without a trace. Except for the anchor.
So Jack and John keep him with their treasures. The flag was a present for Jack's 8th birthday from his grandfather, also a pirate captain.
Edited by xoona
Text error

On 8/22/2023 at 2:39 PM, Mazin said:

A very simple set, but how rich it is! Wow, did anyone ever come up with this idea? To create a minibuild that would consist almost entirely out of treasure? ;) No memories like that in my mind. So it's very smart actually. I guess lots of kids would ask their mother to buy it, as it would surely provide fabulous storytelling values. And they of course it would give them bragging rights to confront their friends' collections :) I wonder if Lego would allow this kind of set tho, as i have a feeling that they would prefer to spread all those diamonds, coinds and golden artifacts all over different toy packages, so that kids would buy more of them, should they want to collect more riches of the pirate world.

Still, i'd totally go for it and green light it. I like the way it is. Lots of other interesting parts, even the lack of weapons is sort of excused here as we have plenty of other cool stuff and i guess, folks who would buy this set, would probably grab an another cheap figure pack, to go with it. So well done. I'm a bit worried if it should receive a proper minibuild to go with it tho, some folks might argue that their's no real design it. It's only design is planning which parts could be included. Does it count? I don't know. 

I know tho, that i'd refinitely chose it over many other mini entries, that might offer nicer builds, but can't offer so many riches, so much play value and bragging rights as this one ;) This is one definitely got the charm of classic stuff, i'm so much lookign for.

I'm curious if any pieces could be sacrified to make it even more attractive tho, like say, if You'd get rid of one of those chalices, and replace that with a spider, or a rat, or ven a croc, it would probably stand out even more while still offering visually the same amount of gold, wouldn't it? 

Plus, i don't want to jump into safe decisions, but probably switching those ordinary pirates into more characteristic type, like Captain Redbeard with a female bandada companion, or One-Eyed Jack would make it more appealing. But then i guess You'd prefer to keep Your own characters as they are and nothing wrong with that :) 

Thank you!

HERE ARE MY FINAL THOUGHTS AND REASONS WHY I'VE DECIDED TO RANK THIS SET AS THE 4TH PLACE IN MINI SET BUILDING CATEGORY

sddsfgh I've decided to nominate it because it's one so briliantly obvious set no one have ever thought about. A mini supply pack containing nothing but treasure! How cool is that? How is it that no one has ever come up with this simple, but magnificent idea. After all, what are Pirates after all, and what are they mostly associated right after their looks and their ships? Tresure! Diamons, coins, golden argifacts, chests overflowed with all this shiny stuff and even more hidden in caves or available for those eager to complete a marathon of traps.

And i honestly must admit, as much as i loved classic Pirates i always had this feeling that there could be a few more coins provided, that all those chests didn't make much sense since they were almost empty, and every little coin lost during plays was a good reason for mourning. Now this is the set that can fix it. As it provided not only great amound of valueables that can be used for all sorts of scenarios, but it gives bragging rights for those who will claim it! After all, gold and diamons always were and will be wanted, whether they are part of the real world, or movies, or cartoons, or comics, or games, or toys...

Still, there was some confusion whether this set should be allowed into the Contests as there's no build in here, it's just a bunch of sellected stuff that could be thrown into a package together. And that's why it lands only on the 4th place in my own selection.