VBBN

Bionicle 2009 Images and Discussion

So much silver. So, so much...

Oh come on, it's not that bad. Nowhere near Mistika-bad, at the very least. Unless you mean on the vehicles. The canisters cary no silver aside from some weapons.

Kiina would be so awesome if her torso didn't suck so much.

So let's go down the set list.

Kiina: Loooove the armor, mask and weapons, and especially the Light Blue. Body sucks so bad it's not funny. ._. Cover the Hordika necks please.

Stronius: Most beautiful set ever. ._. Mask is amazing, armor is new and gives a large bulk, Club is two-part! It all gives him a lot of character! <3 I do dislike the Silver Inika body. =/

Ackar: ._. I was bashing him before, but now that we see the colors, I do like him a lot more. Although the build is simple a cookie cutter, the large flame, all the new recolors [Orange and Mata Red! <3] And a great use of the Mata Nui thing. I wish it was in Mata Red though, D: Sheer number of recolors is amazing though. o.o It's like the new Vorox [but the Vorox looks a lot cooler. :P ]

Vastus: Eeew, eeeew, eeeeew. Mask is the ugliest thing ever. Arm armor is neat, but still looks pretty ugly. I like the blade and tubing, but other than that, this set is the worst of the bunch.

Gelu: Cookie cutter build like Ackar, but he fails in the recolor area. Gotta say though, he has my favorite weapons [icy Tahu Nuva blades!] and mask [so awesome.]

Mata Nui: I love Keet, I don't know about you guys, but I really do. I love the new huge Matoro Claws [there's some in Keet too! <3], and all the recolors. So lovely.

My vehicle feelings haven't changed except for two:

Skopio: What a compact Tank! I really like this.

Cendox: More love. Mata Yellow! Treads! Samus Helmet! I adore this set.

So my revised list of priorities:

Stronius

Mata Nui

Cendox

Ackar

Kiina

The others are probably ones I will not get.

[-The Alchemyst-]

Ah, what can be said about the new Bionicle sets?

They are certainly better than the Winter sets, that's for sure.

The Titans are, but I think the winter canister sets far superior to these.

The Titans are, but I think the winter canister sets far superior to these.

Nah, gotta say, sheer recolors and new joint design, and new parts, Summer pulls ahead.

Hey!

Let's all review each set with their winter counterpart!

Skrall--Stronius: Stronius wins here I think.

Strakk -- Gelu: IMO, this is a tough one, Gelu is pretty meh, but I never liked Strakk either. But what I like in each are the masks and Weapons, in which Gelu wins.

Malum -- Ackar: Hands down Ackar. Mata Red + Orange + So many beautiful recolors.

Gresh -- Vastus: Gresh, definitely. Although I do like Vastus's weapon a lot more.

Tarix -- Kiina: Tough one. Tarix has gold [although it's the lame Brutaka gold], but Kiiina has Light Blue. Kiina definitely fits the water motif though. I'll go with Kiina.

Vorox -- Mata Nui: Toughest one of all. Mata Nui has an awesome number of recolors in Keet, plus awesome new weapons. But Vorox has a better part selection of the recolors, I think, but no new weapon. D: This is a draw.

Summer: 4-1-1 [lol]

And the CGI for the movie is so shiiiny. @_@

[-The Alchemyst-]

OH SHI~

(I believe I'm beginning to overuse this meme ><)

Mata Nui looks very winrar even in this Keetorange. It DOES look like gold. A bit.

Vastus is cool. Looks like Cthulhu cultist or whatever. With tentacles, wow.

Ackar is similar to Tahu Mata in my eyes. Simple build, but he looks very good. Sword is must-get.

And Stronius. Oh yeah. Now I understand why I didn't like Skrall))

Alright, if I can stop coughing/hyperventilating long enough, I can give my thoughts on these guys. (I'm sick, and literally jumping out of bed like I just did isn't too good for you xD)

Kiina: Um... well. Not so impressive anymore, sorry. Mask is just bleh for me, but those new joint pieces are WANT. Same with the new armor. Recolors are always win, as with the rest of the line. Sadly, though, these do not bring her much, seeing as the torso just... ew... 6.5/10

Vastus: Hm... interesting. Mask is a little odd, but I like it, for reasons that are hard to explain. The Scythe is complete win; as are the recolors on him. Legs need help, as does the torso, but most of what he has to offer (new shoulder armor) makes up for it. 7.5/10

Stronius: WHOA. That is one BAD*** CLUB. Plus, he has Metru-Red as his side color, which I feel is a lot better than Mata-Red. Little less obnoxious, IMO. Helmet is great (reptilian feel, as some have said) and the body design is pleasing for the most part. I believe he has new body armor, too, so that's something to look forward to. 8/10

Ackar: Again, I lept off my bed on this one - FLAMESWORD DONE RIGHT. YES!!! Forget the fact that he has a recolored Berix mask (which, in all honesty, looks better on him than is does the former), the sword takes the cake. As does the fact that practially everything on his body is recolored! For once, the Mata-Red/Orange looks good to me. I haven't been this pleased with a Fire set since Tahu Mata. Very simple, but he pulls it off well. Ackar has just possibly taken Gresh's mantle. xD 9/10

Gelu: HOLY SHI- ... The heltmet is what sent me over the edge. I'm not sure what it is, but... I LOVE it. LUVLUVLUV LUV it. The blades are nice, too, and for a simply-designed set, he pulls it off great. A better version of Ackar, IMO. The Metus-blades on his shoulders add a nice touch, and I'm kind of happy that they only have half-blades instead of whole ones; it allows more posibility (sp?). He is win all around for me. 10/10

Mata-Nui: Regardless of what you all think, I was privately hoping that he would be Keetorange... and HE IS! YAY! I can actually live with myself now; knowing that Lego has done Mata-Nui right. I'm very happy about the newly colored orange libms; always wanted those for MOCs. Shoulder armor is great, as is the mask.... I luv it. 9.5/10

For the Glatorian Legends, I'm getting them all. Then again, I'm a collecter, so I'd get them all anyways. xD

Vehicles were... are... underwhelming, for the most part. I was REALLY hoping Skopio would be bigger; but for now, it just seems... lacklustre, for lack of a better term. Thornatus is the one that looks the most promising right now, but... as I said, the canisters are where my excitment truly lies. That, and the amazingly awesome DVD cover. It already looks 1000 times better than the last three; and I REALLY hope it turns out that good. =)

* While writing this, i was groveling over my computer * :tongue::tongue::tongue:

Holy mother of my dog , those new Bionicles are freaking amazing, 2009 = my favorite year!

Edited by The crazy one

The driver of Skopio has a mask that is the Spikit mask backwards!

Holy shiznit, you're right. O__o

:awesome:

Now I don't have to get the Spikit.

That is, if I can get Skopio. >_>

I hope that Ackar´s mask is a joke...

I love Vastus!

Just look at his mask! It has a little snake head on it! :thumbup:

Anyone noticed that Cendox and Kaxium drivers have the same mask?

Edited by 80 Dollar

I hope that Ackar´s mask is a joke...

I love Vastus!

Just look at his mask! It has a little snake head on it! :thumbup:

Anyone noticed that Cendox and Kaxium drivers have the same mask?

Ackar's mask is for real. But it makes sense, being as how the Berix mask looks like fire...

I'm not particularly fond of Kiina-Maybe just the armour. Vastus is interesting.... I LOVE his mask.

Stronius is a definite buy. Mata Nui is in second place. Tied with mats is Gelu, then possibly Vastus or Ackar, depending on which parts I want more... Prolly Vastus since he has more neat parts and Mats already has all the recolours I want. But still... mata red...

Kiina has no chance at all unless it ended up as a gift. Or unless It somehow ends up being cool. Which I doubt.

The vehicles are cool-Cendox is well worth it's price. Baruim might be worth it if only for the fact that it has three masks in one(The spikit heads count since they are masks when turned around)

Holy crap!!!! Another mask used backwards!!!! In the Kaxium set, thos helmets are the mask from Cendox's rider only backwards!!!!!

Interesting...

Though I don't think they're quite as great, overall, as the Winter sets, they look pretty nice. Let's see:

Mata Nui: It's a shame that there's no gold, but I'm still liking the look of him. Can anyone tell what color his eyes are?

Ackar: Still not a huge fan of him, but his color scheme is very welcome. I've yet to decide whether I like his Berix-helmet, and I wish the sword-thing wasn't silver. Good flame-piece, though.

Kiina: I like the prominence of the light blue and the new armor's pretty cool (Looks like it would do well on Gorast). The mask looks like a cross between Tuma and Vezon, but I'm not sure yet whether I like it or not. The new joints are awesome, of course, but I wish they didn't have grey Hordika necks showing like that.

Vastus: Vastus is very odd and I'm not sure about anything at all regarding him. His mask an interesting design and he has an interesting vine-snake aesthetic. Very exotic-looking. And that's all I know so far.

Gelu: Meh, mostly. He has silver where white would look better, but is that a dark blue head? 'Cause that'd be cool. I like his Hermes-wings, too.

Stronius: Best head out of all these. Very, very cool. My main worry about him was that he wouldn't look very Skrall-like, but he does. A very beefed up Skrall, but a Skrall. Of course, you guys know about my thoughts on clubs, so you know how I feel about them here. (Awesome.) Very rocky texture all over him, and a new torso as well.

Interesting...

Though I don't think they're quite as great, overall, as the Winter sets, they look pretty nice. Let's see:

Mata Nui: It's a shame that there's no gold, but I'm still liking the look of him. Can anyone tell what color his eyes are?

Ackar: Still not a huge fan of him, but his color scheme is very welcome. I've yet to decide whether I like his Berix-helmet, and I wish the sword-thing wasn't silver. Good flame-piece, though.

Kiina: I like the prominence of the light blue and the new armor's pretty cool (Looks like it would do well on Gorast). The mask looks like a cross between Tuma and Vezon, but I'm not sure yet whether I like it or not. The new joints are awesome, of course, but I wish they didn't have grey Hordika necks showing like that.

Vastus: Vastus is very odd and I'm not sure about anything at all regarding him. His mask an interesting design and he has an interesting vine-snake aesthetic. Very exotic-looking. And that's all I know so far.

Gelu: Meh, mostly. He has silver where white would look better, but is that a dark blue head? 'Cause that'd be cool. I like his Hermes-wings, too.

Stronius: Best head out of all these. Very, very cool. My main worry about him was that he wouldn't look very Skrall-like, but he does. A very beefed up Skrall, but a Skrall. Of course, you guys know about my thoughts on clubs, so you know how I feel about them here. (Awesome.) Very rocky texture all over him, and a new torso as well.

Mata Nui has blue eyes.

Kickass. Dark or light?

And in addition to having a severely awesome movie cover, I love the image of the desert here.

I think they are dark....

Light blue, actually. Like Kopaka Mata/Nuva.

Or like Strakk/Metus lol... I doubt they're making more new heads. And I can't believe they used a Berix mask for Ackar. This is a first, right?

And they used a lot of backwards masks, with Skopio and Spikit, Cendox and the Blue Bike thing lol.

For the most part, they turned epic win into epic ****.

EDIT: I think Baranus and Thornatus share heads too. WTF is going on!!!11! lololol Honestly its hard to tell because there are NO good/decent shots of Thornatus' driver. Though they seem similar from what I can tell.

Edited by Satellite Jack

Holy crap!!!! Another mask used backwards!!!! In the Kaxium set, thos helmets are the mask from Cendox's rider only backwards!!!!!

Excitement… fading… D:

Excitement… fading… D:

Why??? Do you realize that this is incredibly inventive? It mans two-in one for whatever colour you get! This is a great idea!

Why??? Do you realize that this is incredibly inventive? It mans two-in one for whatever colour you get! This is a great idea!

[sarcasm] Yepp, much better than a completely new mold... [/sarcasm]

Anyway...Why lego hates Black hands so much and ruins color schemes with gray hands? Ackar, Baranus Rider, Thornatus Rider...

Okay, I guess I better finally comment on the summer wave, now that we have good pictures. :tongue:

Kiina: Honestly, I like him/her a lot. The design is original and fairly decent, the color scheme is great, and there are some wonderful new molds and recolors – especially the light blue limb and the new socket joint. :thumbup:

Gelu: He/she’s not particularly interesting to me, but I do love the mask and weapon. Other than that and the extra Metus snowflakes however, she’s really kinda boring. :sceptic:

Vastus: Some people may be hating on him, but I personally love Vastus. :sweet: Yes, the body design isn’t that great, but everything else is wonderful. While Gresh seemed to go with a leaf-like design, this guy seems more made to look like vines – and that has lead to some awesome side armor parts and a wicked mask. And FINALLY, after so many years of waiting, we actually get a scythe in Bionicle! I bet it will look good with a Nidhiki MOC. :classic:

Ackar: Sweet cousin of Tahu Nuva – this set ROCKS! :oh: An amazing fire sword, wonderful mask, some great recolors, and the coolest color scheme for a fire set EVER make this the best set of the entire summer line. In fact, I may even have to get him, despite swearing off buying any Bionicle sets this year other than Tuma and Mata Nui. He’s that cool. :sweet:

Stronius: SICK. :cry_happy: Amazing club, amazing mask, a possibly new body mold, black hewkii spike armor, new shoulder armor, and an awesome design. Honestly, I liked the Skrall, but this just blows that set away. Even the color scheme is better – black and metro red looks awesome. I may have to get him too. :wacko:

Mata Nui: Well, he’s yellow, sadly – but fortunately Mata Nui wears it well. Plus, he has a great design and TONS of recolors. Those armor pieces and yellow limbs are going to be awesome MOCing parts. So, while not perfect, this set manages to do justice to Mata Nui. I just wish he was gold… :cry_sad:

Cendox V1: This looks far better than Vultrax – the design is bulkier and more complex. Plus, the mask of the rider is awesome, and I like the idea of a “sandmobile.”

Kaxium V3: Okay, so despite the fact that a motorbike just seems a bit out of place in Bionicle, this set actually looks good. A great design, cool helmets, more silver Takanuva armor, silver pohatu propeller shafts, and dark blue heads make this a great set, if not spectacular. :classic:

Thornatus V9: Easily the best vehicle of them all. It’s tan, it’s a cool design, and it doesn’t seem nearly as technologically advanced as the others. Like Ikki has said, it looks like something that the Glatorian assembled out of scrap and spare parts, which fits perfectly in the new setting. Only one problem – what the HECK are those Midak Skyblasters doing on the back? :wacko:

Skopio XV-1: Ugh, I’m not liking this one much. :sadnew: It’s not nearly as huge or impressive as it seemed originally, and it’s reusing the panels from the Axalara T9. Also, again with the out-of-place Midaks. Oh well, at least the figure has new orange limes and a different color of the Spikit mask.

Baranus V7: Terrible. :sick: Looks really thrown together, especially the awful Spikit. Where’s my awesome two-headed rahi titan? All we’ve got here is a two headed Spinax with a Gresh blade on its back. This set is probably the worst of the entire 2009 line.

Honestly, I feel that 2009 may be the best year of Bionicle ever. The sets are simply amazing this year, the colors, masks and weapons are awesome, and the storyline and movie are shaping up to be wonderful. I'm really hoping that TLC can pull this off. :classic:

Edited by Grevious

Anyway...Why lego hates Black hands so much and ruins color schemes with gray hands? Ackar, Baranus Rider, Thornatus Rider...

I was thinking the same thing. They definitely could have given Ackar Skrall's Mata red hands

EDIT:

Gelu: He/she’s not particularly interesting to me, but I do love the mask and weapon. Other than that and the extra Metus snowflakes however, she’s really kinda boring

LOL. Confirmed to be a guy

EDIT 2:

Kaxium V3: Okay, so despite the fact that a motorbike just seems a bit out of place in Bionicle, this set actually looks good. A great design, cool helmets, more silver Takanuva armor, silver pohatu propeller shafts, and dark blue heads make this a great set, if not spectacular

They're light blue heads, but they look dark because of the black body.

Edited by Satellite Jack

New mold would be nice, but since we will never get mask packs again, and we have just been given a plethora of new parts in canister sets alone, I think it's a pretty clever thing to do. I like the idea that I only have to buy one set and be able to have two masks for MOCs. In the case of Kaxium, though... Perhaps they should've had two different reversables, but whatever.

WOW!!! ALL OF THOSE PICS AND THE MOVIE!!!!! *FAINTS* *SAVES PICS TO COMPUTER*

BUT I WANTED GOLD.....NOT YELLOW!!!! (GROWL)

This is awesome, epic, and amazing!!!! But should anyone paint the Ignika Gold or leave it yellow???

~Toa Mata Nui~