VBBN

Bionicle 2009 Images and Discussion

Greg hasn't said anything on the subject other than it's possible, and considering they ARE completely organic when the come into being... yeah. Kinda hard to get out of that one. So having female sets FINALLY works in the storyline. And the Matoran have genders because they were programmed by the GBs to. Pretty simple. :P

Well, I think that Ackar looks eh. His leg guards are awesome, so I'll have to get him. Because even though MN has 'em, I'm not tearing him apart. Probably. The one I'm most dreading is actually Stronius, simply because s/he looks WAY to short and bulky for my tastes. I loved Malum and Carapar and Pohatu and Kongu (after lengthening his arms a little, those little stubs were INSANE on shoulders that wide), but Stronius is really pushing it. And clubs, contrary to popular belief, =/= win. Sorry. :P

People get too hung up on looking at released sets as "the characters".

I mean, given a bigger budget and some REALLY kickass designers, these guys would look totally different.

You need to look at these sets as "starters", as they're pretty much just what one is getting after the designers had their ideas cut down by the penny-pinching department, safety laws, bosses, touchy-feely focus groups.

Ever get, say, a Star Wars or Transformers guy only to go, "DAMN did they cheap out on the paintjob / action feature / likeness" etc etc...?

That's why Lego has taken over my toy buying budget. You can change them. Some of the sets in the past have been SO bare-bones shitty that you practically NEEDED to buy more sets to make them look halfway decent.

So if any of these guys have cool parts or fall under "close, but no cigar"... then buy a few more sets to juice them up.

And really, buy some System sets to do it with. You just get a few System sets in a similar color to the Bionicle set... then next thing you know, you've got an armored / beefed up Bionicle dude along with a growing pile of System parts to do something cool with later.

Granted, the bastards do run around 13 bucks nowadays and it'd be NICE if they were perfect... but still, buying multiples of a set is the way to go.

Well actually... 2 identical Bionicle sets don't cut it anymore to modify them into something cool. It USED to, when there were fine, non-specific parts... but now, personally, System, System, System.

Don't wait for summer to have ankle bellbottoms on your dudes... grab a couple 1x2 bricks, some curved slopes, a few 2x2 tiles... and have them right now.

(Man... where did all THAT come from?) :hmpf:

It's actually confirmed that people have sex on Bara Magna?

Not directly, but they can't get around it.

I don't see it as mattering though. I mean, we read stories about and get action figures of people, aliens, fantasy races, animals, etc., and they all have to do... certain things. I don't see as it to get anything to get hung up over.

~Bunda

ackar looks like a standard inika build with leg armor, I dont like him any better than stronius =/

but Gelu and Kiina are awesome!

Gelu's helmet reminds me of a mandalorian helmet

Edited by Phantoka_Chirox

Not directly, but they can't get around it.

I don't see it as mattering though. I mean, we read stories about and get action figures of people, aliens, fantasy races, animals, etc., and they all have to do... certain things. I don't see as it to get anything to get hung up over.

~Bunda

True. Just because the Bara Magnians probably can and do it, doesn't mean it's going to be or needs to be covered in story. It's simple not relevant to burst into a story about the Gukkos and the Lightning Bugs halfway through a tale about gladiators and deserts.

True. Just because the Bara Magnians probably can and do it, doesn't mean it's going to be or needs to be covered in story. It's simple not relevant to burst into a story about the Gukkos and the Lightning Bugs halfway through a tale about gladiators and deserts.

My point was things that don't reproduce don't have genders. If these ACTUALLY reproduce then my point is moot. I'm just surprised that LEGO finally accepted that.

IS it just me or does lego hate mata green for Bionicle? We have seen mata red, tan, yellow, and blue already, but not a hint of mata green. :thumbdown:

Oh, and I just realized the life counter piece was in graphite gray in the Technic Excavator last year.

IS it just me or does lego hate mata green for Bionicle? We have seen mata red, tan, yellow, and blue already, but not a hint of mata green. :thumbdown:

Dark green and lime just look cooler on BIONICLE, and Green doesn't go with as many colours as Dark Green and Lime do. Also, we haven't seen any Brown either (although it would be a different brown to Pohatu anyway, because that brown is discontinued).

Oh, and I just realized the life counter piece was in graphite gray in the Technic Excavator last year.

Yes, that's how we identified the piece before it was released in the Glat-sets. :wink:

Lots of brown on Avak, and a bit on Vorox. At least Lego is teasing us with it.

But I want green. ;_;

They use it all the time in System...

~Bunda

Malum_SET_LIKE_by_armandoestebanquito.jpg

if you ask why i posted that...i was bored-

i Wonder how could look the Glatorian and Agori withot Armor and only with ropes in the Movie...

They probably won't show Agori and Glatorian without their armour, because they're trying to promote the sets, so they'd want maximum screen-time of the characters looking like the sets you can buy.

i Wonder how could look the Glatorian and Agori withot Armor and only with ropes in the Movie...

Your art continues to impress me, Antrozek. :thumbup:

BTW, I wonder if Greg really opened a can of worms by stating that the Glatorian and Agori could have romantic relationships. After all, it it consistently leads to long, drawn out dicussions and crude artwork about the "other things" associated with that factor, I almost wonder if it wasn't the greatest idea... :look:

I'm just thrilled that we can have ancestors, families, chibi-Glatorian babies, and characters driven by love rather than by duty or destiny. Makes for a much more diverse story. ^_^

On Bara Magna, Jala WOULD be the Son of Lhii. =D

-Ikk

BTW, I wonder if Greg really opened a can of worms by stating that the Glatorian and Agori could have romantic relationships. After all, it it consistently leads to long, drawn out dicussions and crude artwork about the "other things" associated with that factor, I almost wonder if it wasn't the greatest idea... :look:

Oh, come on. What else will keep us talking through the dull news days?

On an unrelated note, should I stick a 3-length rod or a Tahu sword in Malum's crotch for an accurate representation?

Man, do you know how cool you are with all this art? I just saw your Karzahni and I'm impressed, to say at least.

Well, all these discussions, I guess, already have been present in the last years. Rule 34 and all. If people want "other things", they'll do it, even if it's not possible [for the universe they want to do it in]. At least artwork. It's matter of personal taste.

On an unrelated note, should I stick a 3-length rod or a Tahu sword in Malum's crotch for an accurate representation?

o_O

Oh, well. Rule 34. You can do everything you want)

Edited by Tyranide

There isn't too much to discuss. "Ommygosh Agori can have babies!" So what? So can we.

Those are reaaally nice Antrozek. I like.

And I think the whole biological reproduction is a necessary to the idea of the species, but not to the character or story, since its for kids.

Its like Hansel and Gretel. We know they are human, and so they biologically reproduce, but reproduction and babies aren't important to the story, so its just an understood truth, like this will be. Its known, but not mentioned. This is an action story for young boys (typically). That's their target age group, so they don't wanna make it a gooey love story. But this defines the characters as more human and into genders, which is a plus for the story and how it can be told.

T-Nui

Edit: I just thought, watch Greg say that the biological implants prevent/hinder reproduction, and only those that are still purely organic can reproduce. Just to keep the story and its characters we see squeaky clean.

Edited by Takanuva-nui

I just thought, watch Greg say that the biological implants prevent/hinder reproduction, and only those that are still purely organic can reproduce. Just to keep the story and its characters we see squeaky clean.

IMO, I hope Greg tries to avoid the whole implant thing, because it icky and kinda disturbing to have your eye gauged out in favour of an infra-red sensor. They should have infra-red goggles or contacts instead, because body modification for the sake of a slight advantage in the arena puts the focus of life on fighting and winning instead of what life should be about.

Edited by 3D Brickthing

because body modification for the sake of a slight advantage in the arena puts the focus of life on fighting and winning instead of what life should be about.

...Like reproduction?Its important for life. :tongue:

Its a story about Gladiators though. I get what you're saying, but its appealing to those age groups, so they follow it.

T-Nui

...Like reproduction?Its important for life. :tongue:

Its a story about Gladiators though. I get what you're saying, but its appealing to those age groups, so they follow it.

T-Nui

I meant more like they have the same idea of life as we do, family and personal identities and such.

I'm fine with it being a Gladiator story, but they seem to be living to fight, instead of fighting to live.

Now that would be disturbing....children agori... :sick: :sick: :sick::sick: :sick: :sick: ....children Glatorian.... :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: X infinity

Does anyone have any scans of the U.S Lego Magazine??? Mine's has not come yet...and I don't know why...I posted that postcard back in November (to renew) and it hasn't come yet...it's not like I live in Alaska...at least could some one post any scans of Bionicle Ads in the Jan-Feb 09 Magazine....Don't worry about the comic part.....

Toa Mata Nui

Now that would be disturbing....children agori... :sick: :sick: :sick::sick: :sick: :sick: ....children Glatorian.... :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: X infinity

Does anyone have any scans of the U.S Lego Magazine??? Mine's has not come yet...and I don't know why...I posted that postcard back in November (to renew) and it hasn't come yet...it's not like I live in Alaska...at least could some one post any scans of Bionicle Ads in the Jan-Feb 09 Magazine....Don't worry about the comic part.....

Toa Mata Nui

What, it's not like you aren't/weren't a child. >_>

Anyway, I like the idea.

I always saw the Matoran as little children, especially the Mctoran.

Running around nearby the Toa, panicking, all small and stuff.

[-The Alchemyst-]

Well we had not encounter any "children matoran" though they had similar qualities as a human....but I remember back when Ta-Koro was active that the Matoran there were suppose to learn how to defend themselves a bit...not to mention the residents of Voya Nui (after the cataclysm, pre-return to S.C) were very independent....but if the term "children, baby, etc." was used I would use it in terms of age only, not on how we look as humans....or what a person is expected to look, just simply age.....but whatever...that's just me.....

Here's proof on how Matoran are compared to humans (for reference sake): Matoran and Humans

Hopefully they'll make a comparison with the Agori soon.....or something....

Toa Mata Nui

I hope that we can get children Agori and elder Agori in story, now that Glatorian are a clear-cut different species to Agori, instead of the Adult-Toa, Kid-Matoran and Grandpa-Turaga.

I also hope that we get to see some pacifist Glatorian, or Glatorian that have other roles aside from fighting. Glatorian families would be slightly creepy though, I'm fine with them being a lonesome wandering species.

Glatorian families would be slightly creepy though, I'm fine with them being a lonesome wandering species.

Agreed. o_o

~Bunda