BrickCommander9

[ENTRY] Forbidden Island II

Ahoy, Mateys!

20230730_185645

20230730_185541

20230730_185606

PhotoRoom-20230802_220325

The Jolly Roger flies proudly on Forbidden Island, the secret oupost for Redbeard and his band of buccaneers.

34 years after first settling the Island, it has undergone a rennovation.

This recreation of the classic 1989 set is built using roughly 1,500 pieces on a single 48x48 baseplate. I tried to capture as much of the sillouhette and features of the original as possible. The set cones with 6 minifigs (4 pirates and 2 bluecoats) and a monkey (Spinoza!). When this contest was announced, this set is the first set I thought of. I know others have made far nicer versions, but I wanted to share anyways.

Forbidden Island

In the planning stages I knew I wanted to capture the simple elegance of the original while taking advantage of modern parts and Lego's far expanded color pallete.

My first major decision was what to do about tue water. My first thought was to simply use medium Azure plates, like in Barracuda Bay and Eldorado. Ultimately, I went with tiled water, which, in my opinion, simply lokks much nicer. I also decided to include the imperial sailboat from the later Rock Island Refuge to add some color and playability.

PhotoRoom-20230729_104403

The final thing I wanted to acheive was taking the older set's dark feeling to something brighter and more tropical- more fitting to the setting.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions on how to improve. I still plan to make some minor changes before the final submission and I would love everyone's input.

Edited by BrickCommander9
Added new and updated pictures

A solid foundation-with a few issues during construction

Theme

The set has a lot of space for play, with a lot of poseable spots for extra play, and most of it is easily accessed by kids, I will however note the lack of play features other than the cannon, I'd try to add something extra for kids to have fun with and this would be perfect (ex : a collapsing mast or bridge, a treasure chest to fight over,etc...)

Build

The basic idea is done well ; the ladders and staircase are well integrated, and the various buildings are sufficiently large... except for the tower with a 2 stud gap, which makes posing figs hard, I'd either build it on the edge of the plate (using textured wood pieces), or I'd make the tower a 6x6. I enjoy the randomness of the ground green and the well used palms (as well as the barrier on the staircase-safety first!), but change a few of the 1x2 masonry bricks with black 1x2s, it'd be more interesting to look at. Finally, and this is my big issue-this doesn't look like a 1500 pcs set. The water uses way too many parts-which could be used on a realistic island shape, extra structures and details, etc...

Edited by Horation

I like the way You did that observation deck on top of the prison and those stairs are impressive, tho maybe they could be moved from the water a bit? And while all that water is impressive i think You were maybe too focused on it, as the island itself doesnt't follow the same detalic approach. Sand and grass looks kinda rushed, everything above it shows more skill and dedication in my oppinion, especially that sail. Nice addition to the set! Just like the new Soldier's boat. On the other hand that tower seemed to be too tall for me at first sight, when compared to the size of the island... but the more i look at i'd say it actualy fine.

I'd remove one of those pirate captains tho, having two of them stuggling for power on such a small piece of land might not end well ;) And that wall next to the cannon, i think it unnecessary in there. It doesn't fit well with the rest, like if it was taken from a different neighbourhood and thrown there, doesn't seem to be attacked to the surface too.

And since Your pirates were able to obtain a gun they could surely get more other weapons ;) I see very few of them, when it would be nice to have few muskets and/or pistols as well for both sides.  

1 hour ago, Horation said:

A solid foundation-with a few issues during construction

Theme

The set has a lot of space for play, with a lot of poseable spots for extra play, and most of it is easily accessed by kids, I will however note the lack of play features other than the cannon, I'd try to add something extra for kids to have fun with and this would be perfect (ex : a collapsing mast or bridge, a treasure chest to fight over*,etc...)

Build

The basic idea is done well ; the ladders and staircase are well integrated, and the various buildings are sufficiently large... except for the tower with a 2 stud gap, which makes posing figs hard, I'd either build it on the edge of the plate (using textured wood pieces), or I'd make the tower a 6x6. I enjoy the randomness of the ground green and the well used palms (as well as the barrier on the staircase-safety first!), but change a few of the 1x2 masonry bricks with black 1x2s, it'd be more interesting to look at. Finally, and this is my big issue-this doesn't look like a 1500 pcs set. The water uses way too many parts-which could be used on a realistic island shape, extra structures and details, etc...

Thabk you so much for the detailed feedback! I am definately continuing to improve the model before the deadline!

I will say it may he less than 1500 pieces, the tiles for the water are about 500, and I dont know the rest. It is a big investment in parts, but I am simply in love with that style of water.

There will be a treasure chest and other playability added soon!

Thanks so much!

1 hour ago, Mazin said:

I like the way You did that observation deck on top of the prison and those stairs are impressive, tho maybe they could be moved from the water a bit? And while all that water is impressive i think You were maybe too focused on it, as the island itself doesnt't follow the same detalic approach. Sand and grass looks kinda rushed, everything above it shows more skill and dedication in my oppinion, especially that sail. Nice addition to the set! Just like the new Soldier's boat. On the other hand that tower seemed to be too tall for me at first sight, when compared to the size of the island... but the more i look at i'd say it actualy fine.

I'd remove one of those pirate captains tho, having two of them stuggling for power on such a small piece of land might not end well ;) And that wall next to the cannon, i think it unnecessary in there. It doesn't fit well with the rest, like if it was taken from a different neighbourhood and thrown there, doesn't seem to be attacked to the surface too.

And since Your pirates were able to obtain a gun they could surely get more other weapons ;) I see very few of them, when it would be nice to have few muskets and/or pistols as well for both sides.  

What greet feedback. The grass and sand will definately get more detail and life soon. I should remove the 2nd captain. I thought of him as a first mate, but i think it may he too much.

My next improvement is lansdcaping and wildlife so stay tuned!

1 hour ago, BrickCommander9 said:

Thabk you so much for the detailed feedback! I am definately continuing to improve the model before the deadline!

I will say it may he less than 1500 pieces, the tiles for the water are about 500, and I dont know the rest. It is a big investment in parts, but I am simply in love with that style of water.

There will be a treasure chest and other playability added soon!

Thanks so much!

What greet feedback. The grass and sand will definately get more detail and life soon. I should remove the 2nd captain. I thought of him as a first mate, but i think it may he too much.

My next improvement is lansdcaping and wildlife so stay tuned!

Awesome, can't wait to see Your updates :)

6 hours ago, BrickCommander9 said:

tiled water, which, in my opinion, simply lokks much nicer

It does -- it's the best part of this build, simply fantastic!    The multiple shades of blue underneath really convey depth well, and it's a joy to look at.

As others noted, I'd like to see the rest of the build meet the bar set by the water design.  One simple technique I've seen is the use of a layer of dark tan plates under the light tan: this represents wet sand quite well, while adding some visual depth.

The use of the palm leaves to create a "rounded" look over the cannon is masterful.  I'd like to see a similar level of detail in the wall next to the cannon, which is simplistic and square.  Actually, a lot of the man-made structures are quite simple -- make them a bit worn down or broken, and they'd be much more visually interesting.

I would use a rope to tie up the sail, and perhaps brick-build it, since it's furled.

This is certainly an excellent start, and I do look forward to seeing more!

Looks great overall and is a nice refresh from the old set, here are some of my suggestions, first the palm leaves over the cannon might want to be moved to access the gun. Second, the wall near the cannon needs more of a chipped and broken look or at least throw in another color. Onto the bridge, I think this should go since there's nowhere to place the mini figures. Lastly, I want to see more, add a few more photos of the side/back, and add some of a back story to the build. Anyway, Happy building :)

23 hours ago, iragm said:

It does -- it's the best part of this build, simply fantastic!    The multiple shades of blue underneath really convey depth well, and it's a joy to look at.

As others noted, I'd like to see the rest of the build meet the bar set by the water design.  One simple technique I've seen is the use of a layer of dark tan plates under the light tan: this represents wet sand quite well, while adding some visual depth.

The use of the palm leaves to create a "rounded" look over the cannon is masterful.  I'd like to see a similar level of detail in the wall next to the cannon, which is simplistic and square.  Actually, a lot of the man-made structures are quite simple -- make them a bit worn down or broken, and they'd be much more visually interesting.

I would use a rope to tie up the sail, and perhaps brick-build it, since it's furled.

This is certainly an excellent start, and I do look forward to seeing more!

Thabks so much for the feedbaxk!

I actually planned to have the bottom layer he dark tan, but got frustrated when I couldn't find the parts I wanted. I do plan on adding more detail to the beach however and hopefully ot will aceieve a nice effect. 

I agree about the sail, I will change it out with a rope and maybe mess around brick building them. And you are absolutely right about the structures... I will try to wear them down a bit.

This update looks much better, with the texture looking a lot nicer, the figure selection being more effective and the added play features, and I understand your decision on the water (it would be hypocritical for me to complain too much about it, since I love the old baseplates with sand and water printed on them, and this is a much improved version of those).

I will however ask you, @BrickCommander9, if possible,to press down some of the plates that make up the sand ; it is obvious that some of them could be connected more solidly, since they currently create ugly and pointless mini gaps in the build. And please consider just a few slope and the likes to improve the island's shpae.

Edited by Horation
improved quality of comment

I can't quite see the hammock too well but it looks like he is about to fall out, is he even attached to it? My only other suggestion is a place to hide the treasure chest (maybe in a rock formation). Anyway, Happy building :)

Nice updates! I'd say Your version looks more playable and has more life than the original one by Lego! Even tho i have a great sentiment for this classic set, i always felt it was kinda depressing, dark, unfinished, like the other pirate island, both being visually inviting, but somewhat asking for upgrades. That was a problem with many classic sets - great fronts, but undeveloped backs ;) Then again, maybe that was done byc TLC on purpose, to offer us sets simple to construct, but that could be upgraded by ourselves?

Anyway, Your island looks definitely upgraded, a colorful fun place to to be as a pirate;)   

On 7/31/2023 at 6:55 PM, Mazin said:

Nice updates! I'd say Your version looks more playable and has more life than the original one by Lego! Even tho i have a great sentiment for this classic set, i always felt it was kinda depressing, dark, unfinished, like the other pirate island, both being visually inviting, but somewhat asking for upgrades. That was a problem with many classic sets - great fronts, but undeveloped backs ;) Then again, maybe that was done byc TLC on purpose, to offer us sets simple to construct, but that could be upgraded by ourselves?

Anyway, Your island looks definitely upgraded, a colorful fun place to to be as a pirate;)   

Thanks so much!!! The original was one of my earliest lego seta and I loved it, BUT it is indeed kind of dreary. The fact that they used black for wood instead of brown tones (as well as having very little green other than the palm leaves) didn't give a real tropical feel. Thats the maij thing I tried to improve!

Tonight after the kids go to sleep, I will take more photos for tuis and my other 2 entries and post signifigant updatea so stay tuned!

On 8/3/2023 at 4:55 PM, Captain Stef said:

I absolutely love this one, I think I know to who my vote goes

ThNk you so much!!!! It means a lot. You should check out my other entry for sabre island too :-)

I plan to remake the whole 89-91 pirates line in this style into a huge layout for our next local convention!!

I love the water. It looks super. It's generally too part intensive for most people to do but it looks great! The extra height on the tower is cool so more pirates can be on the lookout at the same time.

I'm not sure I see the hammock. The brick built approach is a bit lacking. Maybe you could use a net piece instead and fold it creatively to make the net?

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=71155&name=Net, String 10 x 10 Square&category=[String & Net]#T=C