MrLind

[Freebuild] Fish market at Faeril

It’s morning and the first beams of light have just come up over the horizon. Gyrdher, who arrived to Faeril the previous evening just before the city gates closed, has not yet awakened. He has left his parents and his home to seek his luck in Avalonia. Even though Gyrdher is a simple farmer boy without any experience, he feels strong and eager to explore the world. He has intended to make his living as a carpenter. A craft he has learned on the farm back home, where everything from the roof to the chairs needed to be repaired or built from scratch.

While Gyrdher is still sleeping at the home of the gatekeeper, the city begins to come to life. The first place where the city is waking up is the fish market near the harbour.

53041675008_d2ee2f52a4_z.jpg

During the night and morning the fishermen have returned home from the sea with their catch. Some fishermen have fished along the coast where they have caught salmon and crabs, while others have dared to sail out to the open sea for fishing. If they are lucky and no storms has caught them, the catches may be much bigger.

In the Faeril safe harbour, fishermen can unload what the sea has given them and go to the fish market to sell the catch to the highest bidder.

53040603117_4b3080b1bc_z.jpg

53041197521_6a114caf82_z.jpg

53041377899_b184f1e4dc_z.jpg

Faeril is a coastal city where fish is one of the major foods for the city. The abundance that the sea provides allows the merchants to export fish to other guilds. To preserve the fish for the long journeys, the fish is salted and placed in wooden bins.

In the house next to the market, one of the merchants has his warehouse. In the basement, fish and shellfish are cleaned and packed before transport to the other guilds. While waiting for the next vessel to arrive, the packaged fish in its wooden bins are stored upstairs.

53040603452_d086923c5a_z.jpg

53041580045_26417ee132_z.jpg

53041378089_80c3cd1319_z.jpg

Edited by MrLind
Edit the flickr links

Wonderful build! Love the different market stalls and the house. Great idea with the floors sliding out!

This is some really nice work.  I love all the photographs and the exploded view of the interior.  The closeup pics of the minis are really fantastic, and the eye level of them really draws the viewer in. The lighting is good, and the backgrounds are nice.  Some of the overall shots may benefit from cropping of excess background to allow for a larger view of the build, and the weird links that flickr inserts could be trimmed for line continuity in the post, but otherwise it is good.

As for the build, the color choices are superb. They work well together, and you have some great color blocking between levels, yet tie them together with highlights under the windows. The grey corner stones are a nice touch.  I like the off grid market stalls that make the scene look more natural, and you chose some nice colors for the awnings.  I haven't seen that roof pattern before, but I think it's a nice combination of a simple pattern and suggestion of roof tiling.  The slide out interior is genius!  I may have to use that on one of my builds in the future!  I love the headless shark being butchered by the pier, a very realistic addition!  I also like the mixture of tiles and open studs on the walkway. They work together like different size stones.  Great job!  Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing more of Faeril and Gyrdher's story!

On 7/26/2023 at 11:20 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

Wonderful build! Love the different market stalls and the house. Great idea with the floors sliding out!

Thank you Yperio_Bricks.

On 7/29/2023 at 5:12 AM, Grover said:

This is some really nice work. ...

Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing more of Faeril and Gyrdher's story!

Thanks Grover for your great review and feedback how to improve the LEGO building and photo process.

In this build I experiment how to improve the playability by making the interior to be slide out. I think it work out rather well and increase the playability.

The adventure for Gyrdher goes on.

Nice stuff Mattias! Love the playability-feature with the slide-out. A cohesive build, with nice detailing as well. Great to get more Faeril-builds, keep em coming! 

On 1/31/2024 at 2:37 AM, jtooker said:

Interesting slide out design for the interior! Well done.

Thanks jtooker. I was trying out this slide design to make the MOC more playable.