Sign in to follow this  
Yperio_Bricks

[ESL - FB] The 2nd Maldria Expedition

The 2nd Maldria Expedition: Part I

The first week in the Punto Sur hinterland was uneventful and the expedition party grinded its way through the dense Maldrian jungle. They planned to move eastwards between the central highlands and the coast, staying away from the highest mountains. Still, the first losses were to be mourned - Cynthia was bitten by a mule when they set up a camp one day and Hermano lost his cigars while forming the vanguard with Cynthia.

img_0203s6pfh3.jpg

After two exhausting weeks in the jungle of Maldria, the expedition group reached a clearing in the forest where an imposing stone monument was located. It was a large gate... leading nowhere. The gate was overgrown with moss and plants and a palm tree grew out of the roof. Since the expedition left Punto Sur, they have not met a soul and there have been no traces of human life around the monument. The purpose of the gate remained unknown. Did its builders still live nearby? Or was the gate a centuries-old stone testament to a lost civilization that ruled Maldria in the past? These questions and many more remained unanswered. For now...

And so the camp for the night was set up. In the next days the expedition would move further to the southeast.

karte1i6enp.jpg

img_0123brsf8i.jpg

I was always fascinated by the ornaments from the city wall from the Occupation of Batuu moc that was build as a collab by some of the crew of the Dark Times RPG, a Lego Star Wars RPG. So i tried to emulate the technique as the central part of the ornaments of the monumental gate. Though i could not exactly find out how they did it and they had much more variation i was able to build a small portion that resembles their ingenius ornaments.

Shout-out to Brickz Lab and the Dark Times Crew :thumbup: Check out their content!

img_0128co3enw.jpg

img_0131c0icju.jpg

img_0128dnqeyn.jpg

Edited by Yperio_Bricks

The 2nd Maldria Expedition: Part II

karte24reth.jpg

Another week passed without any noteworthy events. Was it a week? It is easy to loose the sense of time in these endless green hell. Although the group watched each other steadily and they found some small statues and stelae in the jungle, their origin remained unknown and not one human soul was encountered on the arduous path through the jungle. The expedition made only slow progress in the dense vegetation.

img_0183s11i3v.jpg

img_0194s7fi5r.jpg

A few days later they encountered the skeleton of an unfortunate gold hunter or fallen conquistador. It was impossible to tell how long he has been in this position: Still in his armor, he leaned against a palm tree and guarded a heavy wooden chest that was standing nearby in the shade. Searching the chest Hermano found some potato tubers, some grains of maize, worthless trinkets, and a leather-wrapped briefcase containing a handwritten letter. The two experienced accountants from the expedition party immediately set to work on the translation:

Dear friend,

i can't go any further. My strength is at the end. Most of my men were swallowed up by the jungle - we never saw them again. The [illegible] followed us and [illegible]. There was no mercy. I still can hear their war cries. The trees whistle them. We narrowly escaped and fled south.

Brother Afonso will try to escape further to the east. The rumors about a friendly tribe in this direction won't let go of him and gave him the hope to continue.
Cities of gold are said to still lie in the jungle. But where?

I wish Afonso all the best. I will stay behind. I can't [illegible] ...

The Rest of the letter crumbled to dust and the party continued on their path through the Maldrian jungle.

Edited by Yperio_Bricks

Very nice! I love the plants and tree growing from the roof. Good technique all around on the build. :thumbup:

And good job with the story as well. It's a shame Hermano lost his cigars! :pir_laugh2:

2 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

reserved

FYI, if you plan on making this a multi-part adventure, the typical way is to make each part a new thread, but include a link to the previous posts at the start of the new thread. You can also make reference to "part 2" or "chapter 3" or whatever in the subsequent thread titles.

3 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Cynthia was bitten by a mule and Hermano lost his cigars.

:pir_laugh2:  I am very excited to read a follow-up story about an expedition. Informative is the map where I can see where the expedition is at the moment. A very beautifully built and mysterious monument. I like how it's overgrown with plants.

A photo with the names of the people taking part in the expedition would be nice. Readers want to know who was bitten by a mule and who lost his cigars. I think it's the people that are at the Punto Sur Waterfront in one of the photos.

14 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

FYI, if you plan on making this a multi-part adventure, the typical way is to make each part a new thread, but include a link to the previous posts at the start of the new thread. You can also make reference to "part 2" or "chapter 3" or whatever in the subsequent thread titles.

The idea of telling everything in one thread is only good in theory. The advantage of a new thread is that people notice that the expedition is continuing. If everything is in one thread it might not be noticed because the thread is pushed to the back.

30 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

Very nice! I love the plants and tree growing from the roof. Good technique all around on the build. :thumbup:

And good job with the story as well. It's a shame Hermano lost his cigars! :pir_laugh2:

Thank you! :pir-huzzah2:

5 minutes ago, NOD said:

:pir_laugh2:  I am very excited to read a follow-up story about an expedition. Informative is the map where I can see where the expedition is at the moment. A very beautifully built and mysterious monument. I like how it's overgrown with plants.

A photo with the names of the people taking part in the expedition would be nice. Readers want to know who was bitten by a mule and who lost his cigars. I think it's the people that are at the Punto Sur Waterfront in one of the photos.

Thanks a lot! I will add a photo of the members of the expedition or show them in the next build :thumbup:

31 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

6 minutes ago, NOD said:

The idea of telling everything in one thread is only good in theory. The advantage of a new thread is that people notice that the expedition is continuing. If everything is in one thread it might not be noticed because the thread is pushed to the back.

I figured it would be better to have everything in one thread because, in 2 years time or so, people are unlikely to to click through several interconnected threads and i need to link to this thread only for people who want to read about the history of... :pir_laugh2:

Love this! I think you’ve done a really good job in breaking up the uniformity on the structure. I’ve also noticed and been intrigued by the lettering techniques used in quite a few Star Wars builds recently, and I think you’ve pulled it off brilliantly!

Looking forward to the next chapter of the expedition!

Edited by Lord Buckethead

19 hours ago, Lord Buckethead said:

Love this! I think you’ve done a really good job in breaking up the uniformity on the structure. I’ve also noticed and been intrigued by the lettering techniques used in quite a few Star Wars builds recently, and I think you’ve pulled it off brilliantly!

Looking forward to the next chapter of the expedition!

Thank you very much! :pir-huzzah2:

8 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Excellent gate!

Thank you!

8 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

I still haven't worked out how you did that front decoration. :thumbup: Keep going!

Jumper plates. Lots of jumper plates :pir_laugh2:

Beautiful indeed.. I really love this kind of builds . The mystery you add to the story really add something for me :thumbup:

I added the next part of the story to the second post and also updated the first post with an additional picture (showing the mentioned persons).

23 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

I added the next part of the story to the second post and also updated the first post with an additional picture (showing the mentioned persons).

I see. Really neat story so far. Very intriguing! Keep it up

This is an exciting continuation of the story and interesting builds. Meanwhile, they've found a clue about a friendly tribe.

The statue and sculpture are well constructed. I didn't realize before that the 30136 Brick looks scary from below, that's fitting for the statue's mouth.

On 7/18/2023 at 6:01 PM, NOD said:

This is an exciting continuation of the story and interesting builds. Meanwhile, they've found a clue about a friendly tribe.

The statue and sculpture are well constructed. I didn't realize before that the 30136 Brick looks scary from below, that's fitting for the statue's mouth.

Thank you! I saw that palisade brick used as a mouth in the big Indiana Jones set and wanted to try it myself. Actually i wanted to create more statues both the others did not look good :pir_laugh2: