Sarophas

[MOC] Medieval Danish Knight

I really like this! The scale and detail of the environment and the knight looks great. Can’t say I’ve seen that lance design before but I dig it. 

5 hours ago, SirBlake said:

I really like this! The scale and detail of the environment and the knight looks great. Can’t say I’ve seen that lance design before but I dig it. 

Thanks man! Glad you like it.

48 minutes ago, Wardancer said:

I like how the lance matches the colours of the barding. Are these candle pieces?

Thank you! Yes, as it turns out they work surprisingly well for making lances.

Oh, I love that lance construction! It definitely feels authentic to the colorful lances that sometimes appear on tapestries and other medieval illustrations. I think it would be especially fitting in a tournament scene, with two jousting knights sporting differently-colored lances. But it also looks very stylish here as armament for this lone  knight on patrol.

I notice you didn't include a plume on the knight's helmet. Is that a historical accuracy thing? I admit I don't know a whole lot about that sort of thing. It doesn't hurt the design by any means, it's just a choice I'm curious about.

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

Oh, I love that lance construction! It definitely feels authentic to the colorful lances that sometimes appear on tapestries and other medieval illustrations. I think it would be especially fitting in a tournament scene, with two jousting knights sporting differently-colored lances. But it also looks very stylish here as armament for this lone  knight on patrol.

I notice you didn't include a plume on the knight's helmet. Is that a historical accuracy thing? I admit I don't know a whole lot about that sort of thing. It doesn't hurt the design by any means, it's just a choice I'm curious about.

Thank you! Yes it would absolutely look the best in that setting, I honestly just wanted to make a small practice build using this technique.

As for the historical aspect, it differs a lot depending on the given region and period. But assuming he is just loosely based on history and not historically accurate, it seemed more practical not to wear a plume. Also it just looked out of place in this particular setup. In a jousting-setting though, a plume would be a must!

29 minutes ago, Dutch Thriceman said:

That is fantastic, I would love to see this followed up with a tournament build :wink:

Thanks man! Yeah me too, but I’d have to make some expensive BrickLink orders in order to realize my vision.

10 hours ago, Sarophas said:

Thanks man! Yeah me too, but I’d have to make some expensive BrickLink orders in order to realize my vision.

Oh yeah I understand, I've recently been on a bit of a nostalgic binge of Castle MOC's and got the urge to start my own Castle build. Found the perfect inspiration in a local nearby Castle just a few minutes from where I live, started building and immediatly realized I didn't have remotely enough of the parts needed to make it. And that is considering I'm going for the 14th century version of it, which is essentialy just a single square shape with a tower attached (which did seem like the perfect starting point for me as the last time I built a complete castle was a rainbow castle as a child haha). Now I'm already 3 new BL orders in, then looking at my budget and crying a little :laugh_hard:

9 hours ago, Dutch Thriceman said:

Oh yeah I understand, I've recently been on a bit of a nostalgic binge of Castle MOC's and got the urge to start my own Castle build. Found the perfect inspiration in a local nearby Castle just a few minutes from where I live, started building and immediatly realized I didn't have remotely enough of the parts needed to make it. And that is considering I'm going for the 14th century version of it, which is essentialy just a single square shape with a tower attached (which did seem like the perfect starting point for me as the last time I built a complete castle was a rainbow castle as a child haha). Now I'm already 3 new BL orders in, then looking at my budget and crying a little :laugh_hard:

I think we can all relate! I feel like light/dark-bluish gray is just a bottomless hole, the more you get, the more you need. Best of luck for the castle MOC, excited to see how it turns out!

2 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Brilliant design. Small, yet well detailed. The lance is a stand out feature. Kudos.

Thanks man! I did want the lance to be the focal point, so I’m glad it works.