Sign in to follow this  
suffocation

[moc] multifunction truck

This is a basic multifunction truck - shamelessly copied from a previous MOC of mine - with RC drive (XL), steering (servo), outriggers (M) and auxiliary (L) motor for powered attachments, as well as pendular suspension on all axles.

The model uses an old BuWizz 1.0 unit. It's designed to accommodate a number of attachments; here, we see it with a dump bed, a cherry picker (basically a carbon copy of Anto's - what a masterpiece he crafted!) and, just for shits and giggles, the claw from 42144 in black&yellow livery.

Plenty of room for improvement but a fun model nonetheless.

1280x1430.jpg
1280x694.jpg
1280x977.jpg
1280x1174.jpg
1280x521.jpg
1280x1121.jpg
1280x722.jpg
1280x1599.jpg
1280x1217.jpg
1280x1420.jpg
1280x607.jpg
1280x919.jpg
1280x1283.jpg
1280x908.jpg
1280x1165.jpg
1280x1361.jpg
1280x1103.jpg
1280x1103.jpg
1280x1707.jpg
1280x1498.jpg
1280x724.jpg
1280x759.jpg

Edited by suffocation

I love the simple but clean chassis and suspension, and the bodywork is really smooth. The attachments also go pretty well with it, looks really complete with all of them.

One question about the steering. From the servo, how much gearing does it go through? 2 (knob) gear meshes? Does that introduce lag into the steering and the return to center? I guess great precision does not matter for this one, just asking how that kind of setup functions.

Are the rear axles only articulating freely?

9 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

I love the simple but clean chassis and suspension, and the bodywork is really smooth. The attachments also go pretty well with it, looks really complete with all of them.

Was about to write the same, great work! But I can never let you go with the "cheating" on the height of the dump bed :D

And I really have to get my hands on the thin tires, I hope TLG uses them in newer trucks.

Edited by Jundis

19 hours ago, suffocation said:

1280x1103.jpg

Nice idea! I had a simial one, but for its predecessor, 42053 Volvo excavator. A project that I abandoned many years ago...

640x480.png 

Thanks for the kind feedback, guys :wub:

On 1/7/2023 at 11:44 PM, gyenesvi said:

One question about the steering. From the servo, how much gearing does it go through? 2 (knob) gear meshes? Does that introduce lag into the steering and the return to center? I guess great precision does not matter for this one, just asking how that kind of setup functions. 

Yes indeed, three gears for two meshes. There's a tad more play than you'd have normally, but it doesn't seem to affect playability.

On 1/7/2023 at 11:44 PM, gyenesvi said:

Are the rear axles only articulating freely?

Yep. The model's really light, so even with the cherry picker or dump bed modules it still stays perfectly upright during play. The lack of rear springs would definitely be an issue on a heavier model or with larger modules, though - the claw module almost tips it over :laugh:

On 1/8/2023 at 9:36 AM, Jundis said:

But I can never let you go with the "cheating" on the height of the dump bed :D

Ha ha, spot on :laugh: The first dump bed prototype was "fair" but looked hideous once it was mounted because of the huge gap between the truck and the bed.

By the way, I wouldn't have found out about those tyres if it weren't for you, so thank you again :wub:

On 1/8/2023 at 5:32 PM, Void_S said:

Nice idea! I had a simial one, but for its predecessor, 42053 Volvo excavator. A project that I abandoned many years ago...

That truck looks terrific! I hope you manage to work on it again and finish it.

Edited by suffocation