Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

19 hours ago, deskp said:

For those interested>

My Gallery of 2018 onwards minifigures is mostly up to date again with latest reveals.

Thank you! Well done, as always :laugh:

I recently rewatched the Gringotts break-in scene, and funnily enough spotted the exact same two unnamed goblins that you picked. Granted, the ginger one is pretty obvious as he gets quite the reaction shot when the dragon bursts through the floor

Pretty happy with Gringotts. I’m very surprised and impressed that they actually made it compatible with the 2020 Diagon Alley set. I was so worried they wouldn’t, especially after the new WWW set. The building looks great, the Ironbelly looks miles better than the 2019 Horntail, and the figures are great! Not totally sold on the underground section but it’s a nice touch, and I’m just glad it can be displayed without it. Definitely gonna get the set!

Gringotts looks pretty good and I'm impressed/surprised they actually managed to put it on a baseplate, though I can't help but also feel a little underwhelmed after 3 years of hype. The model makes a very striking first impression but as a hardcore fan the longer you look at it the more you start noticing a lot of small flaws that are just hard to ignore once you've seen them. It also feels weird to me to sacrifice screen-accuracy to include parts of the Universal park, the hybrid-Menagerie looks a bit wonky and the wall/lockerroom feels incredibly out of place. The underground section looks fairly good for what it is but I can't help but see it as a tacked on addition to a ~$250 Gringotts because they know the fans will buy it anyway. I personally would've much rather seen a separate underground set with the Ironbelly, which despite having some serious flaws still looks incredible. With Avengers Tower on the horizon and Rivendell still on my wanted list I'm not 100% sure if I'll pick it up yet but if I can I'm definitely getting it and going crazy modifying it :laugh:

4 hours ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Gringotts looks pretty good and I'm impressed/surprised they actually managed to put it on a baseplate, though I can't help but also feel a little underwhelmed after 3 years of hype. The model makes a very striking first impression but as a hardcore fan the longer you look at it the more you start noticing a lot of small flaws that are just hard to ignore once you've seen them. It also feels weird to me to sacrifice screen-accuracy to include parts of the Universal park, the hybrid-Menagerie looks a bit wonky and the wall/lockerroom feels incredibly out of place. The underground section looks fairly good for what it is but I can't help but see it as a tacked on addition to a ~$250 Gringotts because they know the fans will buy it anyway. I personally would've much rather seen a separate underground set with the Ironbelly, which despite having some serious flaws still looks incredible. With Avengers Tower on the horizon and Rivendell still on my wanted list I'm not 100% sure if I'll pick it up yet but if I can I'm definitely getting it and going crazy modifying it :laugh:

Absolutely agree, the allusions to the theme park seem out of place and certainly take something away from the set as a display piece. Also…there’s a Rivendell set somewhere with your name on it

9 hours ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Really good points, I think I’ve been feeling similar about this set - I like it but I don’t love the building. The bank is symmetrical and much more accurate but I almost wish it had some the more conventional charm of the 2011 Gringotts with its bigger door and columns + actual windows. 

That being said I think the underground features are the best parts of the set and also highlight a trend the designers of Harry Potter have stuck to for years - they never do playsets of just an interior or a diarama like Star Wars or marvel. I remember in 2011 there was a prototype of a Malloy manor interior play set that never saw the light of day - perhaps because the minifigures were not enough of a draw for a build that was just a backdrop 

This might just be me but I think that one thing hp has had going for it is strong builds in every set, not backdrops or bases that are just thrown in to accompany mini figures - now I think about it the recent graveyard duel is one of the only genuinely weak builds we’ve had 

35 minutes ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

The bank is symmetrical and much more accurate but I almost wish it had some the more conventional charm of the 2011 Gringotts with its bigger door and columns + actual windows. 

The 2011 one was indeed pretty charming, but it was SO inaccurate it’s almost comical :laugh: What a difference 12 years can make!

10 hours ago, lego_guyon02 said:

I personally would've much rather seen a separate underground set with the Ironbelly, which despite having some serious flaws still looks incredible.

Not sure how well that would sell on its own. Besides, both individual aspects would have to be D2C sets, so they’d have to be released at separate times (maybe even separate years). I could see people wanting the bank without the minecarts (a sentiment shared by people in this very thread), but not really the other way around, so a separate minecart set would likely not have sold that well. Unless it was way cheaper, but then it wouldn’t be large enough to support the bank on top.

Thus I’m glad they decided to go with the ultimate Gringotts set, including everything associated with the bank in one neat package :thumbup:

22 hours ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

I remember in 2011 there was a prototype of a Malloy manor interior play set that never saw the light of day - perhaps because the minifigures were not enough of a draw for a build that was just a backdrop 

This might just be me but I think that one thing hp has had going for it is strong builds in every set, not backdrops or bases that are just thrown in to accompany mini figures - now I think about it the recent graveyard duel is one of the only genuinely weak builds we’ve had 

I strongly disagree. What about the recent Battle of Hogwarts? No-one bought that one for anything but the figs (or completionism). And what about the Fluffy Encounter and the new Sirius'  Rescue before that?

Or the older Expecto Patronum with like one single tree cut in halves, or the Forbidden Forest set before that? Those were all about the figs, too. Or the Thestral Carriage. At least Grindelwald 's had a roof! (I mean I can see why they'd have traded that in for a baby thestral,  but it's still a weak build.)

Edited by brickbride

19 minutes ago, brickbride said:

the Thestral Carriage. At least Grindelwald 's had a roof! 

They left off the roof for accuracy - the carriages in the OotP movie were actual open topped carriages instead of enclosed coaches. 

On 7/27/2023 at 5:51 AM, brickbride said:

No-one bought that one for anything but the figs

I’m not sure you speak for everyone here.

3 hours ago, sammy_zammy said:

Yeah, personally I think the figures in that set were terrible. Well, nothing new and exciting to me anyway. I was 100% not getting that set initially. The ONLY reason I bought it was to complete the "modular Hogwarts". Needed something to make that horrible modular system look like something decent.

In saying that though, I do completely agree with brickbride in that I also strongly disagree with HP having strong builds in every set. Personally I only feel like there's been a half dozen "good" sets in the last 3 years.

Edited by chris6507

On 7/28/2023 at 8:43 AM, chris6507 said:

Yeah, personally I think the figures in that set were terrible. Well, nothing new and exciting to me anyway. I was 100% not getting that set initially. The ONLY reason I bought it was to complete the "modular Hogwarts". Needed something to make that horrible modular system look like something decent.

In saying that though, I do completely agree with brickbride in that I also strongly disagree with HP having strong builds in every set. Personally I only feel like there's been a half dozen "good" sets in the last 3 years.

I think the figures in that set were pretty good. Only problem is that there weren’t enough of them

5 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I think the figures in that set were pretty good. Only problem is that there weren’t enough of them

Agreed, such a major drawback that it didn’t include Battle Ron to complete the trio - thry could have included Lucius to keep the numbers even (presuming that Narcissa is being saved for a new forbidden forest encounter set somewhere down the line). 

23 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Especially since the original rumour included McGonagall. A couple of statues would also have been nice additions. It‘s still a cool set though and the Scabior minifig alone sold me on it :laugh:

Still hoping for another BoH set at some point so we can get DH Ron, Narcissa, and Lucius with stubble

For those interested, a leak of the Marvel series 2 cmf checklist has officially confirmed that the owl included there is a new tinier mold. Suitable for screech owls and other smaller species. 

Fingers crossed that the Harry Potter designers jump on that for next year’s sets - they have been good about consistently giving us owls every year. And I don’t think we’ve gone more than one year without a new owl recolor+reprint in the Harry Potter (never mind the 3 introduced outside the theme) so we’re arguably due one next year since there wasn’t one this year. 

38 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

For those interested, a leak of the Marvel series 2 cmf checklist has officially confirmed that the owl included there is a new tinier mold. Suitable for screech owls and other smaller species. 

Fingers crossed that the Harry Potter designers jump on that for next year’s sets - they have been good about consistently giving us owls every year. And I don’t think we’ve gone more than one year without a new owl recolor+reprint in the Harry Potter (never mind the 3 introduced outside the theme) so we’re arguably due one next year since there wasn’t one this year. 

Looks like it’ll be a perfect Pigwidgeon

Any idea when we’ll get winter wave info? 

Kind of an interesting spot right now after the last three years which have been a downgrade from the earlier stuff, to say the least. If the castle is rebooted I’m sure we won’t know until the summer 2024 wave but it’ll be interesting to see if we get yet another fold out system or if those are being left in the past now that the new lead has fully taken the reins. We’ve had books, trunks, and banners already so  what’s left? Feels like we’re already scraping the bottom of the barrel. Wands? Scarves? Cauldrons? Potion bottles? Those are probably all scrawled on a whiteboard somewhere in Denmark. Personally I think they should make accurate Hogwarts buildings which fold out and have interiors. That would be cool. 

2 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

More like spring wave, as they‘re released in March :laugh:

But you‘re right, it‘s pretty hard to come up with a new type of gimmick sets. We already had classrooms and common rooms, so what else can they do? The dormitories with everyone in their PJs? :tongue:

Going back to classrooms (but with a new gimmick rather than books) seems like something they‘d do in the future, but it‘s too soon for that

49 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

More like spring wave, as they‘re released in March :laugh:

But you‘re right, it‘s pretty hard to come up with a new type of gimmick sets. We already had classrooms and common rooms, so what else can they do? The dormitories with everyone in their PJs? :tongue:

Going back to classrooms (but with a new gimmick rather than books) seems like something they‘d do in the future, but it‘s too soon for that

Maybe Diagon Alley shops? WWW is supposed to be significantly larger than the other storefronts - you might theoretically be able to make something for the smaller ones in the $40 price range of the gimmick sets. 

12 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

Maybe Diagon Alley shops? WWW is supposed to be significantly larger than the other storefronts - you might theoretically be able to make something for the smaller ones in the $40 price range of the gimmick sets. 

I quite like the idea, but what would be the gimmick? Store signs? :laugh: 

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I'd totally get the Hogwarts Houses Slumber Party sets, tbh. 

On 7/28/2023 at 11:43 AM, sammy_zammy said:

I don't have the set, so I don't care either way, but everywhere it was discussed, people went: "Yay, a DH set! Finally we get a minifigure of Scabior/an updated minifigure of (whoever)!" I didn't notice anyone going "Wow, that build looks great, I'd have to get it no matter what figs came with it!"

7 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Wands? Scarves? Cauldrons? Potion bottles? Those are probably all scrawled on a whiteboard somewhere in Denmark.

Nah, not potions bottles. Those don't lend themselves to including enough Gryffindor minifigs.

Other than that: Please don't give them ideas!

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I quite like the idea, but what would be the gimmick? Store signs? :laugh: 

Those wouldn't be compatible with WWW, so I very much doubt they'd give us two new DA series at the same time (plus Gringotts). I mean everyone argued that the Moments books were the reason the modular Hogwarts has next to no classrooms.

I could see something like a DA trunk though (to keep the trunk line going) where you can cobble together your own shops.

Edited by brickbride

4 hours ago, brickbride said:

everywhere it was discussed

Literally in this forum people were glad to be getting a courtyard build, impressed by how you could change it to be half destroyed, and excited that you can also build the viaduct.

49 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

Literally in this forum people were glad to be getting a courtyard build, impressed by how you could change it to be half destroyed, and excited that you can also build the viaduct.

If you can even call that a courtyard. Most of the excitement seemed to come from the initial description which made the set sound much better than it turned out to be IMO. But to each their own.

Meanwhile, I've come up with the perfect new gimmick: a HP buildable forearms collection to go with the Marvel glove collection! For starters, Snape's forearm (black robe sleeve, white used as a skin tone, Dark Mark), and Dumbledore's cursed blackened hand (garish robe sleeve, Horcrux ring). Next wave: various animagi and werewolves caught in mid- transformation. Watch out for James Potter's half-human, half-stag forearm! Who needs decently priced playsets when we all love buildable display objects just that much?

Edited by brickbride

12 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

A bunch of 1HY stuff just dropped for Star Wars, so it looks like it’s leaks season! Harry Potter stuff could come tomorrow or weeks from now in my experience, but at least we know the info on the spring sets (from all themes) is somewhere to be found now.