Sign in to follow this  
Simon_S

GoH 10C: Meet Hallad, the half frozen Berserk

Chapter 1: A Mitgardian Adventure https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/191046-a-mitgardian-adventure/

Chapter 2: Meeting with Haldor, the Master Builder of Bridges https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/191588-meeting-with-haldor-the-master-builder-of-bridges/

Chapter 3: The Hideout https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/192000-the-hideout/

Chapter 4: The Cake https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/192047-the-cake/

Chapter 5: New Belynia https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/192687-goh-10-b-new-belynia/

So this is my entry to the Celebrating Historica Contest category C: Miscellaneous

After Simon, Ingrid and Stephan got out of trouble in New Belynia, he continued his journey and headed north. He heard a legend about a half frozen berserk who was living all alone in the cold. He figured out that he could learn a lot from him about how to survive in difficult situations. So he decided to seek him.

As Ingrid indicated, she stayed in New Belynia and followed the prince who brought peace and justice for the poor.

Stephan also left Simon, he went south. He always had his raven with him. And the raven always told him where to go. One day he suddenly flew away in a southward direction. So Stephan and Simon also split up and Stephan went his own path.

Simon was alone.

He walked and walked and walked... and it was getting colder and colder. In every village he asked people about this legend. And they always told him the same thing:

"You're not here yet. You have go deeper in the icescapes."

So he continued... until he one day saw a small lonesome hut behind a frozen marsh.

52534512819_94deee8400_b.jpg

It all looked very old, like it was frozen since centuries. "I must have missed the half frozen berserk. It's way too cold up here. If he really lives here, he must be all frozen.", Simon thought. But then he noticed that there were signs of life within the ice: A small wooden bridge led over the marsh. and behind it was some smoke coming out of the chimney of the hut. And was that the barking of a dog? No, that's not possible. Still Simon wanted to check it out. So he went over the bridge.

Althought everything was frozen and hard as stone, his knees started wobbling. They became wiggly like a good mitgardian blueberry pudding. He was so afraid of that bridge. "I bet nobody crossed that bridge in the last ten years." he feared. But then he took all his courage together and crossed it.

52534774763_9e94abc9c9_b.jpg

When he arrived at the hut he couldn't believe his eyes. There he stood with his barking husky.

Hallad, the half frozen berserk.

52534512909_45f79ddedb_b.jpg

This man is a living legend. How could he survive up here? And wasn't the lonesome life totally boring?

Simon startet noticing all the bones laying around in the snow. He couldn't see them first, but then he saw them. He was so frightened. Would Hallad eat him and then throw his bones in the snow to scare off other travelers?

He just stood there. His blue half frozen body didn't move an inch. Is he even alive?

Simon waved him and cried: "Hello my name is Simon. Who are you? Are you Hallad the half frozen berserk?"

Hallad: "Hallad I am."

Simon was somehow relieved that Hallad lived and that he finally found him. But somehow he also hoped that he would be all frozen and that he could just turn away and leave. He asked timidly: "Are you going to eat me?"

Hallad: "Hallad is not eating humans. Do not be afraid."

Simon: "Where are the bones from?"

Hallad: "Chicken."

Simon: "Oh I see. Look Hallad, I'm here for your advice. I'm going to inherit the sheep flock of my father and I have to prove my dignity that I'm worthy as heir. You are like a living legend. People look up to you. Maybe you can tell me what I can do to get the reputation I'm looking for."

Hallad: "You need a beautiful wife. I suggest you head south and ask the frog king. He can help you."

Simon: "The frog king?"

Hallad: "Yes the frog king. I have to leave now and make a larger fire that I won't get totally frozen. That once happend to me and I stayed that way for over a year until a friendly wanderer came who defrosted me with a lovely warming fire. I don't want to expirience that again. So goodbye and good luck on your journey."

Simon: "Wait Hallad, where can I find the frog king?"

Hallad: "South. Avalonia. In a marsh. But not in a frozen one. Goodbye. Hallad is leaving now."

He went back into his hut. Simon had no idea where to find the frog king. It could be anywhere in Avalonia. But he had no other choice... he left, looking for the frog king.

To be continued...

Lots of great techniques in this moc, particularly the trees, the bridge, and the boards of the cabin walls. I love your use of the Korg torso! 

Another wonderful installment in your story!

On 12/17/2022 at 11:20 PM, The Stad said:

Lots of great techniques in this moc, particularly the trees, the bridge, and the boards of the cabin walls. I love your use of the Korg torso! 

Another wonderful installment in your story!

Thank you :-). The Korg torso was the inspiration for making the berserk half frozen. I actually built this together with my wife (slowly turning her into an AFOL hehe :pir-laugh:). The wall technique is something which seemed quite common to me... a lot of people use it nowadays. It was the first time I tried it out and it was so instable. I have much respect for people who use this. Also the bridge took quite some time. I would have liked to have it more curved (the tiles are hold together with flex tubes) but that somehow looked too comical. So I went for this more traditional style. Thanks for your kind words and merry Christmas! Simon

What a cool scene! :wink:  Seriously though, I really love the light aqua you added, it makes everything look really cold!  Great texture on the walls of the hut!

On 12/28/2022 at 2:43 AM, Kai NRG said:

What a cool scene! :wink:  Seriously though, I really love the light aqua you added, it makes everything look really cold!  Great texture on the walls of the hut!

thanks man :-). I had this light aqua parts in my collection for a long time and waited for a good use and finally I could incorporate them in a build :-).

This is a gorgeous build from top to bottom.  You really use the aqua parts well. They can be too much if you're heavy handed with them, but you use them judiciously as accents, which really add to the cold feeling of the piece. The low slung, high pitched roof adds to the sense of cold, and I LOVE the tight strips of wood. Not only detailed, but more than likely trees are going to be fewer in the northern climates, so will be smaller as well, leading to smaller boards. Very realistic.  The trans light blue looks excellent as almost frozen water, and you have excellent depth shading under it. I'm not 100% convinced as to what the 2x2 rounded jumper tiles are, but I'm willing to go with it.  The bridge is well done, and the firewood is a nice touch, though I might ask why it's not covered when everything is going to be drenched in snow. You do an excellent job blending the snow in at the junction of the roof with the ground.  As always, enjoying Simon's exploits! Keep up the excellent work!

That frozen hut is top notch! The wooden texturing is great, and I love the a-symmetrical design. The frozen landscape is also phenomenal! 

Love the cold feeling in this moc. Also splendid house, nice work on the woodwork and snow all over. Also a great touch of using Korg, it's so perfect for Mitgardia!!