Sign in to follow this  
TheBeeze

Great Brick War: Holiday Challenge! 11/25/22 - 12/30/22

Great Brick War: Holiday Challenge! 11/25/22 - 12/30/22

52517266251_6a7d52f772_c.jpg 

Greetings Commanders! As our year draws to a close, we have received a care package courtesy of one of our Sponsors  Minifigcat.com 34481343694_4b0d2dc8bb_s.jpg
We are going to be running a building challenge to decide who will get this awesome pack.

Mission Briefing:

At 2300 Hours last night, a cargo plane from the totalitarian nation of Tosul was spotted on radar over the Bruke Atoll. A Brick of Nations combined squadron of fighters currently enforcing sanctions on Tosul intercepted the suspected plane breaking the embargo. The pilot was unresponsive to their calls to divert and land. The pilots were forced to engage the aircraft and it came apart over the island. The contents of the aircraft are rumored to be nuclear material that are being sold to a developing nation looking to align itself with Tosul. After the incident intelligence reports the Tosul military has mobilized a force to illegally storm the island and recover the contents. 

The Brick of Nations held an emergency council meeting shortly after and is putting together a joint task force to recover the contents of the aircraft. Nations are being asked to volunteer what they can with regard to Quick Reaction Forces to get to the island as quick as possible and secure the cargo. The council stressed caution but has authorized the use of in repelling Tosul aggression. 

(Click for HD Image)
52521968212_6d32fd19ca_b.jpgBurke Atoll Holiday Map by Jesse Beeze, on Flickr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Build Rules 

• Players must build a MOC showing their forces at Burke Atoll attempting to recover the contents of the crash cargo plane. 
  • Builds MUST be original
  • Build must be reflective of the grid square you've chosen to build on (don't show your guys in snow when the map reflects a tropical jungle)
  • Minimum size build is 32x32 
  • The community will be judging the contest by vote
  • Contest is open to NON GBW Players
  • Builds must be posted here on EB with the Title of the post to be: GBW HC - Your Name- Grid Square - MOC Title
  • Pictures should be hosted on a site like flickr or imgur
  • Multiple pictures, angles, and details are encouraged to be posted
  • Digital builds are not eligible
  • All builds must be submitted no later than 12/30/22
  • Only REAL Lego brand bricks and pieces for building! 3rd party suppliers for minifigs, weapons, and gear are encouraged.

Contest is not eligible to anyone in Russia, Ukraine, or Belarus due to shipping restrictions.

Please follow and share on Instagram @great_brick_war

Good Luck!

On 11/21/2022 at 9:06 AM, TheBeeze said:

Digital builds are not eligible

Ouch. That + very short notice is going to rule out a ton of would-be participants.

Sorry, in my opinion a very unappropriate building contest theme in these days.
Even posting this as a headline on eurobricks.com.

10 hours ago, LordsofMedieval said:

Ouch. That + very short notice is going to rule out a ton of would-be participants.

Well the details will drop on Friday and all who are interested can participate as they can. Giving away items to be used in conjunction with real bricks for a rendering made on a computer just does not jive. 

4 hours ago, tsi said:

Sorry, in my opinion a very unappropriate building contest theme in these days.
Even posting this as a headline on eurobricks.com.

One can argue there is never an appropriate time for anything related to war since there is constant conflict throughout our world on a regular basis, but just because current events hit close to home for some does not change that. If you are not aware, everything we do in Great Brick War is based in a completely fictitious world with made up countries for the sole purpose of not singling any one out. At the end of the day this is not tied in to anything happening in the real world. 

1 minute ago, TheBeeze said:

One can argue there is never an appropriate time for anything related to war since there is constant conflict throughout our world on a regular basis, but just because current events hit close to home for some does not change that. If you are not aware, everything we do in Great Brick War is based in a completely fictitious world with made up countries for the sole purpose of not singling any one out. At the end of the day this is not tied in to anything happening in the real world. 

Very well said. BTW I come from Poland ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Great Brick War existed long before that big country decided to invade that smaller country at the outskirts of Europe. And then (mostly) nobody had a problem with military mocs, though a lot of people of different countries fought in Afghanistan, Irak, Mali etc. (including Germans)

GBW is an alternative, fictional universe which should have nothing to do with politics, opinions and moral - because, in the end those are all very subjective things. (That is why I personally would not exclude Russia, Belarus and especially Ukraine members).

If we start discussing who has a superior moral by not building military mocs - then we are in the middle of Cancel Culture wars und subsequently politics. And then I have some more comments (#sendtheleos)

So - if you like it, participate. If not, just ignore it.

Edited by jansued

4 hours ago, TheBeeze said:

Well the details will drop on Friday and all who are interested can participate as they can. Giving away items to be used in conjunction with real bricks for a rendering made on a computer just does not jive. 

It's okay, man, you don't need to justify the theme. I mean, despite Lego's claims to the contrary, 'war' - albeit not modern - is everywhere in their product: pirates, castle, Star Wars, etc. Plus there are violent subthemes like Marvel, DC, Police, and so-on that are all based on conflict.

War is just... part of who we are. Some people fight for bad reasons, and others good. But there really isn't an option to not defend yourself, your country, your interests, etc. unless you want to cease to be. Even pacifist nations like Switzerland and Norway understand this. Just because Lego as a company draws this silly line in the sand about conflict doesn't mean you need to defend modeling that unaddressed niche. Lego refuses to address a great many subjects, modern warfare being just one. And it is definitely a viable, compelling, and relevant theme.

8 hours ago, TheBeeze said:

4 hours ago, jansued said:

Great Brick War existed long before that big country decided to invade that smaller country at the outskirts of Europe. And then (mostly) nobody had a problem with military mocs, though a lot of people of different countries fought in Afghanistan, Irak, Mali etc. (including Germans)

GBW is an alternative, fictional universe which should have nothing to do with politics, opinions and moral - because, in the end those are all very subjective things. (That is why I personally would not exclude Russia, Belarus and especially Ukraine members).

If we start discussing who has a superior moral by not building military mocs - then we are in the middle of Cancel Culture wars und subsequently politics. And then I have some more comments (#sendtheleos)

So - if you like it, participate. If not, just ignore it.

Well said. It's hard to be upset merely because a conflict is much closer than others and making people uncomfortable. Most of us are living well compared to many and should be thankful for this.

I believe the contest sponsor made the stipulation about what nations aren't allowed. That is their prerogative.

51 minutes ago, Brickvik said:

At what time approximately will the details drop?

Original Post Updated. Build Challenge is LIVE. Good Luck to Everyone!

On 11/23/2022 at 1:15 PM, jansued said:

(That is why I personally would not exclude Russia, Belarus and especially Ukraine members). 

As I indicated, this is outside of my control due to shipping restrictions on the prize. 

On 11/21/2022 at 12:06 PM, TheBeeze said:

I have a question about the map, where is the crash site, and also, could we get a run down of the special spots around the map? thank you

On 11/25/2022 at 4:34 PM, Brickvik said:

I have a question about the map, where is the crash site, and also, could we get a run down of the special spots around the map? thank you

I edited your post, we try not to quote entire posts. No one knows where the exact spot is, that's why everyone is out looking for it. Makes for better story telling that way.

Also, the spots are what they are on the map. You see an airport, a city, jungle, mountains, lighthouses, dockyards, etc. It is up to you and your builds to fill in the details. 

On 11/25/2022 at 4:34 PM, Brickvik said:

I have a question about the holiday contest, is it possible to use instagram to post the pictures, and not imgur or flickr, I do not have an account on either one, but I do have an instagram account

No, pictures must be posted here so people can see them all in the thread. Look at at other previous builds people have done here for reference on how to do this. Both flick and imgur are free. 

15 hours ago, TribunM said:

Now is the idea to have wreck elements in each build?

The scene is what you imagine it to be. If envision wreckage scattered about, then make it happen in brick form. If the cargo popped loose, present that scene. The openness of the map options and description allows for considerable creativity for those entering.

16 hours ago, TribunM said:

Now is the idea to have wreck elements in each build?

57 minutes ago, Feuer Zug said:

The scene is what you imagine it to be. If envision wreckage scattered about, then make it happen in brick form. If the cargo popped loose, present that scene. The openness of the map options and description allows for considerable creativity for those entering.

This.

What's to say your team doesn't find anything and ambushes a Tosul convoy? or maybe they just blow up some stuff in the process. This is totally up to you and your imagination. 

12 hours ago, lego_bluehead said:

Is it possible to extend the deadline? 2 weeks top. 

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to be rude, but this is not correct for us who participated in the established times, I can understand an extension of another max 3 days, in case, but even 2 weeks seems excessive to me. However, it is up to the forum admins and mods to decide.

On 12/31/2022 at 3:38 PM, lego_bluehead said:

Is it possible to extend the deadline? 2 weeks top. 

Negative sorry