Hello folks!

Let me introduce you my latest MOC , it is a Mercedes-Benz Unimog U5023 built in 1:17 scale.

Link to complete model on rebrickable : https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-128614/DLTC/unimog-u5023/#details

I have always been a fan of Unimogs , one of the reasons is that i have seen both my grandfather and my father driving them as they were firefighters. Another reason is that when you think of an actual polyvalent off-road truck ,the unimog has always been the best one since it was born in 1951.

I guess that if you are here,you probably know the specs of this unimog but anyways, let me tell you a bit.The unimog U4023/5023 is an off-road truck made by Mercedes-Benz special-trucks , it belongs to the cattegory UHN ("Hochgeländegängig" or highly mobile cross country) , it is equipped with the OM 934 LA engine , intersetingly since years ago Unimogs now acomodate the engine in a middle-front configuartion , literally the engine is under the centre´s seat which provides a better centre of gravity.

Unimogs have always been known for their capabilities , thanks to their portal-axles now equipped with torque tubes , ladder frame which is able to safely "twist" while having a pretty nice payload ,their differentials which can be locked , the huge tires which can have the pressure adjusted to the terrain combined with few others functions that makes it so polyvalent.

1668350545154.jpg

1668350545089.jpg

1668350545061.jpg

1668350545131.jpg

1668350544975.jpg

1668350544954.jpg

1668350544931.jpg

1668350544998.jpg

1668350545018.jpg

UNIMOG%20U5023.png

46.png

bottom.png

Link to complete model on rebrickable : https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-128614/DLTC/unimog-u5023/#details

I am already working on attachments , starting for a simple bed but also building a pneumatic crane with outriggers.

See you soon!

As someone who likes Unimogs (and have some special connection with them since my father worked in Gaggenau), i must admit that on belly shot i didn't noticed portal axles and i prefere technic look for cab; but this version is also nice (BTW since you chose 1:17 scale; overall width should be max 18 studs)

Smooth looking Unimog! Angled cab is a nice addition, although it introduced a bunch of new problems. Love the overall appeareance.

18 minutes ago, 1gor said:

since you chose 1:17 scale; overall width should be max 18 studs

Yeah, or even 17 studs.
Since the U5023 is around 2340mm wide/17 = 17.2 studs wide model.

31 minutes ago, 1gor said:

As someone who likes Unimogs (and have some special connection with them since my father worked in Gaggenau), i must admit that on belly shot i didn't noticed portal axles and i prefere technic look for cab; but this version is also nice (BTW since you chose 1:17 scale; overall width should be max 18 studs)

You are right , portal axles is one of the thing that makes the unimog a unimog , but the axles aren´t wide enough to fit a lego portal hub (i tryed making ones with 8tooth gears but again it was wider), that is one of the reason why it is 19 studs wide instead of 18 as you said ,  axle studs is odd and there is no convinient way of making them pair so mudguards are parallel to tires .

9 minutes ago, Milan said:

Smooth looking Unimog! Angled cab is a nice addition, although it introduced a bunch of new problems. Love the overall appeareance.

Yeah, or even 17 studs.

Thanks!! Yep , the angled cab has few disadvantages but i honestly tryed it also squared and i hated it because i was laking the actual angles.

And yes, the model is 1 studs wider , mainly due to the axles and tires which can´t be narrower so i enlarged the mudguards as i didn´t like the as i call it "american wide wheels pickup style"

Edited by DLTC

10 minutes ago, Milan said:

Yeah, or even 17 studs.

agree Milan; there is version with wider mudguards 495/70R24 tires that is 2500mm wide (I was studying it for my 1:18 version which is still in plan)

@DLTC i have managed to make 1:18 scale Unimog with portal axle hubs and black cat 68.8 tires, but it is not for power functions because it is to fragile...

11 minutes ago, 1gor said:

agree Milan; there is version with wider mudguards 495/70R24 tires that is 2500mm wide (I was studying it for my 1:18 version which is still in plan)

@DLTC i have managed to make 1:18 scale Unimog with portal axle hubs and black cat 68.8 tires, but it is not for power functions because it is to fragile...

I had the same problem talking about fragility , i managed to make portal axles but the model is heavy and gears sliped too often so i ended up making a normal axle ,i wish i could have included them but i built it in 2 years and a half and i didn´t find something suitable , i am not saying its impossible though

9 minutes ago, DLTC said:

I had the same problem talking about fragility , i managed to make portal axles but the model is heavy and gears sliped too often so i ended up making a normal axle ,i wish i could have included them but i built it in 2 years and a half and i didn´t find something suitable , i am not saying its impossible though

one of the main problem are lego wheels with negative offset; older truck wheels like for 62,4 x 20 and 68.8 x 24 tires have a bit of that, but to small to integrate portal axle hub deeper inside wheel

This is pretty cool! Not only does it look fantastic, but it also seems interesting on the inside. I like the placement of the electronics, and the way you incorporated the ball joints into the suspension without a negative caster angle at the front! Is it only using a panhard rod to stabilize the axles for sideways movement (I see it at the back, but guessing there's one on the front too, furthermore I don't see any suspension links on the sides)? I also wonder how the steering is implemented, I guess it's the central L motor which is off the axle.

Also, I like the way the mudguards are built, I might use that idea :)

18 hours ago, suffocation said:

That's a beauty and a half :pir-love:

Thank you very much!!

8 hours ago, Jurss said:

Good looking and huge.

I'm just missing some attachment or something.

HI! , thanks!

Yeah , i uploaded it without attachments since they will be modular. I just finnished doing a simple bed and started making a penumatic crane with outrigerrs.

BED%201.png

BED%202.png

7 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

This is pretty cool! Not only does it look fantastic, but it also seems interesting on the inside. I like the placement of the electronics, and the way you incorporated the ball joints into the suspension without a negative caster angle at the front! Is it only using a panhard rod to stabilize the axles for sideways movement (I see it at the back, but guessing there's one on the front too, furthermore I don't see any suspension links on the sides)? I also wonder how the steering is implemented, I guess it's the central L motor which is off the axle.

Also, I like the way the mudguards are built, I might use that idea :)

Hi, thanks for your words!!

Yes, i am using panhards rods at front and back (front one uses a6L one which is a bit hiddden) ,there are no more stabilizers aside of panhards , just because it doesn´t really have much looseness.

You are also right about steering , the L motor at back is the one encharged of , and trasmit the movement throught cv-joints and a cardan(i tryed to avoid using it but cv-joints are longer ...) to the rack and pinion.

Captura.PNG

Nice to hear that about mudguards!! , use it if you want!!!

13 hours ago, DLTC said:

I just finnished doing a simple bed and started making a penumatic crane with outrigerrs.

Good, and good luck!