DrJB

Illicit videos and sets on not-so-honest sites

I was browsing for few sets I'd like to build over the holidays. Then came across two posts that were rather not too 'honest'.

1. Slythering Toves by @aneth - on aliexpress.com, they sell a complete set (non-lego)

2. @berthil's Staggering Lift GBC - Was looking for instructions, then someone on youtube decided to post a video 'discussing' those instructions

Don't people have nothing better to do than profit from other fellow humans work?

I got used to it but that doesn't mean I like it of course. They even use my foto and video material to sell a bag of clone bricks together with my original building instruction. The only one that behaves well is Mould King to whom I licensed out a few designs. Although even these Mould King sets are copied too. I'm a believer of karma, 'do good for others and ...'. That's why I keep my instructions free despite these clone copiers. Why should many 'suffer' from a few rotten apples.

Edited by Berthil
typos

I assume that the first is intended to refer to Slithy Toves by me.

It seems to be an axiom of today's world that any intellectual property with any value will be stolen. Unless you can afford a team of lawyers there is very little you can do about it.

I don't believe in karma but I deal with it by reminding myself what is important. I design and build to make myself and others happy, not to make money. It's highly unlikely that I could make a living out of it, and I have a decent job that does that. So I'll continue to make ideas and instructions available for free to anyone who wants them.

5 hours ago, Berthil said:

I got used to it but that doesn't mean I like it of course. They even use my foto and video material to sell a bag of clone bricks together with my original building instruction. The only one that behaves well is Mould King to whom I licensed out a few designs. Although even these Mould King sets are copied too. I'm a believer of karma, 'do good for others and ...'. That's why I keep my instructions free despite these clone copiers. Why should many 'suffer' from a few rotten apples.

I admire so much of your work, and even more so for the fact that you provide instructions for free and are always helpful with problems builders may encounter when building your creations. If good karma exists, you have certainly earned a lot of it!

2 hours ago, aeh5040 said:

I assume that the first is intended to refer to Slithy Toves by me.

It seems to be an axiom of today's world that any intellectual property with any value will be stolen. Unless you can afford a team of lawyers there is very little you can do about it.

I don't believe in karma but I deal with it by reminding myself what is important. I design and build to make myself and others happy, not to make money. It's highly unlikely that I could make a living out of it, and I have a decent job that does that. So I'll continue to make ideas and instructions available for free to anyone who wants them.

Indeed. The most important thing is that you're happy with your own creations and with your hobby. These design thieves are of course annoying, but I doubt they make that much of money from their illicit business and unless you're attempting to make a living from building Lego, then there's no real damage done even your designs are stolen.

9 hours ago, aeh5040 said:

Wonderful - and absolutely my way of thinking, believing and doing. With regard to playing and creating with LEGO ;)

Nothing more to add.

Those who want to make money out of stolen stuff: Just do it - if you can live with it - I could never. It is a shame.

Those who are really upset about this "stealing" and then looking at how these folks make money out of that: Once something is in the public domain and not protected in any way other than claiming "this is mine" - welcome to capitalistic reality - >including< getting and paying a lawyer to defend that action: May work, may (almost certainly) not, provided you have the money. Yes it is yours, and yes you have the rights - so in capitalism, go get a lawyer and fight this through. Money-wise.

And that's it for me.

Best,
Thorsten