evancelt

[WIP] MILS Train Layout

I'm working on a 15 baseplate historical train MILS layout. As it will take me a while to complete, I figured I would post progress updates here.

My overall goal with this build is to have a larger layout that is relatively easy to take to train shows.

The overall plan will be to create something that is laid out like this (pictured here using quick Studio stand-ins), but with real elevation and detail

mils-train-plan-overview.png

Got started with 2 of the front MILS modules. I cut some older green baseplates to attach edging to the front of the modules. These 8x edging modules could be removed to integrate the main layout into a larger LUG display (i.e., tracks wrapping around lots of builds).

Rather than go with normal 1-brick-high MILS, I'm going to make most of the modules at least 2 bricks high (some will be 1 high along the edge). The edging modules transform the main modules down to baseplate height.

mils-train-base-edging-1.jpg

mils-train-base-edging-2.jpg

mils-train-base-edging-3.jpg

Next up, it will be time to ballast under the track curves, and add tiles ties to the top of the track. Then 13 more modules to go!

Cutting baseplates can cause nausea, so I've included photos of that in a spoiler:

Spoiler

mils-train-base-cut-1.jpg

mils-train-base-cut-2.jpg

mils-train-base-cut-3.jpg

Here are some initial photos of the proto-train (think 1820's Stevenson's Rocket) that this display will feature.

It still needs some flextube added to attach the stack to the furnace, and then it's on to the tender!

mils-train-train-idea-1.jpg

mils-train-train-idea-2.jpg

Thanks @JopieK & @jtooker!

Came into another dozen of the 6x6 round bricks from the new anniversary castle, so added them to the overall plan to help flesh out the multiple tiers of elevation

mils-train-plan-overview-2.png

Also had a chance to add some flextube to the proto-train

mils-train-train-idea-3.jpg

You can see it in action here :pir-grin:

Got started on a corner module and ballasted some curved track. Waiting on a bunch more tiles to come in the mail! They'll be used for rail ties.

mils-train-progress-1.jpg

mils-train-progress-2.jpg

Nice work, Evancelt, in what period is your project located? 1800-1850's? As I see your steam locomotive, it looks a lot like the ones used by the Hollandsche IJzeren Spoorweg-Maatschappij  (Dutch Iron Railway Company) around 1839. These were based on the Patentee, a locomotive type designed and patented by Robert Stephenson and Company in 1833. And challenging to build it in MILLS 😃👍.

You've used a lot of 1x4 tiles with woodprint as railway sleepers. But for the 1x1's as sleeper ends you use the normal reddish brown. I think it looks better when you use reddish brown for all (and easier and cheaper to get too 😉).

What is the idea for the look of your layout? A village with station European style or maybe Western style? Countryside? I'm really looking forward for more.......🚂🚋🚋👍

Just now, Vliebricker said:

Nice work, Evancelt, in what period is your project located? 1800-1850's? As I see your steam locomotive, it looks a lot like the ones used by the Hollandsche IJzeren Spoorweg-Maatschappij  (Dutch Iron Railway Company) around 1839. These were based on the Patentee, a locomotive type designed and patented by Robert Stephenson and Company in 1833. And challenging to build it in MILLS 😃👍.

You've used a lot of 1x4 tiles with woodprint as railway sleepers. But for the 1x1's as sleeper ends you use the normal reddish brown. I think it looks better when you use reddish brown for all (and easier and cheaper to get too 😉).

What is the idea for the look of your layout? A village with station European style or maybe Western style? Countryside? I'm really looking forward for more.......🚂🚋🚋👍

Thanks for your interest!

Yes, I'm aiming for 1820's - 1830's European - perhaps an English mining town? The build will be very green and I have a large flock of sheep that it would be fun to add to the display. There will also be some mountains in the background, so I could build out a mine there.

For the proto train, I think I'll add a Rocket-esque tender car and then an open-top wagon-like passenger car

RE: The woodprint ties, yes I think the 1x1 tiles would look better if they were also printed. There is a European train company that makes those, though I'd need a bunch of them. I do have a few hundred more 1x4 printed tiles coming in the mail (both med nougat and reddish brown) - also a bunch more 1x1 med nougat tiles to cap the ends of the sleepers. Once all of the sleepers are down, I plan to sprinkle a few hundred light / dark bley 1x1 round plates and tiles between them to add some more texture.

26 minutes ago, Vliebricker said:

And challenging to build it in MILS 😃👍.

The MILs will allow me to store it pretty easily and also bring it to LEGO / train shows with only a few boxes!

22 hours ago, evancelt said:

The MILs will allow me to store it pretty easily and also bring it to LEGO / train shows with only a few boxes!

That's certainly a fact. In LOWLUG (Netherlands) we also use the MILS standard for the train layouts at our meetings.

Picked up a 9v train setup on BL with DBG track! Planning to switch out the RC track for the metal track, which should allow me to motorize the train tender without making it huge to support a big RC battery box

Made a little progress last night on some MILS plates using big 8x16 and 10x20 bricks

2022-12-30_07.49.02.jpg

2022-12-30_07.49.07.jpg

2022-12-30_07.49.15.jpg

2022-12-30_07.49.27.jpg

2022-12-30_07.49.34.jpg

Nice work, Evancelt, thoserailway sleepers with woodprint tiles! Must have cost you a pretty penny! Or did 🎅🏻 bring you some extras this year.......🤪.

13 minutes ago, Vliebricker said:

Nice work, Evancelt, thoserailway sleepers with woodprint tiles! Must have cost you a pretty penny! Or did 🎅🏻 bring you some extras this year.......🤪.

I quickly realized it would be cost-prohibitive to use real TLG printed tiles for the sleepers, so these are Chinese-made ones - you can see the 'Made in China' bag in one of those pics above! Also using knockoff baseplates underneath as those will be completely covered up and it seemed like a waste of a "good" baseplate. Keeping the rest of the pieces for this build official TLG.

Hoping to finish up this tunnel entrance this evening

2D379225-21C2-42C2-A0A8-5D959E0846F8.jpg

Worked on a building for the layout yesterday, with a moving dog playing fetch

Some more progress - finished the loop and started on the first tier of mountains

CDD75745-996D-433F-8DE6-CD55C8390746.jpg

708787B8-AE5E-45CD-A542-450CDC32FC8A.jpg

Nice rocky environment, Evancelt, and nice vegetation too. Especially the vine with the leaves. But.......please explain how a Thomas the Train got lost in a historical traintrack..... 😂😂🤪🤔.

On 3/17/2023 at 12:43 PM, Vliebricker said:

Nice rocky environment, Evancelt, and nice vegetation too. Especially the vine with the leaves. But.......please explain how a Thomas the Train got lost in a historical traintrack..... 😂😂🤪🤔.

:pir-grin: This is the WIP proto train I'm working on

49EBFBC1-308C-4099-B989-A6AE52580A0C.jpg