Veynom

[MOC+MOD] Scythe Transport: 2 of them

Here is a 2-in-1 topic with 2 variant of the Scythe transport shuttle, aka the Inquisitor shuttle as seen in the Obi-Wan TV show on Disney+.

52404560450_ccb25aca3d_c.jpg
Scythe Transport side-by-side by Veynom, on Flickr

On the left, the MOC designed by  Pixel_Dan available on Rebrickable. On the right, my recolored version of the original set (#75336) using 2 shades of grey. 

52403617887_6956d0676e_c.jpg
Scythe Transport comparison by Veynom, on Flickr

What can I say about these 2 models?

Like many of us, I've purchased the official set mainly for the minifigs, and not so for the spaceship. While I really liked it in the TV show, I did not like that much the Lego version of it, despites the globally positive reviews and feedback found on the internet, particularly regarding the build experience and the large interior. 

So I decided to start by building the Pixel_Dan model which I liked better for its proportions and size.

52392025996_a9a4ee5ee4_c.jpg
Imperial Inquisitor Scythe Transport by Veynom, on Flickr

Ultimately, it is a compact and solid model but it has only room for 1 pilot inside. However, it has a retractable landing gear, which the official model has not.

52392026351_d29e75737a_c.jpg

Pure lines, nice design, nice-looking shape, both when landed on in flight mode, clearly an attractive model. The build experience is cool as well, particularly for the forward part. The studless wings add a good plus to the global impression.

52392339744_57a7fc3bd5_c.jpg

52392270953_ee22e80d10_c.jpg

The main issue with the model is the landing gear. It fits perfectly inside and is easy to extract but it has a tendancy to close back when grounding the ship. The trick is to slightly turn the rear landing skis to prevent them to fold back in when grounding the ship. Minor issue but....still an issue.

On the other side, the "2 shades of grey" counter part is clearly less sexy. (Well, I think.)

52404125531_1b77d3be6c_c.jpg
Scythe Transport by Veynom, on Flickr

As I only used black parts from the set to build the first Scythe transport, I was left with most of the parts of the official set. So I tried to use my own stock of grey to build a recolored version, thinking it could be "cool". Seeing the result, "cool" is not exactly the first word coming to my mind. Not liking the result, I will mostly likely dismantle it and send the parts back to the bulk.

52404126251_2d807aff54_c.jpg
Scythe Transport by Veynom, on Flickr

Still, when landing with folded wings, it is still OK-ish. But when in flight position, I really can't like it. Is it due to the original model shape ? Is it due to my recoloring? I'm still unsure but as there can be only one, I believe my choice is done and a fate is settled.

What about you? Which version do you prefer? The 3rd option is still the original set, of course.

Edited by Veynom
Typo

7 hours ago, Veynom said:

On the other side, the "2 shades of grey" counter part is clearly less sexy. (Well, I think.)

I kinda dig tbh. It looks like a version of it living in the sequel era, repurposed by some scoundrel. Maybe I prefer that version even.

Edited by khatmorg

Yeah, maybe the grey version looks not as cool as the black version, but it looks more interesting. Nice mod!

The grey one does have a certain charm to it I think. If you threw in some light weathering and greebles, that could quite easily be converted to a 'what-if-the-rebellion-got-hold-of-one' idea.

Frankly, I don't really like the recolour. I appreciate the attempt, but Light Bluish Grey and Dark Bluish Gray don't look well on the Scythe alone. I'd consider adding some real colour to it, like red or blue, make it so that DBG appears where the red paint peeled off. Without this extra touch of colour it just looks off to me.