JohnsLegos

Running a Lego train on a different track style

I have the 60197 set and noticed the trucks on the engine are somewhat close to "O" scale track. I was wondering if the Lego train could run on a metal track without doing any damage especially to the flanges. Any thoughts on this?

well if you look at the lego 9v system they used to run on metal track (and still do atleast for me, megabluck batteries). you are going to be fine.

4 hours ago, XG BC said:

lego 9v system they used to run on metal track

they have metal flanges...

9 hours ago, JohnsLegos said:

I have the 60197 set and noticed the trucks on the engine are somewhat close to "O" scale track. I was wondering if the Lego train could run on a metal track without doing any damage especially to the flanges. Any thoughts on this?

If you do some seaching here there are a few folks who have setup LEGO trains to run on O-gauge track. 

1 hour ago, Lok24 said:

they have metal flanges...

Only on the motors. 

58 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Sven J, is one of those, that has built for O-gauge.

He builds for Gauge 1 or G-guage which is wider than LEGO track. O-guage is narrower than LEGO track. 

Yes, it is possible to do lego trains on o-gauge track, but it takes a lot of determination. Here's my story. You have to lose 5 mm to fit the o-gauge track, that is almost an entire stud, which makes many things difficult: propulsion, wheels, etc.. Roller bearings help A LOT, but require custom length axles. There are a couple of different types of o-gauge track, the "I" rail is great, the rounded rail adds further hassles for curves (o-gauge wheels have wide treads, lego train wheels have narrow treads). Probably easier to take normal o-gauge trucks and motors, then build lego on top of that.

On a side note, Marklin (HO) and LGB (G) sell cars with lego studs on them

Well, I took the Lego train to where I wanted to test it out BUT the track is 3 rail "O" and it didn't seem to sta on the track. One of the members of the club I belong to mentioned that it might run on a 2 rail "O" (which apparently has a different dimension rail to rail).