ForgedInLego

[MOC] Republic Dropship for the 2013 and 2022 AT-TEs

Completely redesigned my Republic Dropship MOC to copy the UCS Gunship style at a smaller scale while also improving the functionality of the pick up / drop off function and allowing it to be compatible with the new AT-TE as well as the 2013 one. While I am not allergic to studs, I feel like it would be better with less, but those wedge plates are incredibly important to the structure while still allowing the full gun barrel to face forward on the AT-TE (even on the longer 2022 version). Dropping off or picking up the AT-TE is an incredibly simple process, you just push the button to open the jaws, then release once the dropship is in place. 

Instructions are available here

Full in depth video is here

20221216_164658 (1)20221216_16464120221216_164551 (1)20221216_164532 (1)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                     Original Post              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally got the 2022 AT-TE, and I thought this was a good time to update my Republic Dropship MOC! The mechanism only needed 6 more parts to make it compatible with both tanks, and it works well as you can see in the video. 

While it is great that it can do 4 drop offs and 3 pick ups in 45 seconds, it could be better. On the 2013 version it sometimes catches on the body panels and moves them out of place, and neither tank can hold a gunner while the tank is picked up. The mechanism, which works by grabbing the structural liftarms near the center legs uses an old and expensive spring that I just happened to have in my collection, but I want other people to be able to build the model without too much trouble as well. Also, lets face it, its not the prettiest Lego model with all its exposed studs.

20220825_210425

I have an idea about how to improve the mechanism, but feel free to leave any suggestion in the replies!

20220825_210517

And here is the new style of body I'm going to use. Its mostly modeled after the UCS gunship, just at a much smaller scale. I might try to build a regular gunship in the same style in the future, but I would need to make a couple Bricklink orders, which I usually don't do for my MOCs

Edited by ForgedInLego

Made some more progress, and I am happy with the redesigned mechanism, but the front heavy AT-TE is leaning forward a bit more than I would like it to when it is picked up. I'll keep trying new ways to keep it level while also reducing any unnecessary connections between the vehicles, but again, any suggestions are welcome!

20220904_135846

Is there a way to lock it in further? Because aside from that, or changing where you lock it in, I think the only solutions involve altering that AT-TE to make it not so front-heavy.

You could try and put some sort of stay sticking out the back of the dropship, to essentially push the back of the AT-TE down and keep the front up. It might have to be fairly substantial depending on how much force is required, but it could be retractable, and it wouldn't require a connection to the walker.

It's not perfect, but I think it'll work

Screenshot 2022-09-07 092441

I used mostly @Mandalorianknight's suggestion and made the locks extend a little further into the walker so now they push on the 10 x 3 wedges on the back armor plate and brace themselves on the walker's central technic liftarms. The slop looks to be about 2 plates measured from the top of the turret (unless I got my geometry wrong), and it is about the same between the 2.

20220907_091024

@TeddytheSpoon's suggestion of having an extendable "kickstand" would have less slop, but it would still never be zero. I'd still count this as a connection though, anything coming from the dropship and touching the tank would. Having it extendable would also add another step in a process I'm trying to make as smooth and simple as possible, taking 1-2 seconds to pick up or drop off (yes, I timed it).

Otherwise progress is going smoothly, I was able to get rid of the spring used to automatically return the trigger to the forward position by using the weight of the "magnetic" clamps, the cockpit is all figured out, and I can finally start filling out the rear fuselage!

That's a marked improvement, I must admit I wasn't sure the extension would solve it to the extent it did. It's certainly less complex than my idea...!

On 8/26/2022 at 7:15 AM, ForgedInLego said:

Finally got the 2022 AT-TE, and I thought this was a good time to update my Republic Dropship MOC! The mechanism only needed 6 more parts to make it compatible with both tanks, and it works well as you can see in the video. 

While it is great that it can do 4 drop offs and 3 pick ups in 45 seconds, it could be better. On the 2013 version it sometimes catches on the body panels and moves them out of place, and neither tank can hold a gunner while the tank is picked up. The mechanism, which works by grabbing the structural liftarms near the center legs uses an old and expensive spring that I just happened to have in my collection, but I want other people to be able to build the model without too much trouble as well. Also, lets face it, its not the prettiest Lego model with all its exposed studs.

20220825_210425

I have an idea about how to improve the mechanism, but feel free to leave any suggestion in the replies!

20220825_210517

And here is the new style of body I'm going to use. Its mostly modeled after the UCS gunship, just at a much smaller scale. I might try to build a regular gunship in the same style in the future, but I would need to make a couple Bricklink orders, which I usually don't do for my MOCs

Spoiler

I love it. Our perspective of the various facets of who we are, such as our qualities, behaviors, and feelings, is a key component of self-awareness. Do you intend to write a paper on sales awareness as well? You do not, however, receive the ideal platform. This allows you to produce essays. To help you write an essay on this topic more quickly, I recommend you visit the website at https://www.topessaywriting.org/samples/self-awareness. Here, you may get essay samples on the topic of self-awareness.

I love it. 

Edited by WayneOwens

dropshipv2_2

Well, this single image took like 6 hours just to render on my potato computer, but I finished building the Studio model and I can get started on instructions! You can probably see the resemblance to the UCS Gunship a little more clearly now, but I'm curious how you all feel about the studs vs smooth and light grey vs white I have on the model. There are always going to be studs because of the wedge plates, so I decided to just run with it, and I think I'm happy with the result.

32 minutes ago, ForgedInLego said:

dropshipv2_2

Well, this single image took like 6 hours just to render on my potato computer, but I finished building the Studio model and I can get started on instructions! You can probably see the resemblance to the UCS Gunship a little more clearly now, but I'm curious how you all feel about the studs vs smooth and light grey vs white I have on the model. There are always going to be studs because of the wedge plates, so I decided to just run with it, and I think I'm happy with the result.

It looks great! I'd love to have one someday.

3 hours ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

It looks great! I'd love to have one someday.

Thanks! I usually prioritize function over form in my MOCs, but I had to make very few compromises on this one (although the handle and trigger stick out a bit further than I would like)

This looks fantastic! Any ballpark on how much Bricklinking the pieces would cost? This would be a perfect complement to the new AT-TE! 

7 hours ago, Willsy said:

This looks fantastic! Any ballpark on how much Bricklinking the pieces would cost? This would be a perfect complement to the new AT-TE! 

It is 1319 parts, I don't think many of them are too expensive, but Studio's price estimator is giving me weird numbers. I would guess around $200 after shipping from multiple sellers, but keep in mind that I have used Bricklink twice so far, buying exactly 3 parts other than minifigs.

It looks fantastic! Do you have any pics of its underside (don't have to be high quality renders, a screen from Studio would do)?

1 hour ago, Falcrum said:

It looks fantastic! Do you have any pics of its underside (don't have to be high quality renders, a screen from Studio would do)?

I'll do you one better and just post the real thing! (99% done, just a handful of pieces missing)

20221003_17413520221003_17430520221003_174312

Not sure what you expected to see on the underside other than the ugly side of plates, but here you go!

I will post better pics this weekend when I get my light and background set up for my YouTube video

Also instructions are here! https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-124928/ForgedInLego/republic-dropship-v2-works-with-both-2013-and-2022-at-tes/#details