MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Looks good, I thought it looked a bit chunky but comparing to the movie model reveals it’s actually more accurate than most play models emulate 

7 minutes ago, Duke27 said:

New x-wing looks like very large playscale version of 50$ x wing, I mean it doesn’t look like UCS at all.

I agree, especially the nose and forward fuselage look 'flat'. Especially if you consider the complex angles a lot of MOCs manage to achieve at Minifigure scale. 

The white nose looks ridiculous. As does R2. Honestly this is a pretty brutal build for a UCS set.

Lego has gaslit millions of children into thinking Obi-Wan is a redhead and OT X-Wings are white.

6 minutes ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

The white nose looks ridiculous. As does R2. Honestly this is a pretty brutal build for a UCS set.

The white nose is absolutely more accurate than a grey nose. Look at the films. Hell, look at any non-lego prop.

here’s a good reference: https://nerdist.com/article/star-wars-a-new-hope-original-x-wing-prop-sells-for-2-3-million/?amp

Edited by Flawless Cowboy

3 minutes ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

The white nose is absolutely more accurate than a grey nose. Look at the films. Hell, look at any non-lego prop.

The entire X-Wing is grey. Having a white nose just makes the colour difference more pronounced. 
(To be fair, I was also originally looking at the establishing shot added in the Special Editions, where the noses are a bit darker than the rest of the body. Although in the trench they do appear to be the same shade of grey as the rest of the body.)

2 minutes ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

The entire X-Wing is grey. Having a white nose just makes the colour difference more pronounced. 
(To be fair, I was also originally looking at the establishing shot added in the Special Editions, where the noses are a bit darker than the rest of the body. Although in the trench they do appear to be the same shade of grey as the rest of the body.)

It’s a weathered off-white that would look far worse (and boring in a universe where grey dominates) if done in blueish-grey brick, which has the opposite issue of being TOO dark in this scenario. 

Edited by Flawless Cowboy

1 minute ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

It’s a weathered off-white that would look far worse (and boring in a universe where grey dominates) if done in blueish-grey brick, which has the opposite issue of being TOO dark in this scenario. 

Light bluish grey is far closer to the actual colour, and more visually interesting than white IMO. There’s lots of great MOCs out there using that colour scheme, and if it’s combined with the dark tan, dark red, and maybe a little bit of dark bluish grey or sand blue pieces it can look good. If we were talking about a ship that’s supposed to be polished, like an ARC-170 or a Republic Y-Wing I might be inclined to agree about the white, but the rebel X-Wings are supposed to look beat up and dirty.

Granted I never buy oversized UCS sets anyways, so this was never something I was going to be interested in.

So I know the Luke Fig had leaked a while ago and I really like what they did for the figure but the last time they did a major update to the rebel uniform I bout enough X-Wing Microfighters to give all the pilots the new suit. Please for the love of CC Boba Fett, someone talk me out of purchasing 10 of this Luke figure!!!

(Wouldn't it be amazing if they put a few pilots with the new suit in the Yavin base)

As far as the actual X-Wing, I'm not going to judge it on a pic from one angle. I usually only buy minifig scale UCS sets or big capital ships, but I got the TIE on super clearance so I may get this to display with it. Also regarding the color I know it's been two decades but man I wish very light gray had survived. any X-wing would benefit sooooo much from it.

Edited by Archer

Just now, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

Light bluish grey is far closer to the actual colour, and more visually interesting than white IMO. There’s lots of great MOCs out there using that colour scheme, and if it’s combined with the dark tan, dark red, and maybe a little bit of dark bluish grey or sand blue pieces it can look good. If we were talking about a ship that’s supposed to be polished, like an ARC-170 or a Republic Y-Wing I might be inclined to agree about the white, but the rebel X-Wings are supposed to look beat up and dirty.

Granted I never buy oversized UCS sets anyways, so this was never something I was going to be interested in.

Not sure how more grey in the SW universe could possibly be more interesting :laugh_hard:

Anyways, I do think LBG is too dark, which is also why Lego has never done a grey x wing after their first attempt in 99

dang, i know we aren't taking about this rn, but i don't see that 100$ ahsoka set selling well if its just random new republic people with builds that arent iconic.

6 minutes ago, Goofster said:

dang, i know we aren't taking about this rn, but i don't see that 100$ ahsoka set selling well if its just random new republic people with builds that arent iconic.

Yeah i agree. i wouldn't count Zeb out given that detail.

Surely it won't be as boring as it has been described thus far. That $100 slot is a big chance for lego to strike gold and this would be a complete waste without some cooler tie in.

2 hours ago, The Stud said:

I don't remember if this has been answered yet, but what rebel pilots are coming with Yavin IV? I'm still missing a Wedge and am hoping he comes here. 

2-3 pilots of unconfirmed identity, however we know one of them will be from Gold Squadron because of the included midi Y-Wing. If we get 3, my prediction is Evaan Verlaine (she was in Rogue One and canonically flew with Gold Squadron in the Battle of Yavin, plus she adds another girl to the set), Red Leader Garven Dreis (memorable character we've never gotten before, has a scene in the base) and then either Wedge or Biggs.

1 minute ago, Goofster said:

I think I agree that at the end of the day it won't sell well, but I for one love any set that gives us more background characters. I would like more rebel pilots not named Luke, Wedge, Dack, and Jon "Dutch" Vander, more of the population of Jabba and Maz's Palaces, more imperial officers, etc.

14 minutes ago, Archer said:

(Wouldn't it be amazing if they put a few pilots with the new suit in the Yavin base)

I mean, looking at how LEGO did C-3PO between the UCS Landspeeder and the diorama, I could see LEGO making the arm printing standard among rebel pilots starting with Yavin and keeping the double-molded legs exclusive to the X-wing (which I wouldn't mind because I don't love how they look).

1 minute ago, Archer said:

I think I agree that at the end of the day it won't sell well, but I for one love any set that gives us more background characters. I would like more rebel pilots not named Luke, Wedge, Dack, and Jon "Dutch" Vander, more of the population of Jabba and Maz's Palaces, more imperial officers, etc.

Thats why a MBS Jabbas Palace is like one of my most wanted sets. Imagine all the cool characters we could get - a full Max Rebo band for example!

7 minutes ago, Old Master said:

Thats why a MBS Jabbas Palace is like one of my most wanted sets. Imagine all the cool characters we could get - a full Max Rebo band for example!

We’re getting an MBS sail barge next year

the engines on the UCS x-wing look a bit oversized to me. Maybe a poor screen-capture method was used and the proportions were distorted or maybe it's just a weird angle - need to see the official pics 

17 minutes ago, Goofster said:

I think it is folly to judge the st before (A)We've seen it and (B) we've seen the show it's based on. Like if we'd seen the set but the show (or vice versa) then okay but seeing neither I think it's a bit soon to write it off. The 'random new republic people ' might be important characters for all we know. I would like it if Carson Teva got a fig soon but was he ruled out for this set? I can't recall, hopefully Zeb is here too but was he not also ruled out?

If the leak for this one was just from a part inventory (idk if it was it's not clear) maybe the 2 ships could be a U-wing (75-80/100) and an A-wing (25-30/100) that'd be cool. Though with Quarrie in the other set maybe there's a v-wing involved? Or maybe it's all new ships.

It’s strange it says ‘various’ brickheadz on the Star Wars.com article. I wonder if there’s more? 

27 minutes ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Really want to see more X-Wing pictures. The first one is okay, but need more. Ideally by the panel on April 8th. 

At second glance, I think perhaps the S-foils are angled a little too far apart, which is an easy fix. And I agree, this isn't a full picture and it's also just one angle. I need to see more before giving it a fair assessment. 

1 hour ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

We’re getting an MBS sail barge next year

is it mbs or ucs tho? the leaked description is a bit of a headscratcher.

52 minutes ago, Lego-fire said:

It’s strange it says ‘various’ brickheadz on the Star Wars.com article. I wonder if there’s more? 

I think that’s just referring to the fact that it’s a multi-pack, and I guess they just didn’t want to list out all of the characters.

1 minute ago, Old Master said:

It’s not labeled yet, I’d imagine it would considered an MBS, or at least a set that accomplishes the same thing an MBS accomplishes because it has a high minifig count and it depicts a number of scenes with minifig-scale accuracy. The sail barge is a “ship” in the same way that the play set Death Star from 2016 is a “ship”.

As long as they throw in a sarlaac pit and skiff I’ll be happy. Also, the Cantina retires next year, so it would make sense to replace that set. 

6 minutes ago, Old Master said:

Ideally/hopefully a minifig-scale UCS  set with a bunch of minifigs. (Like the AT-AT, Razor Crest, or Falcon, but with more figures)