The 10305 Lion Knights' Castle is amazing.  It's also $400 plus tax.

The 31120 Medieval Castle is a great castle for $100 plus tax, but it doesn't have a lot of minifigs.

What if you want a really simple, classic castle? As an exercise, I built set 6073 Knight's Castle from 1984 in Studio using only parts currently available from Bricks and Pieces.  The result uses 670 parts, compared to the original 408, because the panels are brick-built, and it has no horses, and the minifigs are plain, but other than that it's a pretty close copy.  The render doesn't show the minifigs, shields, and weapons, but they're included in my Bricks and Pieces bag.  The total cost on Lego.com is $95.15 plus tax, plus whatever two horses and saddles cost from Bricklink or Bricks and Minifigs.

Genuine used copies of 6073 currently go for $175 on Bricklink in the USA, or $150-200 on eBay depending on the condition.

Will I go ahead and buy the parts? Almost certainly not.  The 31120 is a much better castle for $100 plus tax, except for the paucity of minifigs.  But it was an interesting exercise.

Maybe in a few days I'll see if Bricks and Pieces can yield up a decent light gray recolor of the Yellow Castle.  The horses won't be missing from that one ....

bricks and pieces castle 6073