Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars - Mission #10: Pins & Needles

The vault door opens revealing the group Enson had just noted after trying to teleport.

52230760393_d339539990.jpg

A well dressed Cladrasith stands accompanied by four well armed guards, her foliage resembling cherry blossoms. The heroes note an additional four thugs standing nervously at the exits from the main hall.

52231028859_0b276f1688_t.jpg
"Well, you lot have caused quite the stir in my schedule today. Destroyed my front entryway, killed the good doctor, ruined a trade deal with the Corvians, stolen priceless artifacts, and let loose dangerous beasts. I'm not quite sure what sort of treatment you expect, but I can say I'm willing to be reasonable. Do you take tea?"

13 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Well, you lot have caused quite the stir in my schedule today. Destroyed my front entryway, killed the good doctor, ruined a trade deal with the Corvians, stolen priceless artifacts, and let loose dangerous beasts. I'm not quite sure what sort of treatment you expect, but I can say I'm willing to be reasonable. Do you take tea?"

"Miss Archivist, I presume? Hello, I am Jonk. Tea would be great, I hear it is a type of plant juice. So sorry to hear your deal fell through, I'd say that makes us even for the inconveniences we went through. The standards in these place... The Landsquid was improperly contained and was able to get free. The weird magical horse thing, improperly contained and cared for with no regard for its natural herd instinct... As for the doctor... He's dead? That's new information... Good however, is not a word I'd use. Improper bedside manner, failure to uphold professional contact with their charges resulting in injury. Not to mention the state we found our quarry in.... Are we having tea here or do you have an office?"

"I will not be taking tea with you," Enson said, "I do not trust you not to poison it." He looked past the Cladrasith and towards her guards, his face expressionless. "We have no quarrel with you," he said to them, "you should leave while you still have your lives."

Enson will make a performance check to break down the guards' resolve and make them easier to intimidate.

Enson refocused his gaze on the Archivist. "There is no point in disseminating, we were hired to rescue this dwarf by his friend, and you attempted to assassinate us and them. Your chosen tools were a pair of changelings whose loyalty you were unable to maintain by honest means, so you chose to coerce them with a slow and insidious poison. Unable to save even one of them, we came here, where we found a 'laboratory' where torture was conducted under the excuse of scientific inquiry, evidence of drug-dealing, living creatures paralyzed in tiny chambers, a woman with her tongue cut out, and the person we came to save infected by a lethal disease which we were forced into drastic action to cure. I would accuse you of infecting him deliberately, if not for the fact that you have so many lives hoarded here that I doubt you can remember any of them."
His face twitched slightly, the only sign of emotion he had shown since he began speaking.
"In short," he continued, "You are a thief, kidnapper, murderer, slave-taker, seller of poisons, and employer of torturers. At least on a cursory examination. Perhaps a more thorough and methodical search will reveal new and exciting wrongdoings?" His eyes flashed. "Heaven and earth bear witness to your crimes, and we have been sent to bring judgement upon you."

Enson will meditate.

Aysu kept a tight smile. This was the loon in chief collecting rare things. She herself was probably on that list. 

On 7/21/2022 at 4:05 AM, Scubacarrot said:

"Miss Archivist, I presume? Hello, I am Jonk. Tea would be great, I hear it is a type of plant juice. So sorry to hear your deal fell through, I'd say that makes us even for the inconveniences we went through. The standards in these place... The Landsquid was improperly contained and was able to get free. The weird magical horse thing, improperly contained and cared for with no regard for its natural herd instinct... As for the doctor... He's dead? That's new information... Good however, is not a word I'd use. Improper bedside manner, failure to uphold professional contact with their charges resulting in injury. Not to mention the state we found our quarry in.... Are we having tea here or do you have an office?"

"Hello Jonk, you're a celestial are you not? Yes, I think you'll find the seating in my office more comfortable."

7 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Aysu kept a tight smile. This was the loon in chief collecting rare things. She herself was probably on that list. 

The Cladrasith spots Aysu and addresses her with a warm smile.
"Well and who and what might you be"

On 7/21/2022 at 11:07 AM, Duvors said:

"I will not be taking tea with you," Enson said, "I do not trust you not to poison it." He looked past the Cladrasith and towards her guards, his face expressionless. "We have no quarrel with you," he said to them, "you should leave while you still have your lives."

"Oh, you doubt my hospitality? Amusing... any quarrel with me is also with them, or do you doubt who pays their salary."

Enson will make a performance check to break down the guards' resolve and make them easier to intimidate.

Enson Performance Check vs. Archivist Persuasion Check - (4,4,1,2) 2 Successes vs. (6,6,2,3,4,2,3,2) 3 Successes

The guards adjust their weapons, but seem unfazed by Enson's tactics.

Enson refocused his gaze on the Archivist. "There is no point in disseminating, we were hired to rescue this dwarf by his friend, and you attempted to assassinate us and them. Your chosen tools were a pair of changelings whose loyalty you were unable to maintain by honest means, so you chose to coerce them with a slow and insidious poison. Unable to save even one of them, we came here, where we found a 'laboratory' where torture was conducted under the excuse of scientific inquiry, evidence of drug-dealing, living creatures paralyzed in tiny chambers, a woman with her tongue cut out, and the person we came to save infected by a lethal disease which we were forced into drastic action to cure. I would accuse you of infecting him deliberately, if not for the fact that you have so many lives hoarded here that I doubt you can remember any of them."
His face twitched slightly, the only sign of emotion he had shown since he began speaking.
"In short," he continued, "You are a thief, kidnapper, murderer, slave-taker, seller of poisons, and employer of torturers. At least on a cursory examination. Perhaps a more thorough and methodical search will reveal new and exciting wrongdoings?" His eyes flashed. "Heaven and earth bear witness to your crimes, and we have been sent to bring judgement upon you."

"Judgement you say? You wouldn't be the first. I won't argue with your conclusions, I came to accept who I am long ago. I am a woman of particular tastes and talents and the collection behind you is the testament to those skills. Talent recognizes talent however, which is why I'd prefer to discuss things instead of tossing you into a containment pod and throwing away the combination. Of course if you really want to try and enact your 'judgement' then I won't have much of a choice in the matter. So about the tea, shall I put a kettle on?"

Enson will meditate.

Enson Meditates to full spirit.

Jonk smiles disarmingly, as far as his face allows him to. "Office it is, I say. Can not wait to try tea. I hope it's nice. You alright, Aysu? " 

The celestial will whisper to Enson.

"Hey, I get that you want to get in there and start killing again, justice and all that but maybe I can lead some of them away towards their office and then you can get Jippo and Wolly out of here, to safety."

18 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Judgement you say? You wouldn't be the first. I won't argue with your conclusions, I came to accept who I am long ago. I am a woman of particular tastes and talents and the collection behind you is the testament to those skills. Talent recognizes talent however, which is why I'd prefer to discuss things instead of tossing you into a containment pod and throwing away the combination. Of course if you really want to try and enact your 'judgement' then I won't have much of a choice in the matter. So about the tea, shall I put a kettle on?"

"You may flatter yourself with pretentious of civility all you like. I have promised one of your victims that you will pay for your crimes, and that is the sole extent of my interest in you."

17 hours ago, Scubacarrot said:

"Hey, I get that you want to get in there and start killing again, justice and all that but maybe I can lead some of them away towards their office and then you can get Jippo and Wolly out of here, to safety."

Enson leaned toward his companion and whispered back. "The problem is that I doubt she'll leave us unguarded while you go off with her, and fighting our way out might jeopardize your safety. Besides, we did send for the hospital. If these thugs are on their feet and armed when the paramedics arrive..."
Enson looked at the Archivist again. He had to bite his lip to keep down his anger. He'd been furious ever since the changelings had died, and everything he'd found here had only made him angrier. It was foul, stinking with a reek that registered not in his nostrils but in his soul. He felt like he wanted to cut open that placid face, to see it contorted in the pain and fear that had been inflicted on so many here. He wanted...
Peace. You are a Qoun'ahn. Emotions mean nothing to you. You act on reason in the service of righteousness, not on anger for self-satisfaction.
He breathed in. He sought focus within himself, the memory of meditative trance. His face went slack and impassive. He breathed out.
"Only three of us are here from Heroica," he said, gesturing to Aysu and Jonk, "The rest have only their liberty to fight for. If you allow them to go free, I will agree to speak with you." He paused, his face hard and void of emotion. He continued, "You will not be able to continue using this place no matter the outcome, two people who know the location of this place have already left, and you have no more assassins."

Enson will spend 1 CP to gain a rank in persuasion and make a persuasion check.

22 hours ago, Scubacarrot said:

Jonk smiles disarmingly, as far as his face allows him to. "Office it is, I say. Can not wait to try tea. I hope it's nice. You alright, Aysu? " 

"After collecting for nearly a century, I can assure you it is of the highest quality."

4 hours ago, Duvors said:

"You may flatter yourself with pretentious of civility all you like. I have promised one of your victims that you will pay for your crimes, and that is the sole extent of my interest in you."

"Civility is but a tool, knowing when to employ it is the trick. As for paying for my crimes, exactly how much is that cost?"

4 hours ago, Duvors said:

He breathed in. He sought focus within himself, the memory of meditative trance. His face went slack and impassive. He breathed out.
"Only three of us are here from Heroica," he said, gesturing to Aysu and Jonk, "The rest have only their liberty to fight for. If you allow them to go free, I will agree to speak with you." He paused, his face hard and void of emotion. He continued, "You will not be able to continue using this place no matter the outcome, two people who know the location of this place have already left, and you have no more assassins."

Enson will spend 1 CP to gain a rank in persuasion and make a persuasion check.

"What makes you believe I have need of more assassins? Surely you don't believe this facility has existed for so long without ensuring that certain prying eyes are kept dutifully blinded. By rest you refer to the collection I assume?"

13 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Civility is but a tool, knowing when to employ it is the trick. As for paying for my crimes, exactly how much is that cost?"

"That is a question without a clear answer. 'Your life' is a possible one, but not necessarily the correct one."
Enson gestured behind himself. "When I say 'the rest', I am speaking of the individuals that have already been freed. The ones still in containment can be discussed later. It would be foolish to ask a price that high for so little."
He glanced in the direction of the exterior door, even though he was not able to see it. "When I say that this place will be of no further use to you, I mean it. You do not think the police, no matter how well bribed, can ignore a woman with a missing tongue, can you? And even if they are that corrupt, Heroica is not, and they will come looking for us if we disappear. As will... others. Your only hope to prevent the knowledge of this location from spreading would be to have attackers lying in wait for the people we've already sent away, and I doubt that is the case."
'All-in-all, it's just as well I didn't send for the police,' Enson thought, 'though I still hope someone at the hospital has the sense to contact some sort of authority.'

Enson will attempt an insight check on the Archivist to read her reactions and get a better feel for her character (to gain some sort of advantage on later rolls).

"I find that philosophical differences are usually best sorted out over drinks. Maybe snacks, if available."

The usually affable Jonk turns to Enson and says sharply.

"I really want to try tea, Enson, Ive lived for cycles on Corpo Synthwater, the worst, and you can not mess this up for me."

6 hours ago, Scubacarrot said:

"I really want to try tea, Enson, Ive lived for cycles on Corpo Synthwater, the worst, and you can not mess this up for me."

Enson looked at Jonk, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Very well," he said quietly, "just let me try and get the... 'civilians' safely out of here first. Then I promise you I'll get you your tea. Okay?"

On 7/24/2022 at 1:57 PM, Duvors said:

"That is a question without a clear answer. 'Your life' is a possible one, but not necessarily the correct one."
Enson gestured behind himself. "When I say 'the rest', I am speaking of the individuals that have already been freed. The ones still in containment can be discussed later. It would be foolish to ask a price that high for so little."

"Ah, I see."

Enson Persuasion vs. Archivist Persuasion - (5,3,5,4) 3 Success vs. (4,4,1,6,1,2,3,2) 3 Successes

"A Menahi, Dwarf, and Ornithun, hardly rare gems in the collection. I trust the Dwarf learned his lesson. Very well, they may go."

On 7/24/2022 at 1:57 PM, Duvors said:

He glanced in the direction of the exterior door, even though he was not able to see it. "When I say that this place will be of no further use to you, I mean it. You do not think the police, no matter how well bribed, can ignore a woman with a missing tongue, can you? And even if they are that corrupt, Heroica is not, and they will come looking for us if we disappear. As will... others. Your only hope to prevent the knowledge of this location from spreading would be to have attackers lying in wait for the people we've already sent away, and I doubt that is the case."

Enson will attempt an insight check on the Archivist to read her reactions and get a better feel for her character (to gain some sort of advantage on later rolls).

"If they ignored her disappearance in the first place, I doubt they'll make note of her reappearing... As for your organization. I hear it's not quite what it was, down on hard times so I've heard. Struggling to maintain memberships. Would be surprised if someone didn't offer to buy it out sooner or later for the real estate."

Enson Insight Check (DC 3) - (6,3,1,2) 1 Success

If the Cladrasith was bluffing, her face certainly didn't show it. The lines and creases of the elderly Archivist betrayed little of her emotions.

On 7/24/2022 at 4:12 PM, Scubacarrot said:

"I find that philosophical differences are usually best sorted out over drinks. Maybe snacks, if available."

"Of course. Now, shall we?"

Enson nodded briefly, and about-faced to look at Rix and Wollypog. Stepping toward them, he looked them in the eye and said, "I know you wanted to come with us, to help in the fight, but right now those two need your protection. I need you to make sure they're safe." Then, in a low, rapid whisper he added "and then come back and raise hell."
He patted the two of them on the shoulders (or tried to, in Wolly's case) before turning back to the Archivist and stepping forward again. He hope that having his back to her had been enough to hide what he'd just done.

15 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"If they ignored her disappearance in the first place, I doubt they'll make note of her reappearing... As for your organization. I hear it's not quite what it was, down on hard times so I've heard. Struggling to maintain memberships. Would be surprised if someone didn't offer to buy it out sooner or later for the real estate."

'If you're trying to make me angry it's a bit too late, we've already passed that point.'
Enson coughed, then spoke aloud, "I think, considering what has happened today, that the current resources of the organization would be more than sufficient to decimate this place. And like I said, you have other enemies to worry about." Enson smiled blankly. "You do not think that you can take what you please and not garner some resentment, do you?" He gestured towards her office. "But I think we can discuss that elsewhere, lead on."

On 7/26/2022 at 3:15 PM, Duvors said:

Enson nodded briefly, and about-faced to look at Rix and Wollypog. Stepping toward them, he looked them in the eye and said, "I know you wanted to come with us, to help in the fight, but right now those two need your protection. I need you to make sure they're safe." Then, in a low, rapid whisper he added "and then come back and raise hell."
He patted the two of them on the shoulders (or tried to, in Wolly's case) before turning back to the Archivist and stepping forward again. He hope that having his back to her had been enough to hide what he'd just done.

51966282654_7d5465e013_t.jpg
<You can count on us.>

On 7/26/2022 at 3:15 PM, Duvors said:

'If you're trying to make me angry it's a bit too late, we've already passed that point.'
Enson coughed, then spoke aloud, "I think, considering what has happened today, that the current resources of the organization would be more than sufficient to decimate this place. And like I said, you have other enemies to worry about." Enson smiled blankly. "You do not think that you can take what you please and not garner some resentment, do you?" He gestured towards her office. "But I think we can discuss that elsewhere, lead on."

"It's a big universe. Lots of things go missing. Lots of things require hiding. Lots of things require storage. But we'll discuss that... come."

The Archivist and her guards lead the group through the main hall and to the door that the heroes had previously found locked. Inside sits a rather large conference room, several comfy chairs and an oversized table fill the space with a number of display cases lining the walls. The archivist pours a cup of tea from a newly placed kettle and begins to sip it before pouring a cup for Jonk.

52246430821_6c45625ea2_b.jpg

"How do you take your tea, Mr. Jonk? The rest of you? It's a fine leaf. Exceedingly rare Oquim Oolong."

3 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"How do you take your tea, Mr. Jonk? The rest of you? It's a fine leaf. Exceedingly rare Oquim Oolong."

Jonk will sit down to the Archivist's left. "Mister Jonk, I do like the sound of that. How would you recommend? I'll follow your lead, black, I suppose the phrase is. It smells wonderful."

The celestial will take a small sip.

Enson stood at the end of the table, directly across from the Archivist. He had no intention of sitting with his back to the guards.
"Nothing for me, thank you."
'I will not break bread in the house of my enemies.'
"I'm curious," he continued, glancing about the room, "from what you have said you intend to make us some offer, or to strike a deal." He locked eyes with her. "That is a very strange tack to take with someone who's first act upon meeting was to denounce you."

Aysu was at a loss, this place was dangerous and one teammate was going for friendly while the other was certainly up for burning it all down. "In the belly of the beast, you have to cut your way out." she muttered to herself. 

"Not a real tea drinker thank you. More of a coffee drinker." Aysu still had manners, even if this whole place was freaking her out.

On 7/28/2022 at 3:33 AM, Scubacarrot said:

Jonk will sit down to the Archivist's left. "Mister Jonk, I do like the sound of that. How would you recommend? I'll follow your lead, black, I suppose the phrase is. It smells wonderful."

The celestial will take a small sip.

"Milk and sugar of course." The Cladrasith adjust Jonk's tea and passes him the cup. As the celestial sips the hot beverage he notes a warmer tone and an aroma that includes cinnamon, cocoa, and dried apricots.

17 hours ago, Duvors said:

Enson stood at the end of the table, directly across from the Archivist. He had no intention of sitting with his back to the guards.
"Nothing for me, thank you."
'I will not break bread in the house of my enemies.'
"I'm curious," he continued, glancing about the room, "from what you have said you intend to make us some offer, or to strike a deal." He locked eyes with her. "That is a very strange tack to take with someone who's first act upon meeting was to denounce you."

"In my many years, I've learned to overlook people's first knee-jerk reactions and found most disagreements are better handled with diplomacy over violence." The Archivist takes a sip from her tea, "As for an offer, as I said, I recognize talent, and your group has been most efficient in working your way through my facility. You were sent here to complete a job and from my understanding that is now complete. The simplest offer would be to let you leave here alive. However, considering some of you may harbor certain qualms, I'm sure we could come to a certain material recompense as a show of appreciation for discretion."

7 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Aysu was at a loss, this place was dangerous and one teammate was going for friendly while the other was certainly up for burning it all down. "In the belly of the beast, you have to cut your way out." she muttered to herself. 

"Not a real tea drinker thank you. More of a coffee drinker." Aysu still had manners, even if this whole place was freaking her out.

"Interesting, is that a trait of your kind or simply a matter of preference?"

"Yeah, it's alright, thanks" Jonk doesn't let shine that he liked it better without milk and sugar. "Material recompense sounds good, what are you thinking?"

Jonk glances towards the guards to see what they are doing.

"I do not value money." Enson said with a wave of his hand. "I am curious about the resources at your disposal though. I noticed that you have a number of metaphysical creatures contained here, I am curious about how you captured and contained them."

On 7/29/2022 at 2:18 PM, Scubacarrot said:

"Yeah, it's alright, thanks" Jonk doesn't let shine that he liked it better without milk and sugar. "Material recompense sounds good, what are you thinking?"

Jonk glances towards the guards to see what they are doing.

"Well, perhaps you'd like to share what you were getting paid to break in here in the first place?"

Jonk Perception Check (DC 1,3) - (5,3,5) 2 Successes

The guards shuffle from foot to foot, equally assessing the threat of the heroes given how many of their fellow employees were already dead.

On 7/29/2022 at 2:30 PM, Duvors said:

"I do not value money." Enson said with a wave of his hand. "I am curious about the resources at your disposal though. I noticed that you have a number of metaphysical creatures contained here, I am curious about how you captured and contained them."

"Of course you don't. The Quo'ri are rarely ones to hoard wealth. That part of the collection was donated from a sect of the Thaumaturgic Society, most of the containment units are spell powered. You have to understand, while this is a collection, there is a good amount that others would have preferred destroyed than preserved. Remnants of civilizations, lost species, artifacts from bygone ages. You only breached the Western Vault, where the living specimens are stored. The Eastern Vault houses the true valuables of the collection. Substances from around the galaxy. Examples of all artistry and creativity from across the millennia. Tell me, what excites you? What mysteries still puzzle you?"

4 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Well, perhaps you'd like to share what you were getting paid to break in here in the first place?"

"700 credits, each, weapons, upgrades, and the promise of future work. And I suppose a sense of moral wellbeing for rescuing someone that was napped, I suppose."

12 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Of course you don't. The Quo'ri are rarely ones to hoard wealth. That part of the collection was donated from a sect of the Thaumaturgic Society, most of the containment units are spell powered. You have to understand, while this is a collection, there is a good amount that others would have preferred destroyed than preserved. Remnants of civilizations, lost species, artifacts from bygone ages. You only breached the Western Vault, where the living specimens are stored. The Eastern Vault houses the true valuables of the collection. Substances from around the galaxy. Examples of all artistry and creativity from across the millennia. Tell me, what excites you? What mysteries still puzzle you?"

Enson looked pensive. "I... cannot say. My younger self might have said 'everything, all of them', but that part of me is dead. All my pleasures are simple and my goals immediate." He locked eyes with his interlocutor. "Save perhaps one, but that can wait."
"Tell me," he continued, moving down the right side of the table before stopping halfway down its length, "what do you think would interest me? What knowledge do you have to offer? Please, pique my interest."

On 7/31/2022 at 4:40 AM, Scubacarrot said:

"700 credits, each, weapons, upgrades, and the promise of future work. And I suppose a sense of moral wellbeing for rescuing someone that was napped, I suppose."

Jonk Deception Check vs. Achivist Insight Check - (3,1,1) 0 Success vs. (6,2,1,2,1,6) 2 Successes

"Hmm... An outfit like yours could hardly demand such a high fee. No, I'd say somewhere along the line of 150 credits, some sort of treasure or artifact, and of course business contacts would be satisfactory."

On 7/31/2022 at 12:35 PM, Duvors said:

Enson looked pensive. "I... cannot say. My younger self might have said 'everything, all of them', but that part of me is dead. All my pleasures are simple and my goals immediate." He locked eyes with his interlocutor. "Save perhaps one, but that can wait."
"Tell me," he continued, moving down the right side of the table before stopping halfway down its length, "what do you think would interest me? What knowledge do you have to offer? Please, pique my interest."

MM Note: You're going to make me do the hard work. :tongue: :laugh:

"The Quo'ri value both beauty and tradition. Perhaps you would care for a sapling of the Alurien Moon Oak, a species of plant known only to the world before the annihilation of the planet. The songs of generations of the fair folk grew these trees into the first of their living starcraft. Sonicsomatic in nature, the plant is shaped to the will of the musician who imparts meaning to it." The Cladrasith sips in thought, "Or maybe you are more concerned with something of more historical value? A lost chapter of the 'Book of the Sky' written by the wife of Ar’Kon’il and detailing the steps required for her lover's return. Of course there is always those who wish to know more about Gate Builders. In which case, perhaps a miniturized Æthergate would be of interest?"

"The sapling sounds... beautiful, but I could not accept responsibility for such a thing. I have no interest in religious apocrypha, and the gate seems of limited usefulness." He leaned forward, taking another step towards the archivist. "Let me get down to brass tacks, as they say. What are the limits of the resources you have at your disposal? Could you, for instance, fund a planetary rebellion?"