Sign in to follow this  
Feuer Zug

DB DDm 915 class Autotransportwagen - 6 wide

Did you know, the first journey most cars make after the production line is by train? It's true. About 65% do. And many people completely disregard the common autorack. Yes, it's not a glamorous car, but it's vital to our automotive society.

The Deutsche Bahn DDm 915 class Doppelstock-Autotransportwagen are used for transporting cars from automobile factories to the dealers for sale. They were additionally used to carry cars on long-distance overnight trains. First built in 1969, these dual level cars carry from 8 to 10 vehicles. The upper level is fixed in height. I've taken considerable liberties in the creation of these due to constraints from building in LEGO to accommodate R40 curves and keeping it 6-wide. The center support is missing, along with the railings. Still, I believe they capture the essence of the wagen for use on my rails, especially behind my DB 185 class locomotive.

51808670291_d1b2a0e4bb_c.jpg

Loading an empty DDm 915 from a ramp. Note the ends of the car fold down to create a continuous driving surface to load multiple autotransportwagens from one ramp. These would normally be on both levels, but were only implemented on the top level due to the bogies.

51808788053_48bf2a3038_c.jpg

Here is a picture I took of a DDm 915 at the DB Museum Koblenz in 2018.

51807716922_9836a129c4_c.jpg

Here is a stand alone picture of the loading ramp. The upper ramp section is hinged to allow loading of both levels.

51808669956_410e3f3778_c.jpg

Superb project! :thumbup:

The DDm 915 is very well done, and (wow) 6 studs wide is incredibile! :wub:

I also like the loading ramp and the azure car.

The locomotive is perfect for this kind of rolling stock!  

looks very nice and i find it nice that you built it in 6-wide. 8- wide is basically cheating tbh atleast in my opinion.

Very, very, VERY nice!!! These wagons are a good example of how simple solutions (small brackets parts) can achieve a good visual effect and perfect functionality! 

There's a bit of 7777 in these wagons, and I like them a lot!!! :thumbup: :pir-love:

On 1/9/2022 at 12:26 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Superb project! :thumbup:

The DDm 915 is very well done, and (wow) 6 studs wide is incredibile! :wub:

I also like the loading ramp and the azure car.

The locomotive is perfect for this kind of rolling stock!  

Thank you. The azure car is from an older city set, but works well with the DDm 915. The locomotive does fit well.

21 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Very nicely done, you captured both the essence and functionality with this excellent build.

Thanks.

19 hours ago, XG BC said:

looks very nice and i find it nice that you built it in 6-wide. 8- wide is basically cheating tbh atleast in my opinion.

Thank you. Most of my work is 6-wide. It might not be as close to real at 8-wide, but I like what I come up with.

1 hour ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Very, very, VERY nice!!! These wagons are a good example of how simple solutions (small brackets parts) can achieve a good visual effect and perfect functionality! 

There's a bit of 7777 in these wagons, and I like them a lot!!! :thumbup: :pir-love:

Thanks. The new 1 stud wide brackets are opening up new and interesting options.

Very nice well built cars!:thumbup:

The DDm915 were exclusively for carrying cars on long-distance overnight trains. They run on passenger bogies (Minden-Deutz bogies) and are equipped like passenger cars.

For transporting factory new cars on freight trains Lae class freight cars ( Lae, Laes, Laeks, Laekks) are used.

Conclusion: you need a matching sleeper! :wink:

16 hours ago, Brickwolf said:

Very nice well built cars!:thumbup:

The DDm915 were exclusively for carrying cars on long-distance overnight trains. They run on passenger bogies (Minden-Deutz bogies) and are equipped like passenger cars.

For transporting factory new cars on freight trains Lae class freight cars ( Lae, Laes, Laeks, Laekks) are used.

Conclusion: you need a matching sleeper! :wink:

Thank you. From the information I found, yes, most DDm 915s were used for long-distance, overnight runs. The Minden-Deutz bogies allowed them to run at 160kph. When I did my research, I found a few pictures from the 1970s where a number of them were used to transport cars from the manufacturers. Were excess cars being put to use during the tourist off season, maybe?

I tried building a LAAEKS 553 at first, but the middle bogie wasn't happening with the R40 clearances.

Maybe someday I'll contemplate a proper night train. I built these to add a little variety to my rolling stock.