SaperPL

[MOC] JCB Fastrac with Rotary Rake and Tipper Trailer [Free Instructions]

4 minutes ago, TangersTechnic said:

These are really amazing, such a high level of detail.

Thanks! Try to build them or my other MOCs from my free instructions on rebrickable if you have the bricks :)

Just now, TechnicWeirdo said:

Im really bad at making mocs.

You just need a goal and some practice, but feel free to check out the rest of my free instructions :)

4 hours ago, SaperPL said:

Comparison with the John Deere set:

Nice comparison, really cool that your creation is getting more attention in this way!

On 4/6/2022 at 9:30 AM, SaperPL said:

You just need a goal and some practice, but feel free to check out the rest of my free instructions :)

Yes i know but maybe its because i don't have the right pieces

I always have a goal in mind and then i start building and either of two things happen, 

#1 It turns out much different and (often) worse than what i had in mind, or,

#2 It does not work out and i don't have enough pieces or the correct pieces

Its kinda frustrating

13 minutes ago, TechnicWeirdo said:

Yes i know but maybe its because i don't have the right pieces

I always have a goal in mind and then i start building and either of two things happen, 

#1 It turns out much different and (often) worse than what i had in mind, or,

#2 It does not work out and i don't have enough pieces or the correct pieces

Its kinda frustrating

Not sure if you've got money to spend on specific bricks, but my approach is like this: I prototype the mechanical part first iterating between studio and physical model and when it starts to work I start to figure out the looks in studio to know which parts I need to get. It's still more expensive than buying sets, but you're getting exact parts that you need. It's an expensive hobby, but this approach to design works for me. You just need to learn to use virtual design, otherwise you'll waste ton of time on iterations with limited parts you have on your hands at the moment.

19 hours ago, SaperPL said:

Not sure if you've got money to spend on specific bricks, but my approach is like this: I prototype the mechanical part first iterating between studio and physical model and when it starts to work I start to figure out the looks in studio to know which parts I need to get. It's still more expensive than buying sets, but you're getting exact parts that you need. It's an expensive hobby, but this approach to design works for me. You just need to learn to use virtual design, otherwise you'll waste ton of time on iterations with limited parts you have on your hands at the moment.

Well, im a tween so i gotta work a lot to save up to buy special bricks since i only have had the Mclaren Senna GTR so far. I also don't really like brick link and brick owl because i have to buy from individual sellers so sometimes i might buy from the LEGO store itself (altho sometimes its way more expensive) and I'm also not good at drawing and digital software ;-;

7 minutes ago, TechnicWeirdo said:

Well, im a tween so i gotta work a lot to save up to buy special bricks

I thought the EB was supposed to be to adults or something like that? Or am I missing something :P

7 minutes ago, TechnicWeirdo said:

I'm also not good at drawing and digital software

It's not about drawing. Go download bricklink studio: https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/download.page And play around. If you don't have money for bricks, this is still something you may learn to use. Note that 3d isn't going to tell you if something works physically or not. Anyway it's not about drawing 3d models yourself but building it with existing bricks that you pick out from studio bricks library. It's not like actuall 3d modelling software, so don't worry.

Just now, SaperPL said:

I thought the EB was supposed to be to adults or something like that? Or am I missing something :P

It's not about drawing. Go download bricklink studio: https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/download.page And play around. If you don't have money for bricks, this is still something you may learn to use. Note that 3d isn't going to tell you if something works physically or not. Anyway it's not about drawing 3d models yourself but building it with existing bricks that you pick out from studio bricks library. It's not like actuall 3d modelling software, so don't worry.

Okie well i do need help and IDK how old u gotta be lol i did download it already but the way it snaps is rlly annoying

1 minute ago, TechnicWeirdo said:

but the way it snaps is rlly annoying

Well, it's something you need to learn how to use. You need to use submodels and assemble small things, otherwise the snapping is annoying. Make submodels and then assemble submodels, otherwise it'll be snapping all around with each part separately.

I know that it could be done differently, but I guess it's also theoretically less steps/commands than what I'd have in mind/what I know from solidworks. Maybe other lego CADs would be better for you, but I only know this one well.

4 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

Well, it's something you need to learn how to use. You need to use submodels and assemble small things, otherwise the snapping is annoying. Make submodels and then assemble submodels, otherwise it'll be snapping all around with each part separately.

I know that it could be done differently, but I guess it's also theoretically less steps/commands than what I'd have in mind/what I know from solidworks. Maybe other lego CADs would be better for you, but I only know this one well.

Well, its not really about the snapping although it annoying, but the studio wont let you over lap bricks and when they do, its hard to get out of that transparent mode 
Also, whats ur name?

2 minutes ago, TechnicWeirdo said:

but the studio wont let you over lap bricks and when they do, its hard to get out of that transparent mode 

it's in the bottom right corner of the viewport:

KzAOwyvh.png

4 minutes ago, TechnicWeirdo said:

Also, whats ur name?

You've got my nickname up here, why do you ask? :)

23 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

it's in the bottom right corner of the viewport:

KzAOwyvh.png

You've got my nickname up here, why do you ask? :)

Just wanna get to know people here.