Kage Goomba

M-Tron - The Entire Collection

Bit of backstory:

When I was just a kid (born in 81) - my first major Lego Sets after the little airport and space base - I saw these sets and went wacko.

Begged and pleaded for each-and-every set.

Somehow - some way I managed to keep them intact and together over the years.
Due to various issues I was unable to do much due to living situation - then that changed thanks to a good job and pulling out of debt.

I've since become a Star Wars fanatic and started collecting UCS sets - but Mtron always held a very special place in my heart.

My first major collection. I intend to keep it that way.
I found that I was a little hard on my lego's so I had to recover/replace some parts - and missing 1 manual - 250 USD later and some patient waiting on Ebay - I can finally say I have the entire collection. I also discovered that there was a bonus set that I had missed that required 3 of the models to make this one - hence the 200 bucks or so - I bought the 3 extra duplicates of my collection to make that one special bonus.

And here they are all on display.

Notes:

What you see is the following sets:

1478 - Mobile Satellite Up-Link

6811 - Pulsar Charger

6833 - Beacon Tracer

6877 - Vector Detector

6896 - Celestial Forager

6923 - Particle Ionizer

6956 - Stellar Recon Voyager

6989 - Mega Core Magnetizer

6862 - Secret Space Voyager (bonus "super" set - 6877, 6896 and 6923 required/used)

6704 - Extra figure Somewhere in there
I may or may not have modded a couple sets for the extra parts left over from the super set - and took some creative licensing (all extra parts)

6710 - Blacktron Space Landing Plates - 3 sets of them

6971 - 2 Space "Lunar plates" from my old yet horribly broken set (I regret this)

I have all manuals - no parts missing - I only lack original boxes - back in the day those where original paper - no cardboard - I regret that - but at least this survived.

Now If only I could figure out what this entire collection is worth?

I'm also inclined to find a MOC MTron Base for my collection. - In any case - may you enjoy and share the memories of the epic 90's.

I decided to make a little themed "mining operation" showing off my collection - bought a whole pile of neon green studs due to shipping restrictions - cause why not.
Yes you may or may not spot the Ice Planet models in the background - don't mind them :)

Trivia Fact: This was the first time they introduced magnets into Space Legos

mtron_1.jpgmtron_2.jpgmtron_3.jpgmtron_4.jpgmtron_5.jpg

I hope there are still some die hard MTron fans out there - love to hear from you!

Enjoy. :)

Edited by Kage Goomba
editing links

Congratulations on achieving your collection! These canopies look amazing with your lightning set!

About the magnets: I'm not sure this was the first time they introduced them, I remember having a few in my collection despite having discovered MTron after my dark age.
Seems that I got them in 1985 with the 7715 train, but I can't tell if they were the first magnets from Lego or not.

5 minutes ago, Oracle of Mechanus said:

Congratulations on achieving your collection! These canopies look amazing with your lightning set!

About the magnets: I'm not sure this was the first time they introduced them, I remember having a few in my collection despite having discovered MTron after my dark age.
Seems that I got them in 1985 with the 7715 train, but I can't tell if they were the first magnets from Lego or not.

Could be true - I seem to recall as a kid they didn't really have magnets in lego's at least not in the states. I'm sure there's a historian somewhere lurking.

Now that you mention it you may be right as far as the train sets. So I guess its the first space series to have magnets - so I stand corrected.

I had a train set too :P lol foolish me.

Edited by Kage Goomba

I believe you're right, I don't think there were magnets in space sets before either.

Adding magnets to space sets was an actual stroke of genius!
I remember as a kid adding train magnets under my smaller shuttles to make them stick to the fridge: best play feature ever :-)

4 hours ago, Oracle of Mechanus said:

I believe you're right, I don't think there were magnets in space sets before either.

Adding magnets to space sets was an actual stroke of genius!
I remember as a kid adding train magnets under my smaller shuttles to make them stick to the fridge: best play feature ever :-)

I should have taken better care of my legos (mourns)

While I never had a lot of big sets from that era, mostly the smallest sets of the mtron/blacktron2/ice planet waves, and later some aquasharks, I still love this 80s/90s era of colors and parts.

I still have a big love for those neon colors and angled parts, and Nexo Knight was the theme that got me back into LEGO after 15 year mainly because of the neon colors/cockpits.

Edited by TeriXeri

7 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

While I never had a lot of big sets from that era, mostly the smallest sets of the mtron/blacktron2/ice planet waves, and later some aquasharks, I still love this 80s/90s era of colors and parts.

I still have a big love for those neon colors and angled parts, and Nexo Knight was the theme that got me back into LEGO after 15 year mainly because of the neon colors/cockpits.

I feel like I missed out on a lot of cool stuff as a kid lego wise - but I'm glad I manged to snag this collection when I could pull my parents ears to grabbing them. :)

Blacktron was kind of weird honestly - all over the place.

Iceplanet tho would have been really fun to grab - they had some interesting sets - may try to collect those.

19 minutes ago, Kage Goomba said:

I feel like I missed out on a lot of cool stuff as a kid lego wise - but I'm glad I manged to snag this collection when I could pull my parents ears to grabbing them. :)

Most of the LEGO I had as a kid from 70s/80s/90s era was either from older family members or from various gifts , so never really got a big collection of a single theme, it's mostly a mashup of Town, Castle, Pirates, Space with some Western/Aquazone/Adventurer mixed in.

The main theme I actually managed to somewhat complete a collection of back then, were the Slizers/Throwbots where I got all the regular sized ones 1998/1999.

I started collecting LEGO again in 2016, but for now, I keep the old seperate from the newer.

Edited by TeriXeri

Cool pictures!

M-Tron was my entry into LEGO space and the only subtheme I had all sets of. The Stellar Recon Voyager was my biggest spaceship until I got the Deep Freeze Defender. Good memories!

5 hours ago, Moriboe said:

Cool pictures!

M-Tron was my entry into LEGO space and the only subtheme I had all sets of. The Stellar Recon Voyager was my biggest spaceship until I got the Deep Freeze Defender. Good memories!

Amen on that - been eyeballing the Deep Freeze Defender since it first came out - would love to have that in my collection.

1 hour ago, Kage Goomba said:

Amen on that - been eyeballing the Deep Freeze Defender since it first came out - would love to have that in my collection.

I'm still planning to make a custom build similar to that set at some point, if the time comes that my nexo knight display gets taken apart.

I know it won't be 100% the same but nexo did have a lot of blue/darkblue with neon orange, and some other winter/chinese new year sets have had white angled plates.

Also 2 new ice planet inspired minifigs in the 2022 80109: Lunar New Year Ice Festival set.

I also still have the parts from 2 6834: Celestial Sled somewhere in my old collection, so I can at least have some of those white skis and printed slopes.

I know this topic was about m-tron, and only had 1 set 6811: Pulsar Charger.

As for biggest space ship, my family had a 928/497: Galaxy Explorer .

My biggest ship was a 6907: Sonic Stinger from insectoids , which I also had a few other sets from, for the time, the figures and metallic printing was one of my favorite.

Edited by TeriXeri

I love this theme, didn't have them as a kid but collected them in the early 2000s. The magnets were advertised as a key feature and most sets had those magnetic crates. I always imagined them as some kind of space mining company. My favorite is the Particle Ionizer, I like the space helicopter concept and the droid it comes with.

9 minutes ago, CP5670 said:

I love this theme, didn't have them as a kid but collected them in the early 2000s. The magnets were advertised as a key feature and most sets had those magnetic crates. I always imagined them as some kind of space mining company. My favorite is the Particle Ionizer, I like the space helicopter concept and the droid it comes with.

The only thing I wished they had done was a base for them. They didn't get one. :(

This is cool - congrats on completing the full set. 

This is my favorite era for space sets - Futuron, SP1, M:Tron, and Blacktron, so it's always fun to see pictures like these.

2 hours ago, Stepwise said:

This is cool - congrats on completing the full set. 

This is my favorite era for space sets - Futuron, SP1, M:Tron, and Blacktron, so it's always fun to see pictures like these.

Haven't thought of Futuron in years....brings back memories.