sdrnet

[MOC] Watchtower and medieval bridge

51747452197_dbfb9140a8_c.jpg

I present to you this new 2021 moc with a medieval theme.
The moc rests on two 32x32 bases and was designed to be placed side by side with the moc of the medieval windmill that I made in 2018.
I made a medieval bridge and a watchtower. The bridge rests diagonally to the bases using a somewhat complex but effective technique.
The watchtower is developed on three floors and is made with the walls that can be opened at the rear to be able to observe the interior.
Inside the entrance door is a secret hatch that can be operated with a lever to drop a minifig into the underground tunnel that leads to one of the bridge's water streams. Through this function a skit was born to give a story to this moc:

"High on the Watchtower, the lookout soldier, unaware of his future fate, watched the chariot coming to the Tower with the King's trusted knight.
His job was to collect a chest full of gold for the King to deliver to the castle.
A shrewd thief, however, had discovered how to steal the chest through a secret trap door that led to the tower and which also allowed him an escape route from the conduit beyond the bridge by passing through the cold waters of the river. Will the thief be able to escape? "

51749154705_ae15a8fd34_c.jpg

51749155580_dd9ebcd513_c.jpg

51748278441_be76c02250_c.jpg

51748278591_93fdaf6c74_c.jpg

51747453672_f2bb803f48.jpg

51747453752_5e3354deaa_c.jpg

Watchtower and Medieval Windmill together:

51747453942_ebb4a2f069_c.jpg

Complete Flickr Gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sdrnet/albums/72157720248922577

Comments welcome. Thank you all!

I find the overall picture with the mill the best shot. :dsweet:
Very good work with the bridge and I like your nature.
Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your compliments. The moc was born not only as a work in itself but as part of a larger project over time that I have been doing in a non-continuous way over the years. I hope that the emerging village will take shape over time. Thank you!

Ciao Damiano, ottimo lavoro come sempre. Davvero molto dinamica come composizione.

Devo farti giusto due appunti però:

il tetto della torre stona con quello del mulino. Preso a sè stante va  bene, ma messo a fianco del mulino, stride un po'. Sembrano quasi due Moc per ambiti differenti (mi hai comunque tolto un dubbio sull'accostamento di diverse tecniche di costruzione, per me non funziona proprio)

i due archi laterali del ponte è un peccato che non siano perfettamente tondi come quello centrale e quello sotto la torre. Avrei usato un arco intero o sarei andato su archi a sesto acuto.

Oh, chiaro che si tratta di inezie e di gusti personali.

In ogni caso, un altro bel lavoro, prima o poi dovrai affittare una seconda casa per metterci tutte le Moc.

Hi Damiano, great job as always.

Really very dynamic as a composition.

I have to make just two notes though:

the roof of the tower clashes with that of the mill. Taken on its own it is fine, but placed next to the mill, it screeches a little. They almost seem like two MOCs for different fields (you still removed my doubt about the combination of different construction techniques, it just doesn't work for me)

the two lateral arches of the bridge it is a pity that they are not perfectly round like the central one and the one under the tower. I would have used a full arch or I would have gone on pointed arches.

Oh, of course it's all about trifles and personal tastes.

In any case, another good job, sooner or later you will have to rent a second home to put all the Mocs in it.

Lovely, beautiful MOC! You are really capturing the the classic medieval fairy tale vibes. The angled bridge gives a nice twist. The combined photo looks amazing, makes the scale look more natural. :sweet:

49 minutes ago, kevin8 said:

the roof of the tower clashes with that of the mill.

I had the same problem with a recent MOC, I made most roofs out of regular roof tiles but wanted a hole in the blacksmiths roof (ended up doing a cheese-slope roof). I like to explain it as a difference of quality, the kings watchtower should in theory have a higher quality roof than a civilian building (a windmill is a bad example, but that's a whole other discussion). I do see the personal taste element though, custom built roofs do have a lot of texture and personality that regular roof tiles don't achieve. :shrug_oh_well:

Thanks for the comments!
For the bridge: I have done a lot of tests before using this type of bows. I wanted everything to have the right proportion and height. The 1x8 round (so to speak) did not give me the right aesthetic.
For the roof: the roofs had to be necessarily different for the type of buildings themselves .. more rustic for the mill, more massive for the tower. The roof of the tower will then be more consistent with other constructions that I intend to do in the future and perhaps everything will make even more sense.
Thanks for the comments, they are always very happy!