Kintobor

Heroica: Glory Amongst the Star - Mission #8: The Enigmatic Mr. Fix-It

53 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

Well, if we can find their memory cells. I could have MILES look at their programming. I am a little curious myself as to what their goal(s) could be.

51739323547_432434e15f_o.jpg
"Not a terrible idea, Polaris."

Polaris Coding Check (DC: 2): (1,3,4,6) Two Successes

Rooting through the shredded toys and endo-skeleton's remains, Polaris manages to find intact memory cells to work with. Using MILES' built-in ability, Polaris is able to discover a few things through the damaged cells. First, the toys' original programming was seemingly altered: both the toys and the endo-skeleton's deadcode priorities were overwritten to harm anyone they visibly saw once activated. Subroutines initially designed to entertain children with mimicry of life and the playing of music have been altered to rip and tear. The boot-up sequence for the robots had been altered to that of a manually-triggered pulse frequency: someone would need to activate them remotely in order for them to begin moving. Their goal, as stated in their coding, was to cause violence and mayhem.

Secondly, combat routines have been installed into the deadcode robots. A mere overwrite to cause harm would be one thing, but the toys and endo-skeleton had access to combat knowledge and could assess and evaluate enemies to coordinate attacks.

On 3/14/2022 at 6:45 PM, Kintobor said:

The group descends upon the final malicious, misfit toy as gunfire mixes with the revving of Bers' chainsword as a blast from Avgustus' shotgun reduces the bear to scrap. A brief moment passes as the scrapyard goes quiet.

"Woo! Nice job!"; Yelana walked over to Bers and placed a hand on his shoulder, eyeing Avgustus warily. "Sorry you took some bad hits back there - I wasn't expecting Polaris to not be a team player. . . I though she'd back you up.". 

OoC: 

Spoiler

Insight check. 

On 3/14/2022 at 6:45 PM, Kintobor said:

"Here you are, sport. I doubt I'll be needing this for the time being." Avgustus dusts himself off, disparaging at the state of his shoes. "Ugh, I'll have to get these thoroughly cleaned. Stomping around through the mud..."

"Oh, hey - What are you doing out here? It's not that I don't appreciate the help, just, uh. . . who's looking after 'Fix-It' and, uh, what's-her-name?". Yelana turned towards Bers and lowered her voice: "Check that gun and make sure it only fired one shot. . . I'll explain later.". 

Yelana crouched down by the remains of the Endo-Skeleton and began examining the strange device. "Weird. . . <Alright: Full scan - I want to know exactly what this is.>". 
"<Comprehensive Scans Have Been Initiated. . . Scanning. . . >". 

OoC: 

Spoiler

Perception check -> De-Equip Farsight Goggles and Equip Hacking Chip -> Coding check, Technology check, Engineering check, Arcana check, Occult check -> Insight check on the results of previous checks. 

On 3/14/2022 at 8:36 PM, samurai-turtle said:

Yelana. . . one Energy Cell. . . Polaris keeps the. . . Strange Device (???) 

"Ah - No", she said flatly as Polaris reached for the device - And I don't need that; the comedowns make me feel like shit.". 

2 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Well, if we can find their memory cells. I could have MILES look at their programming. I am a little curious myself as to what their goal(s) could be. 

"Good idea - Let's see if they aren't too scuffed. . . And let me take a look when you're done.". 

OoC: 

Spoiler

Coding check, Technology check, Engineering check -> De-Equip Hacking Chip and Equip Farsight Goggles -> Perception check -> Insight check on results. 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

2 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

The Plasma Potion is not enough for you? 

Yelana looked up; "Wait, you're using Plasma Potions? Can't you just, like, meditate, or something to heal yourself?" 

OoC: 

Spoiler

This is actually an out-of-character question presented in-character: What are the current rules surrounding the Meditate action? 
@Waterbrick Down, @Duvors

2 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

"Woo! Nice job!"; Yelana walked over to Bers and placed a hand on his shoulder, eyeing Avgustus warily. "Sorry you took some bad hits back there - I wasn't expecting Polaris to not be a team player. . . I though she'd back you up.".

Yelana Insight Check (DC: 3): (1,2,3,6) One Success

Despite her best attempts to get a read on Avgustus, she cannot get a read on the professor. He returns her glance with a look over of his own, his moustache curling into a slight smile as he does so. Yelana gets the feeling Avgustus can sense her suspicions of him, and perhaps a little bit more...

"Oh, hey - What are you doing out here? It's not that I don't appreciate the help, just, uh. . . who's looking after 'Fix-It' and, uh, what's-her-name?". Yelana turned towards Bers and lowered her voice: "Check that gun and make sure it only fired one shot. . . I'll explain later.".

Yelana crouched down by the remains of the Endo-Skeleton and began examining the strange device. "Weird. . . <Alright: Full scan - I want to know exactly what this is.>". 

"<Comprehensive Scans Have Been Initiated. . . Scanning. . . >".

Avgustus squints his eyes as Yelana questions him, smiling calmly in response. It's obvious though he finds the accusation annoying.

"Meerabeau is currently safe with Mr. Fix-It in their shed. Considering you three took roughly four minutes to take out these toys I did my civic duty and came out to ensure you were alright. I mean, I could've left you three to chase that last teddy bear around the scrapyard if you would have preferred me to do so. Besides, I'm none to keen on mercenaries running about the place, especially ones gallivanting about in black armour, my dear." Avgustus replies to Yelana. He takes out a metal cigarette case and proceeds to finger one of the cigarettes out, lighting it up with a lighter produced from his pocket. Taking in a deep exhale, he billows a plume of blue smoke beside him and respectfully out of the party's direction. He closes the cigarette case and returns it to his coat's inner pocket. "I could ask you three the same question. Looking to repair weapons for your guild? Come now: it's cheaper to replace weapons nowadays then get them repaired at the rate some of the corporations churn out their mass produced firearms. Considering how much of an upstart Heroica is, I find it impractical to come all the way out here to seek Fix-It when it's far more simple to just buy the weapons wholesale. Laserie had a lot of money to her name, but not enough to throw around. It's quite difficult for the dead to make money."

Yelana Technology Check (DC: 3): (2,5,6 +1 Success) Three Successes

Looking over the device, Yelana comes to the conclusion that the device was some kind of remote receiving device. Although scratch built, the device is similar to ones used in the activation of deadcode robot soldiers and security guards. However, the device contains a ripple pulse, which when activated turns on any other device near it connected to its frequency. A quick overview of the teddy bears reveals that both the teddy bears and the endo-skeleton share the same frequency as the receiving device. It is likely connected to a second device, an activator.

9 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"Of course. Any time, Bers." Avgustus looks in the direction Bers shouts, and hands him a flask from his coat. Fix-It was likely too far away to hear. "Perhaps a little nip of my drink will suffice? A bit of brandy in this chill does not hurt."

51622013920_c55d4731b9_t.jpg

"Thank you friend Avgustus, that should tide this unit over a little while longer."

Bers takes a swig of the flask and then hands it back to Avgustus.

9 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

The Plasma Potion is not enough for you? 

51743268666_6f3242a4ae_t.jpg

"Friend Polaris, while the plasma potion might fix any damage, this unit is fueled by alcohol. As a fleshling might be fueled by water and macro&micronutrients"

"Thank you, Bers." Avgustus takes his flask back. "I imagine that our scuffle will likely attract some kind of investigation, especially considering the shooting competition hasn't started yet. I can perhaps smooth things over for you regarding whoever comes to investigate, but that's up to you three." Avgustus puts a hand into his coat pocket as he takes a drag off his smouldering cigarette. "I've been told I am quite persuasive at times."

Edited by Kintobor

On 3/16/2022 at 6:57 PM, Kintobor said:

"Not a terrible idea, Polaris."

Polaris Coding Check (DC: 2): (1,3,4,6) Two Successes

Rooting through the shredded toys and endo-skeleton's remains, Polaris manages to find intact memory cells to work with. Using MILES' built-in ability, Polaris is able to discover a few things through the damaged cells. First, the toys' original programming was seemingly altered: both the toys and the endo-skeleton's deadcode priorities were overwritten to harm anyone they visibly saw once activated. Subroutines initially designed to entertain children with mimicry of life and the playing of music have been altered to rip and tear. The boot-up sequence for the robots had been altered to that of a manually-triggered pulse frequency: someone would need to activate them remotely in order for them to begin moving. Their goal, as stated in their coding, was to cause violence and mayhem.

Secondly, combat routines have been installed into the deadcode robots. A mere overwrite to cause harm would be one thing, but the toys and endo-skeleton had access to combat knowledge and could assess and evaluate enemies to coordinate attacks.

/// The "units" have been updated to attack anyone, the basic primary command is to cause violence and mayhem. Plus their had been combat programing installed. 

So they were some sort of distraction? We better check on "Mr. Fix-It" soon. 

23 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

"Ah - No", she said flatly as Polaris reached for the device - And I don't need that; the comedowns make me feel like shit.". 

What?... 

Then give it to someone like Bers there, I am sure they could use it. 

23 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Yelana looked up; "Wait, you're using Plasma Potions? Can't you just, like, meditate, or something to heal yourself?" 

That takes time something we might not have a lot of, plus I still am considered a novice with this stuff. Besides the Plasma Potions work a little faster sometimes. 

21 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"Meerabeau is currently safe with Mr. Fix-It in their shed. Considering you three took roughly four minutes to take out these toys I did my civic duty and came out to ensure you were alright. I mean, I could've left you three to chase that last teddy bear around the scrapyard if you would have preferred me to do so. Besides, I'm none to keen on mercenaries running about the place, especially ones gallivanting about in black armour, my dear." Avgustus replies to Yelana. He takes out a metal cigarette case and proceeds to finger one of the cigarettes out, lighting it up with a lighter produced from his pocket. Taking in a deep exhale, he billows a plume of blue smoke beside him and respectfully out of the party's direction. He closes the cigarette case and returns it to his coat's inner pocket. "I could ask you three the same question. Looking to repair weapons for your guild? Come now: it's cheaper to replace weapons nowadays then get them repaired at the rate some of the corporations churn out their mass produced firearms. Considering how much of an upstart Heroica is, I find it impractical to come all the way out here to seek Fix-It when it's far more simple to just buy the weapons wholesale. Laserie had a lot of money to her name, but not enough to throw around. It's quite difficult for the dead to make money."

Turning towards Yelana and in a low voice. Everyone thinks you are a "bad guy". As a goofy smirk comes across Polaris' face. 

I never said we were getting weapons repaired. Besides any weapons I have is considered personal property... 

/// Technically I belong to the Ne'xo Commonwealth. Polaris is just my commander. 

2 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"Thank you, Bers." Avgustus takes his flask back. "I imagine that our scuffle will likely attract some kind of investigation, especially considering the shooting competition hasn't started yet. I can perhaps smooth things over for you regarding whoever comes to investigate, but that's up to you three." Avgustus puts a hand into his coat pocket as he takes a drag off his smouldering cigarette. "I've been told I am quite persuasive at times."

It probably be the Mayor Lady.  Considering we were defending ourselves. And how they were programmed, I think we did everyone a favor. 

4 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

/// The "units" have been updated to attack anyone, the basic primary command is to cause violence and mayhem. Plus their had been combat programing installed. 

So they were some sort of distraction? We better check on "Mr. Fix-It" soon.

I never said we were getting weapons repaired. Besides any weapons I have is considered personal property... 

/// Technically I belong to the Ne'xo Commonwealth. Polaris is just my commander. 

It probably be the Mayor Lady.  Considering we were defending ourselves. And how they were programmed, I think we did everyone a favor. 

Avgustus frowns at Polaris' proposal.

"Hmm... I do not like the proposal that the bears were designed as a distraction... or perhaps some other form of deterrent. Hmm...

You may not have said this, Miss Polaris, but Bers did on the bus." Avgustus points to Bers. "What was it, my friend? Guild equipment that needed to be fixed? You didn't say it was weapons, but one could assume so based on your previous statement. You wouldn't lie to me, would you?" Avgustus asks pointedly, his cigarette shortening in his fingers. The sound of footsteps echoes through the scrapyard. Someone was approaching.

On 3/17/2022 at 1:01 AM, Classic_Spaceman said:

7 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

What?... 

51622013670_652656d062_t.jpg

"Oh yes, I'd gladly take that friend Yelana, thanks friend Polaris."

As Bers pockets the Energy Cell he briefly contemplates the banter between his comrades. 'Mhm it almost seems like these two don't get along very well... nah, I'm sure it's just my imagination.' Bers thinks to himself.

3 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Avgustus frowns at Polaris' proposal.

"Hmm... I do not like the proposal that the bears were designed as a distraction... or perhaps some other form of deterrent. Hmm...

You may not have said this, Miss Polaris, but Bers did on the bus." Avgustus points to Bers. "What was it, my friend? Guild equipment that needed to be fixed? You didn't say it was weapons, but one could assume so based on your previous statement. You wouldn't lie to me, would you?" Avgustus asks pointedly, his cigarette shortening in his fingers. The sound of footsteps echoes through the scrapyard. Someone was approaching.

51742075874_a08572ee3c_t.jpg

"Lie... ahum... of course, not... friend Avgustus, wait my sensors detect someone approaching..."

On 3/18/2022 at 3:57 AM, Dutch Thriceman said:

"Lie... ahum... of course, not... friend Avgustus, wait my sensors detect someone approaching..."

"We can discuss this later." Avgustus replies quietly, taking a drag on his cigarette as Mayor Cassandra Skyreach approaches into the junkyard, looking irritated. Flanking her are two elves in blue uniforms, quickly identified as members of the town watch. Both carry rifles equipped with gleaming energy bayonets.

51821893852_1a6a2e58a7_o.jpg
"What is the meaning of this?!" Cassandra shouts at the group as she stomps towards them. "I hear reports of gunshots and loud screeching sounds from Fix-It's, and you three are here!" She looks disappointingly at Bers. "And who is this?!" She points to Avgustus as he calmly stomps out his cigarette in the dirt.

"Apologies, my lady. I am professor Avgustus-"

"You know what, I don't care, you're trouble." She interrupts Avgustus, pointing at him. "I want an answer, and I want one now. What's going on?! I am supposed to be overseeing the Marksmanship Contest shortly, and instead I'm looking into you four! And where the hell is Fix-It!" She glares at the group expectantly.

On 3/16/2022 at 11:02 PM, Kintobor said:

"Besides, I'm none to keen on mercenaries running about the place, especially ones gallivanting about in black armour, my dear." Avgustus replies to Yelana. 

"Hmmmm. . . ". Yelana tucked a strand of hair behind her ear; "And what would you know about these 'mercenaries in black armour', exactly?", she said, in a tone that could almost seem flirtatious. 

OoC: 

Spoiler

De-Equip Hacking Chip -> Equip Translator Cube -> Persuasion and Insight checks. 

"I could ask you three the same question. Looking to repair weapons for your guild? Come now: it's cheaper to replace weapons nowadays then get them repaired at the rate some of the corporations churn out their mass produced firearms. Considering how much of an upstart Heroica is, I find it impractical to come all the way out here to seek Fix-It when it's far more simple to just buy the weapons wholesale. Laserie had a lot of money to her name, but not enough to throw around. It's quite difficult for the dead to make money."

"Right, right - You know, I could throw that same question back at you. I mean, I could ask what projector's worth coming all the way out here to get it fixed. Or I could ask why you're so proficient with weapons when you're just a professor. . . I could ask a lot of things. . . ". Raising her eyebrow, Yelana turned back to the scrap pile. 

OoC: 

Spoiler

Persuasion and Insight checks -> De-Equip Translator Cube -> Equip Hacking Chip. 

On 3/16/2022 at 6:57 PM, Kintobor said:

First, the toys' original programming was seemingly altered: both the toys and the endo-skeleton's deadcode priorities were overwritten to harm anyone they visibly saw once activated. Subroutines initially designed to entertain children with mimicry of life and the playing of music have been altered to rip and tear. The boot-up sequence for the robots had been altered to that of a manually-triggered pulse frequency: someone would need to activate them remotely in order for them to begin moving. Their goal, as stated in their coding, was to cause violence and mayhem.

Looking over the device, Yelana comes to the conclusion that the device was some kind of remote receiving device. Although scratch built, the device is similar to ones used in the activation of deadcode robot soldiers and security guards. However, the device contains a ripple pulse, which when activated turns on any other device near it connected to its frequency. A quick overview of the teddy bears reveals that both the teddy bears and the endo-skeleton share the same frequency as the receiving device. It is likely connected to a second device, an activator.

Rolling the receiver around in her hand, Yelana pondered the situation: "Okay. . . Harrigan definitely built these; programmed, I don't know. . . They were buried - see also, mould - so they've been here a while. . . Not an assassination attempt - it'd be too hard to pull off without being detected. . . Defence system? . . . Not automated, though. . . Wait - Playback and enhance.". Yelana thought back to the moment before the toys emerged and tried to remember if 'Fix-It' or Meerabeau did anything to suggest that they were activating them

OoC: 

Spoiler

Insight check. 
Also, in case it is not clear, Yelana's entire monologue (her including communicating with her visor) takes place in her mind. 

On 3/17/2022 at 8:25 PM, samurai-turtle said:

What?... 

Yelana looked up at Polaris. 
"What 'what?'? Energy Cells slow down your perception of time so you can make the perfect hit, but when the effect wears off, it just about makes me puke!" 

Giving a quick thumbs-up to Polaris, Yelana returned to her examination of the debris. 

Turning towards Yelana and in a low voice. Everyone thinks you are a "bad guy". 

"Not the first time.", she thought, keeping her eyes focused on her work. 

On 3/18/2022 at 12:48 AM, Kintobor said:

The sound of footsteps echoes through the scrapyard. Someone was approaching.

Upon hearing the footsteps growing louder, Yelana quickly and quietly retrieved the five memory cores and the receivers from the scrapped toys, slipping them into her backpack. 

OoC: 

Spoiler

De-Equip Hacking Chip -> Equip Cloaking Generator -> Sleight-of-Hand check -> De-Equip Cloaking Generator and Equip Translator Cube. 

8 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Mayor Cassandra Skyreach approaches into the junkyard, looking irritated. Flanking her are two elves in blue uniforms, quickly identified as members of the town watch. Both carry rifles equipped with gleaming energy bayonets.

"What is the meaning of this?!" Cassandra shouts at the group as she stomps towards them. "I hear reports of gunshots and loud screeching sounds from Fix-It's, and you three are here!" She looks disappointingly at Bers. "And who is this?!" She points to Avgustus as he calmly stomps out his cigarette in the dirt.

"You know what, I don't care, you're trouble." She interrupts Avgustus, pointing at him. "I want an answer, and I want one now. What's going on?! I am supposed to be overseeing the Marksmanship Contest shortly, and instead I'm looking into you four! And where the hell is Fix-It!" She glares at the group expectantly.

Yelana stood up and approached the Mayor. 
"Whoa, uh, take a breath, Mayor. . . Skyreach, was it? It's okay - Everything's under control now. There was just some malfunctioning tech, but we took care of it; 'Fix-It' and his assistant are in that shed over there. We're fine, no-one's hurt, but, uh. . . I do appreciate your concern, though.". Yelana paused for a second: "So. . . we're good here, or do you need to take a look around?". 

OoC: 

Spoiler

Persuasion check. 
BTW, Yelana has the Translator Cube equipped, in case there is any confusion (since I have been switching between tools practically every other paragraph!). 

9 hours ago, Kintobor said:

51726209860_4be16101f0_t.jpg

"Oh hey friend Cassandra, friend Yelana is telling the truth!"

Bers shouts off, in an obliviously casual and cheerfull manner...

51784532397_fabf5d2d1d_t.jpg

"We just came to visit Mr. Fix-It when some scrappy serial killer deadcode bots crawled out from under the trash, so we've technically been a big help to the town, the little boltsacks could've harmed one of your people!"

Bers states in a relaxed, matter of fact, kind of way. Looking at the major with a big smile on his face-plate.

Edited by Dutch Thriceman

7 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Yelana looked up at Polaris. 
"What 'what?'? Energy Cells slow down your perception of time so you can make the perfect hit, but when the effect wears off, it just about makes me puke!" 

Upon hearing the footsteps growing louder, Yelana quickly and quietly retrieved the five memory cores and the receivers from the scrapped toys, slipping them into her backpack. 

In a voice quietly but to herself. That is not what I was talking about...

Couldn't be sure but Polaris thought did Yelana grab all the "memory cells", I hope it is to give to the proper authorities...

7 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

"Whoa, uh, take a breath, Mayor. . . Skyreach, was it? It's okay - Everything's under control now. There was just some malfunctioning tech, but we took care of it; 'Fix-It' and his assistant are in that shed over there. We're fine, no-one's hurt, but, uh. . . I do appreciate your concern, though.". Yelana paused for a second: "So. . . we're good here, or do you need to take a look around?". 

Malfunctioning? Someone reprogrammed the mechanic creepy bears. If you have someone look at their memory cells it should tell you Ms. Mayor. That we were just defending ourselves. 

6 hours ago, Dutch Thriceman said:

51726209860_4be16101f0_t.jpg

I don't know about that, her version of it at least. 

Now where is those memory cells? So that the Mayor can get someone to look at them. 

Edited by samurai-turtle

20 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

"Hmmmm. . . ". Yelana tucked a strand of hair behind her ear; "And what would you know about these 'mercenaries in black armour', exactly?", she said, in a tone that could almost seem flirtatious.

Yelana Persuasion Check (DC: 2): (5,6,6 +1) Four Successes
Yelana Insight Check (DC: 3): (1,1,3,6) One Success

Avgustus straightens his bow tie as he addresses Yelana.

"I know enough to make assessments of character and weigh risks. I am a professional, after all, and professionals must keep up appearances. I will note, however, that I find it adorable that you'd try and flirt with a man who doesn't swing that way, Yelana, if you catch my drift." Avgustus returns the flirtatious remark back to Yelana, but there's clearly a stinging bite in his remark. She's no closer to reading him.

"Right, right - You know, I could throw that same question back at you. I mean, I could ask what projector's worth coming all the way out here to get it fixed. Or I could ask why you're so proficient with weapons when you're just a professor. . . I could ask a lot of things. . . ". Raising her eyebrow, Yelana turned back to the scrap pile.

Yelana Persuasion Check (DC: 5): (1,2,5 +1 Success) Two Successes
Yelana Insight Check (DC: 3): (4,4,6,6) Four Successes

"The projector is worth a lot," Avgustus replies curtly, "and that's all you need to know. As for why I am so proficient in firearms," the adamite pushes the left side of his coat open to reveal a stout, polished looking revolver, "I served during the war. When it ended, I went back to teaching as a professor of history and military conflict, now having first hand experience to the terror of the class I now teach: Five Years War 101, 201, and 301. My service revolver stays by my side, especially out in the boonies." Yelana feels as if Avgustus is not being wholly honest with her. As exceptional as he is at keeping a straight face, she feels as if somewhere in his statement he's leaving things out. The two share a knowing glance. Yelana has a feeling Avgustus knows about her insight.

Rolling the receiver around in her hand, Yelana pondered the situation: "Okay. . . Harrigan definitely built these; programmed, I don't know. . . They were buried - see also, mould - so they've been here a while. . . Not an assassination attempt - it'd be too hard to pull off without being detected. . . Defence system? . . . Not automated, though. . . Wait - Playback and enhance.". Yelana thought back to the moment before the toys emerged and tried to remember if 'Fix-It' or Meerabeau did anything to suggest that they were activating them.

Yelana Insight Check (DC: 2): (2,5,5,6) Three Successes

Thinking back, nothing comes to mind that would have allowed for the activation of the murderous toys. The most likely means the toys were activated was another device, one neither of them seemingly had or made motions of activating.

Yelana Sleight of Hand Check (DC: 3): (1,3,5,6 +1 Success) Three Successes

Yelana succeeds in pocketing the the five memory cores without anyone noticing.

19 hours ago, Dutch Thriceman said:

Bers shouts off, in an obliviously casual and cheerfull manner...

"We just came to visit Mr. Fix-It when some scrappy serial killer deadcode bots crawled out from under the trash, so we've technically been a big help to the town, the little boltsacks could've harmed one of your people!"

Bers states in a relaxed, matter of fact, kind of way. Looking at the major with a big smile on his face-plate.

12 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Malfunctioning? Someone reprogrammed the mechanic creepy bears. If you have someone look at their memory cells it should tell you Ms. Mayor. That we were just defending ourselves. 

I don't know about that, her version of it at least. 

Now where is those memory cells? So that the Mayor can get someone to look at them. 

"Malfunctioning deadcode robot bears?" Mayor Cassandra replies, each word out of her mouth more confused and worried. She looks at the scrapped bears and the hulking endo-skeleton on the ground as she squints her eyes, thinking through the scene. A moment passes before she responds. "There were memory cores involved? I would like to see them if they're present."

"I can corroborate the trio's story." Avgustus speaks up cordially. "We came to visit the resident tinkerer when-"

"I understand that part!" Cassandra replies with a shout. "If these deadcode memory cores are present I would like to see them." She looks to the heroes expectantly.

"Uh, Polaris? I think you're being a just little bit paranoid - I mean, who would programme creepy animatronic bears to just shamble around and break shit? It was probably just a fused circuit or something. . . "; Yelana shrugged causally. "And what memory cores are you talking about? These things are like two steps up from simple clockworks, I'd doubt they had any kind of programming at all - You can check, but I didn't see anything." 

4 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

"Uh, Polaris? I think you're being a just little bit paranoid - I mean, who would programme creepy animatronic bears to just shamble around and break shit? It was probably just a fused circuit or something. . . "; Yelana shrugged causally. "And what memory cores are you talking about? These things are like two steps up from simple clockworks, I'd doubt they had any kind of programming at all - You can check, but I didn't see anything." 

Good question, who would reprogrammed the creepy bears. How about those two paranoid people we seen earlier. 

/// I examined the memory cells earlier and someone added the attack sub routines to the so called creepy bears. Now where did the memory cells go? They don't seem like the type to pick themselves up and walk off. 

4 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"I understand that part!" Cassandra replies with a shout. "If these deadcode memory cores are present I would like to see them." She looks to the heroes expectantly.

Good point I like to find them again my self. 

What could of happen to them Yelana (and Bers)? 

19 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

14 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Good question, who would reprogrammed the creepy bears. How about those two paranoid people we seen earlier. 

/// I examined the memory cells earlier and someone added the attack sub routines to the so called creepy bears. Now where did the memory cells go? They don't seem like the type to pick themselves up and walk off. 

"..." Cassandra goes quiet for a moment as she thinks through the statements provided to her, clearly coming to a conclusion based on the two heroes words. The two guards with her seem to be in thought themselves. "We can discuss who could be capable of reprogramming these toys later. Both of you cannot be correct. Either there were memory cells, or there were not. I am going to ask that they be presented to me, or I shall be forced to begin an inspection." Cassandra looks back to the guards who holster their rifles across their shoulders and prepare for an inspection. She motions for the two of them to step forward.

"I know enough to make assessments of character and weigh risks. I am a professional, after all, and professionals must keep up appearances. I will note, however, that I find it adorable that you'd try and flirt with a man who doesn't swing that way, Yelana, if you catch my drift."

"I find it presumptuous that you'd assume I'm flirting.", Yelana replied coyly. 

"As for why I am so proficient in firearms," the adamite pushes the left side of his coat open to reveal a stout, polished looking revolver, "I served during the war. When it ended, I went back to teaching as a professor of history and military conflict, now having first hand experience to the terror of the class I now teach: Five Years War 101, 201, and 301. My service revolver stays by my side, especially out in the boonies."

Yelana glanced down at the weapon, then looked back at Avgustus; "Ah - Just out of curiosity, what branch did you serve in?". 

16 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

"Wait, who?", Yelana said, surprised; "Are you talking about 'Fix_It'?". 

"M.I.L.E.S., did you catch something I missed? I didn't see anything like that when I looked over the debris.". 

Yelana shrugged and looked around at everyone present, seemingly confused

OoC: 

Spoiler

Deception checks. 

1 hour ago, Kintobor said:

"..." Cassandra goes quiet for a moment as she thinks through the statements provided to her, clearly coming to a conclusion based on the two heroes words. The two guards with her seem to be in thought themselves. "We can discuss who could be capable of reprogramming these toys later. Both of you cannot be correct. Either there were memory cells, or there were not. I am going to ask that they be presented to me, or I shall be forced to begin an inspection." Cassandra looks back to the guards who holster their rifles across their shoulders and prepare for an inspection. She motions for the two of them to step forward.

"Feel free to have a look around.", Yelana said in as casual a voice as she could muster; "I do think we should let 'Fix-It' know what's going on, though - He may be able to shed some light on this whole situation, and he's probably getting a little cramped in that shed.". She turned and walked pointedly over to the shed and knocked on the door; "'Fix-It'? Meerabeau? All's clear, but, uh. . . the Mayor's here, and she's pissed.". 

4 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Since I (and MILES) don't have them you can search us

"Wait, who?", Yelana said, surprised; "Are you talking about 'Fix_It'?". 

"M.I.L.E.S., did you catch something I missed? I didn't see anything like that when I looked over the debris.". 

Yelana shrugged and looked around at everyone present, seemingly confused

No you... I am talking about the two from the bakers stand from earlier. You know the same two that claimed I was listening in on them. And got peeved off at me. I guess they were worried about all the armed "people" around. 

/// I examined the the memory cells earlier before they disappeared. I am sure Mr. Avgustus watched me examine the memory cells...

/// Miss Yelana if you know where the memory cells are I recommend you turn them over to the proper authorities

20 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

No you... I am talking about the two from the bakers stand from earlier. You know the same two that claimed I was listening in on them. And got peeved off at me. I guess they were worried about all the armed "people" around. 

"Oh, those asshoIes? Not likely - They were probably just drunk and in a bad mood.". 

22 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

/// I examined the the memory cells earlier before they disappeared. I am sure Mr. Avgustus watched me examine the memory cells...

Yelana turned to Avgustus, still appearing rather confused; "Did you see that? I mean, I saw M.I.L.E.S. looking at the Endo-Skeleton. . . maybe I missed something?". 

OoC: 

Spoiler

Deception and Persuasion checks, respectively. 

27 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

/// Miss Yelana if you know where the memory cells are I recommend you turn them over to the proper authorities

"Would if I could.", she snapped back as she walked over to the shed. 

4 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

"I find it presumptuous that you'd assume I'm flirting.", Yelana replied coyly. 

Yelana glanced down at the weapon, then looked back at Avgustus; "Ah - Just out of curiosity, what branch did you serve in?".

"I find it presumptuous you assume I'm looking for a date." Avgustus replies. " I served in counter-intelligence if you must know."

3 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

"Yelana turned to Avgustus, still appearing rather confused; "Did you see that? I mean, I saw M.I.L.E.S. looking at the Endo-Skeleton. . . maybe I missed something?".

MM Note: I could give you a DC for the deception check, but considering both Polaris and Bers both saw the memory cells and Polaris handled them, there is no way with your current skill set you'd be able to convince them they didn't. I'm going to consider your attempts to have failed, but if you want to know the DC I'd put it at an 8.

Avgustus sighs in frustration.

Avgustus Slight of Hand Check (4,5,5 +1 Success) Four Successes vs. Yelana Perception Check (1,3,3,5) One Successes

"I have what you're looking for, Miss Cassandra." The adamite speaks up, producing a memory core from his person. Yelana quickly releases that during the commotion she had allowed Avgustus to slip into her bag and take one of the cores. "Sorry, I guess it slipped my mind that this of all things would've been a core." Cassandra narrows her eyes as she glares at the professor.

"Give it here." Avgustus walks over to Cassandra and hands the memory core to her. She looks over it carefully. "I do not know why you of all people would be keeping this from me, but I'll be keeping a closer eye on you, professor."

"Apologies, sincerely. It slipped my mind it was on my person." Avgustus smiles to Cassandra as she continues to look it over. She speaks to them as she examines it, clearly unsure of how it functions.

"Be about your business. If what you say is true this memory core should exonerate you from any... repercussions." Frustrated, she places the core in her pocket, clutching it in her hand. Her hand does not remove itself from her pocket. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I do have things to attend to- the marksmanship contest to be specific." She gives a stern glance over the party as she turns around and motions for the two town watch members to follow her.

"Well, that was more tense than it needed to be." Avgustus chimes in once Cassandra and the guards were out of ear shot. "Shall we go check on Fix-It?"

OoC: 

Spoiler
14 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

MM Note: I could give you a DC for the deception check, but considering both Polaris and Bers both saw the memory cells and Polaris handled them, there is no way with your current skill set you'd be able to convince them they didn't. I'm going to consider your attempts to have failed, but if you want to know the DC I'd put it at an 8.

I should have been more specific - I meant that Yelana was still trying to deceive the Mayor and her guards by acting confused about the existence of memory cores.