Sign in to follow this  
GerritvdG

[TC21] 8852 Robot renewed

Hello everyone, I started working on this contest and selected the 8852 Robot because I don't have other ideas and I really seems to like recreating those legacy models (recently finished the 8853 Loader studless ).

Below is a video of the first version:

I used the long gear racks of the 42105 Catamaran for the extension of the front wheels and plan to use three power functions motors:

• a medium for the transformation
  • a medium for propulsion
  • and a servo medium for steering.

Furthermore, I'm going to use the smaller battery box and two receiver units, will be a challenge to fit everything on such a small model. Other challenges is to get the ratio of the two transformaties right without making an exact copy of the original studfull model.

Next is to work on positioning the motors and try the 11-tooth gear for the front wheels extension.

More information about  the original model (I don't own the original)":

http://www.technicopedia.com/8852.html

- Original instructions http://peeron.com/scans/8852-1 (does anybody have a PDF-version?)

Cheers, Gerrit!

Edited by GerritvdG

Update time! I've fitted all the PF-components (3 M-moters, 2 IR-revievers, batterybox) on the chassis and used 12-tooth gears to extend the wheelbase. So I've a first rough working version! Happy that all those component fit in such a small model.

On the photo below two motors are visible (one for steering, have some problems with my non-original servo) and one for the transformation (behind the back of the Robot).

1280x960.JPG

And after the transformation:

1280x960.JPG

From below

1280x960.JPG

Things on my TODO-list:

• create a shorter wheel base to get closer to the original 8852. I think the rear wheels can be moved 2 studs forward (by replacing the U-joint by a pair of 8-gears). Also the front wheel can be moved at least one stud forward.
  • next item is to improve the aesthetics  (finishing the head and back of the robot, update the colors and finishing the chassis)

If you see things that could be improved, feel free.

2 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Looks good so far! I think it definitely needs the tape-reel "eyes" in the cab - you can use Technic bricks to mount those.

Thanks, had to search what the meaning was of "tape-reel", but now I understand why TLG used those strange looking eyes :laugh:. They are definitely going to be part of this MOC!

Edited by GerritvdG
link

This project is fun, below the next phase of this little project.  Managed to make some quick photos and a video in the last 'daylight' of today. Hope you like it!

• added the eyes, back, arms and some details
  • worked on consistent colors
  • shortened the wheelbase with 3 studs
  • improved the cable routing, however the cable to the battery box will be a little bit more hidden then on the picture below.

My renewed version compared to the original.

640x853.JPG8852-1.png

In car modus:

800x600.JPG

And showing the motorized functions:

To finish the project I will try to add the stickers for the tape-reeled eyes, for further steps I have to experiment:

• cover the PF components without making it bulky;
  • find a way to connect the arms to the transformation

Thanks for following this project!

Gerrit

3 hours ago, howitzer said:

Very nice, looks true to the original!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, emielroumen said:

Looks great! Can you include a hand-of-god knob, even if fake, to stay true to the original?

That's a good one, I have to think about it. It has some impact on the front part, because it has to be build on top of the M-motor, but I can't build anything on top of the 2*4 liftarm because that space is needed for the robot in folded position :classic:

Another thing, below a detail of the front axle with a M-motor acting as servo. I wonder, is there a better way to assemble the marked connection?
640x480.JPG

It was important to make this front-part as compact as possible to stay true to the original, so I used 6 studs for the M-motor and 3 studs to connect everything together (length)

Edited by GerritvdG

My final update about this little project!

Updates:

•    Renewed stickers for the tape reel eyes.
•    Fake HOG-steering to replicate the HOG-steering of the original

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg800x600.png

Video of the functions, special thanks for my son which kindly lend his modded 42122 for scale comparison (and he told me to say that there are no instructions for his mod yet on RB :sweet:

Edited by GerritvdG

2 minutes ago, whitepen said:

But will there be instructions?

I'm think of publishing instructions of a motorized and a non-motorized version....

... and I don't think my son will publish anything about his modded 42122 :wink:

Great modern take on the set.

Perhaps an idea to give the arms some linkage to the uprising mechanism of the robot so you don't have to manually pull them out before transforming? I like that they are poseable, but them not moving outwards on their own just feels a little weird to me.

16 minutes ago, Appie said:

Perhaps an idea to give the arms some linkage to the uprising mechanism of the robot so you don't have to manually pull them out before transforming?

That's a good one, I've made different attempts to move the arms forward with the uprising mechanism. That worked, however a little bit strange because the arms end in an unnatural position. Also I wanted to preserve the playability with the arms, so it was a combination of friction and the uprising mechanism driving the motion.

Another project was to move the eyes with the uprising of the robot.

Both ideas didn't make it into the final version.

But a mechanism pushing the arms out is indeed another thing that I can try!

On 1/8/2022 at 4:25 PM, GerritvdG said:

My final update about this little project!

Updates:

•    Renewed stickers for the tape reel eyes.
•    Fake HOG-steering to replicate the HOG-steering of the original

Video of the functions, special thanks for my son which kindly lend his modded 42122 for scale comparison (and he told me to say that there are no instructions for his mod yet on RB :sweet:

The HOG looks great, even though it is fake!

Closer to the original, great looking retro build.

I might have to look through the bins of old parts to actually build the original again after all these years.

Edited by emielroumen

On 1/8/2022 at 8:10 AM, GerritvdG said:

I'm think of publishing instructions of a motorized and a non-motorized version....

... and I don't think my son will publish anything about his modded 42122 :wink:

Cool! I dont have the motors so manual would be great. Also, would they be free or premium instructions?

23 minutes ago, whitepen said:

Also, would they be free or premium instructions?

The instructions will be free. I'm just a simple MOC'er, it's just for fun.

22 hours ago, GerritvdG said:

The instructions will be free. I'm just a simple MOC'er, it's just for fun.

Great!

On 1/12/2022 at 7:18 PM, whitepen said:

Cool! I dont have the motors so manual would be great. Also, would they be free or premium instructions?

Just published the instructions for the manual version on RB!

Really like this manual version because it's more compact, for some reason it also makes it more playable. 

1024x768.JPG

1024x768.JPG

For this occasion I made a Ukraine flag for obvious reasons we should not discuss on this forum....

The front wheels should be the other way around to cover the bushes, just spotted this :wacko: