Paperinik77pk

[MOC] Octrainber 2021 - PIKO ME4401 - "Spielzeug Lokomotive"

Hi all,

this year I'll give a try to the Octrainber contest , without any willing other than to participate :sweet:

I am beginning to design and project my entry, which will participate in "internal combustion" topic.
Probably it will be also considered as "fantasy" since my prototype is not a real locomotive, but a toy made by PIKO company in the East Germany of the 60s.

Octrainber 2021 - Piko ME4401 Spielzeug-Lokomotive

This locomotive represents a somewhat Diesel version of a DB E69.05 locomotive. The E69 maybe could not be classified a "Critter" since it was a locomotive widely used on main lines.
But a Diesel version of it...surely less powerful, slower...would automatically be used as shunter in a Station somewhere, sooner or later.

The Piko model has ME-4401 identification code and was sold under the "Junior" product line, targeted to younger train fans and starters. It is described sometimes as "Spielzeug Lokomotive" and sometimes as "Rangierlok" (shunter).

It is a model that is still existing and sold, under the new Piko "MyTrain" product line.
Octrainber 2021 - Piko MyTrain 57014

The project is to create a Circuit Cubes based locomotive - built with Technic parts (honoring the old mechanical toys).

Ciao!
Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

That's a really good idea!! I like it. I shall be interested to see what you make of it and how you integrate the Technic parts into your design.

Ciao @Hod Carrier - thanks!!! - I've seen your post on the new Octrainber WIP - so I'll move all the updates there :laugh::laugh:

The locomotive will be simple and made by really common Technic parts. I will consider also the "money factor" in the whole exercise. Of course making it in normal bricks could allow to have a more precise and detailed model. However, the use of  new Technic parts on trains has always been fascinating me (do you remember the "spaghetti effect" yellow wagon)?

One note: the Circuit Cubes motor and Hub are making price higher, but they are not so expensive, considered all the good opportunities they offer.:wub:

Ciao!

Davide

3 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

One note: the Circuit Cubes motor and Hub are making price higher, but they are not so expensive, considered all the good opportunities they offer.:wub:

I have to say that, when you consider that you’re getting two motors, battery and receiver all for that one price, it’s a bit of a bargain compared to what LEGO would charge you for the same. 

Nice choice. I'm guessing the real electric E69.05 was under 1,000hp, so you might have been good with that. Best of luck with your locomotive. I'll be your competition with my 6-wide Trackmobile.

2 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Nice choice. I'm guessing the real electric E69.05 was under 1,000hp, so you might have been good with that. Best of luck with your locomotive. I'll be your competition with my 6-wide Trackmobile.

you are correct there! it had 822.5 hp so the real one would be fine aswell

Hi all! Being now the entry published on OcTRAINBER "Internal Combustion" topic - I can now insert it also here :laugh:

OcTRAINber 2021 - Spielzeug Locomotive - Slide 1OcTRAINber 2021 - Spielzeug Locomotive - Slide 3OcTRAINber 2021 - Spielzeug Locomotive - Slide 4OcTRAINber 2021 - Spielzeug Locomotive - Slide 5OcTRAINber 2021 - Spielzeug Locomotive - Slide 6OcTRAINber 2021 - Spielzeug Locomotive - Slide 7OcTRAINber 2021 - Spielzeug Locomotive - Slide 8OcTRAINber 2021 - Spielzeug Locomotive - Slide 9

In addition, two videos showing the belt transmission and the really simple sound feature.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138174786@N04/51572413363/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138174786@N04/51636128783/in/dateposted-public/

I add here the full size pictures of the locomotive and its tipper wagon:

Octrainber 2021 - Spielzeug Locomotive

A view of its chassis:

Octrainber 2021 - Spielzeug Lokomotive chassis completed

And the yellow mock-up , now dismantled since the official version is blue :laugh:

Octrainber 2021 - Spielzeug Lokomotive - Mock-up Yellow Body

Other photos and WIP story are available here in EuroBricks on specific thread, and here, on Flickr's album:

I hope you like it!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

On 10/30/2021 at 10:11 AM, Paperinik77pk said:

I hope you like it!

I do. It's a very comprehensive description of the design and build. Congratulations on getting it all finished.

Best of luck in the competition. :classic:

1 minute ago, Hod Carrier said:

I do. It's a very comprehensive description of the design and build. Congratulations on getting it all finished.

Best of luck in the competition. :classic:

Thanks! It's very appreciated! I wish you too a good luck in the OcTRAINber contest!!! :laugh:

Davide