Luke Moonwalker

Cheap Bricks

Hello! I've been wanting to build an epic Star Wars Lego base, but don't really have that much of a brick collection. I was wondering if there was a website/store I could go to for the bricks required to make this MOC. Many thanks!

kinda depends on what you are going for. Bricklink has some great prices per parts. 
Depending on where you live you can go to second hand stores and see if they have legos. But that hit or miss if they even have legos and then its more of a grab bag kinda thing. 
Amazon has a 4 pound lot for 50 dollars. But again, according to the reviews its really random. 

There are a lot of knock off lego mass buys on amazon as well, usually cheaper then real logos. I mean, there are a lot of options to get Legos. But it really depends on what you are going for. 

If it is going to be built in light bluish grey, be prepared to pay a lot for the bricks.

If you have a specific design in mind already, I'd recommend making it in Stud.io or something first - so you know exactly which bricks you need, and don't waste money on bricks you won't use. The best way to source specific parts is Bricklink, but that can be expensive especially in bulk.

For getting large quantities of Lego at a relatively low price, check second-hand marketplaces. Ebay can be good, especially if you don't mind not getting many or any minifigures - but in my experience the best bang for your buck will come from Facebook Marketplace. Not always, especially if you live in a smaller area; often there's no good Lego lots for sale, or the seller is asking for more than is a good deal to spend, but if you're patient and check regularly, you'll spot plenty of bargains. Avoid any listing that has specific set numbers in it, unless you're actively looking for those sets - if they know what sets are in the lot, it means they've done their research and probably know how much those sets are worth. But on Facebook a lot of the lots for sale are people just wanting their house clear, and they'll charge a price based on how much bulk there is rather than what the parts are.

Going one step further, you can resell pieces you don't want - for instance, if you got a joblot with loads of horses, it might not fit in with what you wanted, but the money those horses might raise you could go towards bricks that ARE useful to you. Given long enough, and with enough diligence, you could theoretically get all the parts you need for a net profit - but that wouldn't get you bulk Lego quickly.

My recommendations:

- Try Facebook Marketplace first

- Try eBay second

- Look in local charity shops, just in case - if you have a retired relative, you might want to consider strategically getting them employed on a voluntary basis at the local charity shop. My nan did a year at one a while back, and let's just say any time Lego came in she bought it before it ever hit the shop floor ;)

37 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

- Look in local charity shops, just in case - if you have a retired relative, you might want to consider strategically getting them employed on a voluntary basis at the local charity shop. My nan did a year at one a while back, and let's just say any time Lego came in she bought it before it ever hit the shop floor ;)

Outrageous behaviour!

Would like to point out that for occasionally Bricklink stores may only have a few of a certain part you want — I've noticed this when making parts lists involving lots of large plates. In such a situation it can turn out to be cheaper and easier to buy directly from LEGO via bricks & pieces rather than splitting an order over several Bricklink stores.

You might be lucky enough to have a "Bricks & Minifigs" store near you. They are Lego resellers. My local store is great for such things because they get a lot of Legos traded in.

https://bricksandminifigs.com/craigslist.com can be good at times; ebay; and Lego replacement bricks too.