evancelt

[MOC] Repeating Rifles

Welcome to Fort Caine!

Let's get you boys some of these new repeating rifles!

repeating-rifles-1.jpg

repeating-rifles-2.jpg

Purpose of this little build was to try out sand blue boot legs (left) side-by-side with medium blue boot legs (right). The sand blue boot legs have black boots and the medium blue ones have dark brown boots.

Which do you like better on the blue cavalry?

Edited by evancelt

I think I prefer the sand blue - it's that little bit more muted compared to the slightly brighter med blue. I have a ton of these old style cavalry troopers - I should try a western themed build one of these days!!

I tried your eraser trick with a torso but couldn't get it to work. I've experimented in the past with nail varnish remover, but it damaged the plastic in an unrepairable way!

3 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

I think I prefer the sand blue - it's that little bit more muted compared to the slightly brighter med blue. I have a ton of these old style cavalry troopers - I should try a western themed build one of these days!!

I tried your eraser trick with a torso but couldn't get it to work. I've experimented in the past with nail varnish remover, but it damaged the plastic in an unrepairable way!

I think I like sand blue better too because the boots are black! The dark brown boots on the medium blue don't look quite polished enough for a uniform. If there were official TLG medium blue legs with black boots I'd likely choose that.

The trick to the eraser method is to rub really hard until the eraser starts to break! Once it has broken up a bit it has more grit and seems to work more quickly. High density poly erasers work better too. I've gone through two erasers removing the print on 5 sand blue boot leg assemblies!

Lovely scene. Both boots look great, there was a variety back in those days so they make sense.

Also, I see that Captain Brickleton has made his way to Wild West. :grin:

7 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

Lovely scene. Both boots look great, there was a variety back in those days so they make sense.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

Also, I see that Captain Brickleton has made his way to Wild West. :grin:

Probably his grandson!

12 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Tracked down these blue pants with black boots that I think will look good once stripped of a pattern (or even the with the side pattern left on?). We'll see! https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=970c00pb1038&idColor=7

On 9/11/2021 at 9:55 PM, Ayrlego said:

I have a ton of these old style cavalry troopers - I should try a western themed build one of these days!!

Meant to add: would love to see this!

@evancelt Though both look pretty good, I also prefer the sand blue with black boots.

Even more-so than medium-blue, I think sand blue is more historically accurate to U.S. Wild-West/Civil War Union uniforms.  (The coats should be more dark/navy blue, too, though the medium blue works well enough).
One picture for reference:
union_uniforms_13147747523.jpg

On 9/11/2021 at 10:55 PM, Ayrlego said:

As I understand, nail-polish remover is typically acetone-based, and I believe acetone is an ABS solvent sometimes used to smooth ABS 3D-printed parts since it dissolves the surface bumps and irregularities when used as a weak vapor bath.  Too much acetone can definitely dissolve ABS irreparably.

If you want to remove print from ABS, I have heard of using "Brasso" metal polish and have tried this method with successful results.  Just apply the cleaner to the print-area you want removed and rub with a cloth or paper towel until print is removed (it usually takes a bit of time and some hard rubbing).  I have not used this method much, though, since I try to be mostly purist with my LEGO collection...

I have no personal experience with the eraser method that @evancelt uses to obvious success.

I think, like others, the sand blue looks better.

On 9/12/2021 at 5:55 AM, Ayrlego said:

....... I have a ton of these old style cavalry troopers - I should try a western themed build one of these days!!

OOOhh, jealous about that....! I'm glad to have a few blue cavalry hats with emblem and kepi's.