Sign in to follow this  
Kintobor

Heroica: Glory Amongst the Star - Mission#4: Dude, Where's My Space Speeder?

21 minutes ago, Zepher said:

"Hm. Probably. Don't love the sound of that, but I know you know yourself better than I. We will push forward for now, but do let me know if you need to stop!" Merei picks up the wrench and hands it to Bers. "Probably best he doesn't have this either. Ready whenever everyone else is!"

Bers accepts the wrench and as a sort of 'holster' looking compartment pops open on the side of his leg he puts the wrench in there.

"Alright, I will hold onto this wrench for now, perhaps it will come in handy later. Let's get to Melbrook Hights, are you ready friend Yissam♥ ?"

On 8/26/2021 at 7:28 PM, karmajay said:

"Otherwise I can certainly disable it. I've kind of learned a bit about explosions from my past history." Kirwin has a large smile on their face.

"My interest in you just skyrocketed, Kirwin...let's schedule an interview after this mission, hmm?"

21 hours ago, Zepher said:

"I would feel bad leaving him without a ride permanently... but I defer to your judgment."

"Oh, how else are we gonna teach him a listen? We won't be around to keep him from being rowdy anymore in just a few minutes! I certainly wouldn't mind taking apart his speeder, but if we are in a rush, I suppose we can leave it at this..."

Yissam♥ sizes up the greaser, then snaps another quick picture of his sweating, disheveled state.

"You're out of a job, kid. Try something a little bit more PR-friendly for moments like these! Like, hm, dogsitting? Lot of pets on this world, you know!

She winks at him.

"Maybe if you can promise you're on the straight and narrow, I'll be a mite more inclined to blur out some of this footage of you getting scared out of your pants by my friends here. What do you say?"

The greaser nods his head erratically.

51370473663_69449be7cf_o.jpg
"Y-y-yeah, alright, you won't see me around here again, I promise! J-just don't hurt me..." His voice trails off into a whimper.

5 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

The greaser nods his head erratically.

51370473663_69449be7cf_o.jpg
"Y-y-yeah, alright, you won't see me around here again, I promise! J-just don't hurt me..." His voice trails off into a whimper.

Yissam♥ grins, glowing with delight.

"Fantastic!! That's another win for us, then, gang. Let's get a move on, shall we?"

The Heroes

51260461662_82ed7809fe_t.jpg
Designation: B3R5 - 3rk (Dutch Thriceman)
Character Points: 1 / 11
Vitality: 6 / 6
Velocity: 2
Strength: 3
Skill: 2
Smarts: 1
Spirit: 1
Proficiencies: Melee Weapons 2, Intimidation 1, Athletics 1
Known Spells: None
Credits: 10
Equipment: Chain-Greatsword (Standard Kinetic Weapon) Mecha-Plate (Standard Kinetic Armour), Shield Booster

51313574008_4f02c70724_o.jpg
Merei Teo
Age 24 Female, Helioi-Touched Celestial (Born Menahi)
Character Points: 1/11
Vitality: 5/5
Velocity: 2
Strength: 1
Skill: 2
Smarts: 2
Spirit: 3/3
Proficiencies: Occult 1, Religion 1, Coding 1, Insight 1
Known Spells: Healing Light, Solar Flare, Gravity Sink
Credits: 0
Equipment: Teo Family Pocket-Watch (Kinetic Weapon), Utility Belt (Grants +1 Engineering or Medicine Check Success)
Inventory: Æther Brew, Essence of Intellect

hIJnvcns.jpg
Kirwin (karmajay)
Character Points: 2/11
Velocity: 1
Strength: 1
Skill: 1
Smarts: 3
Proficiencies: Coding 1, Culture 1, Engineering 2, Explosives 1, Technology 2 
Credits: 0
Equipment: Drone (Standard Long Range Elemental Weapon), Utility Belt
Inventory: (2) Hampering, Contained Elemental Grenades, Plasma Potion, Rusty Wrench (Standard Melee Kinetic Weapon)

51312754253_a894488f4d_t.jpg
Yissam♥ (CMP)
141-year-old feminine Stratitarian
Character Points: 1/11
Velocity: 1
Strength: 1
Skill: 1
Smarts: 2
Spirit: 3/3
Proficiencies:  Coding 1, Culture 2, Occult 1, Performance 1
Known Spells: Entropic Mending, Spirit Ally, Tongues
Credits: 10
Equipment: Prism Gauntlet (Standard long-range elemental weapon), AV Rig
Inventory: Essence of Glibness, Essence of Intellect

The heroes depart from the diner, with HYPE quickly glitching out and disappearing from reality. The greaser slumps to his knees on the floor, his paleness and sweating beginning to pass, but still too much in shock to get up. Flo watches their departure, nodding to them as they leave as she sweeps broken glass from the floor. The ringing of a bell attached to the door marks their exit from the Red Comet diner as they catch a bus and head east and lower into the city towards Melbrook Heights.

---

Taking an eastbound bus, the heroes soon come to understand that the city is as vast as it is deep, as the bus descends lower into the city. Buildings are stacked upon buildings, and as the bus takes them deeper into Cosmopoli's bowels, the city is lit less in the bright pale light of the moon and more by neon lights and harsh yellow street lamps. Coming to their stop, the heroes step off and come to Melbrook Heights a few minutes of walking later, a five story condominium complex built on top of a warehouse. Built on top of the condominium is another building, and on top of that building appears to be another, and on it goes until it reaches the city's heights. The sounds are amplified in the lower levels, as sputtering engines of speeders and the occasional heckle or shout bounce off the metal and concrete jungle the heroes found themselves in.

51409365898_e3e0826814_o.jpg

Melbrook Heights seems lucky enough to have a small lawn of astroturf, the green lawn looking somewhat unnatural in and among the city sprawl. A door into the complex lay before them, making it look more like a warehouse than a place of dwelling. A large iron fence sprawls up the building to the fifth floor, once like populated by plants, it is now barren. To the left a notice in holographic lights up the other side of the wall: "VACANT CONDO FOR RENT: APPLY INSIDE".

What would the heroes like to do?

Edited by Kintobor

OoC: Our spirit should be fully restored, right? Or do we just regain some after a fight?

"Unless anyone has any better ideas, I am going to go knock on that door right there," says Merei. She doesn't move quite yet, however, glancing around for both the others to stop her, and to see if there is anything that looks interesting to her - cameras, at the top of the trellis, people who are peeking their heads around alleyways or over ledges above.

1 hour ago, Zepher said:

OoC: Our spirit should be fully restored, right? Or do we just regain some after a fight?

"Unless anyone has any better ideas, I am going to go knock on that door right there," says Merei. She doesn't move quite yet, however, glancing around for both the others to stop her, and to see if there is anything that looks interesting to her - cameras, at the top of the trellis, people who are peeking their heads around alleyways or over ledges above.

MM Note: I know there was talk of making some tweaks to Spirit regeneration, and I know an updated rule book is coming down the pipeline very shortly, but for the time being I will return you to full health. You had time to rest on the bus ride over.

Merei Perception Check (DC: 1,3): (2,4,6) Two Successes

A closer inspection of the building warrants some interesting discoveries. The trellis is close enough to windows and balconies on the upper floors that one could, in theory, climb up the trellis and jump onto the balconies of the floors above. Looking along the condo's wall further, a lone camera stares at the party's direction, connected to the building. It seems to track their movement.

Edited by Kintobor

OoC: I think that's only two successes. :blush:

Merei lowers her voice and keeps her gaze focused on the door. "There is a camera tracking us, over that way. It may just be normal security. Might be something else. Kirwin, Yissam, any thoughts? Someone might be able to climb the trellis as well. Bers? Is that something you'd feel you're good at? I don't dislike the idea of approaching from many ways. If some people go up I can try the door and we can approach the problem from multiple directions."

7 minutes ago, Zepher said:

OoC: I think that's only two successes. :blush:

Merei lowers her voice and keeps her gaze focused on the door. "There is a camera tracking us, over that way. It may just be normal security. Might be something else. Kirwin, Yissam, any thoughts? Someone might be able to climb the trellis as well. Bers? Is that something you'd feel you're good at? I don't dislike the idea of approaching from many ways. If some people go up I can try the door and we can approach the problem from multiple directions."

MM Note: You are correct. I don't know how I did that, but the information you received is still correct: you got the info needed for getting one successful roll. :thumbup:

"This unit can handle climbing the trellis if need be, between the default Strength in my servos and the Dynamis.Co Athletics amplified leg mods I have installed it shouldn't be an issue. I might even be able to get to the beer... and of course more importantly speeder quicker."

It sounds like the beer the Greaser mentioned is actually Bers's priority at the moment, but only as long as it doesn't get in the way of retrieving the speeder (parts) as well.

Kirwin says "I'm not great at climbing but if you tell me what that security camera looks like up close I may be able to tell you how to trick it some way!" 

On 8/26/2021 at 8:14 AM, Kintobor said:

MM Note: I'll leave it up to you as a group to determine party leader.

After standing in front of the building for a while processors flaring on the side of Bers his head he finally decides to speak up.

"Friends, with how friend Merei has conducted herself during this assignment so far, I would like to suggest for her to take a leading role on this mission."

1 hour ago, Dutch Thriceman said:

"Friends, with how friend Merei has conducted herself during this assignment so far, I would like to suggest for her to take a leading role on this mission."

"Agreed! Fashionable, mysterious; she's positively candy for the camera!"

Yissam♥ winks at her Celestial ally, then lets her eyes travel up the bizarre hodgepodge of condos up to the third floor.

22 hours ago, Zepher said:

"Potentially. I should be here to back you up. It's quite late, and it would take a pret-ty sharp tongue to convince the landlord to let us look at the topmost condos. Maybe Bers can start climbing, and the rest of us can head inside? If the stairs are inside, I figure there ought to be a lobby."

Edited by CMP

"You are both too kind," Merei says to Bers and Yissam♥. "And Yissam♥, I was not proposing leaving anyone behind. I don't want to walk in alone. I asm simply trying to get the lay of the land. Raymond said this bottom floor was a warehouse. I guess the real question is how much pull Sid has here. Does he just own a room? Or would he have access to the camera? If it is the latter, and if we leave the camera as is, Bers will not be climbing up as a surprise but instead to a surprise: a person who knows he is coming. Although I may be over-complicating things. I'm happy, also, to simply allow them know of our approach. Whatever we do, that camera has spotted us, so let us do it quick. Kirwin, you may fidget with it if you like, as you seem to have an aptitude for it. Bers, you can climb, either before or after the camera is taken care of. Alternatively, I will be walking through that front door. We can all do that together if we like. But let us do it quickly, whatever it is we're doing."

3 hours ago, Dutch Thriceman said:

After standing in front of the building for a while processors flaring on the side of Bers his head he finally decides to speak up.

Kirwin signals agreement with a thumbs up.

Kirwin pulls a small screened device out of their utility belt and attempts to take over the camera. If successful they will program the camera to show that the team is not there. Also, Kirwin checks to see if there is any further ability to gain control of other systems through the camera connection.

Merei waits for Kirwin to finish with the camera, and for Bers to begin climbing, before she walks to the door and knocks on it, accompanied by Yissam♥ and Kirwin (once the latter is done rigging the camera).

5 hours ago, karmajay said:

Kirwin signals agreement with a thumbs up.

Kirwin pulls a small screened device out of their utility belt and attempts to take over the camera. If successful they will program the camera to show that the team is not there. Also, Kirwin checks to see if there is any further ability to gain control of other systems through the camera connection.

Kirwin Coding Proficiency Check (DC 2, 4): (1,2,3,5) One Success

Kirwin attempts to hack into the camera, finding it more difficult than they initially anticipated. After a few minutes of trying to control the camera but failing, they are locked out of the camera's security system.

MM Note: Since the rest of your actions were contingent on this one succeeding, I'll let you figure out what to do next.

“Well, that is that. Bers, if you climb, you will be seen. It may still be worthwhile. But there also might be danger, so it is your choice.” Regardless, Merei tries the door handle. If it is locked, she knocks. If it is open, she steps inside quietly.

Merei opens the door, holding onto the cold metal handle. As she steps inside, a loud electric buzzer echoes throughout the entrance lobby.

51409853264_d7ba1440ba_o.jpg

The lobby is much quieter than outside the building. The walls are decorated in an aging tan wallpaper, although it's entirely possible at one point they were white. At several places, the wallpaper peels back to reveal the aging metal used in the building's construction. Fake leafy plants sit in large pots by the entrance, covered in dust. The brown carpet has signs of spilled drinks and chemical stains caked into it with age, and a low humming noise reverberates throughout the lobby. There's a stiff, nose tingling odour in the air, similar to a hospital ward.

Against the back wall is a wooden desk, behind which is a valtar maintaining a small computer, his uniform too clean and tailored for his surroundings with a brightly polished name tag on his left breast. The headset on his head seemingly replaced his vision and hearing, a screen replacing where his eyes would be and large implants grafted onto the sides of his head. To his immediate left is a large golden bell, and to his right is a steaming mug. Behind him is a large collection of items, from a boombox and a water heater, to even a blaster pistol and a chainsaw. Why they were stacked behind him wasn't clear.

The heroes noticed a small terminal, an elevator, and a door beyond the elevator with a sign above it identifying it as a stairwell.

Merei steps forward and, feeling it's proper protocol, very very gingerly rings the bell next to the receptionist, trying her best to make as little noise as possible. "Hello," she says, her voice soft as well for no other reason than that's how she rang the bell. "My name is Merei. What is your name and how are you this evening?"

4 minutes ago, Zepher said:

Merei steps forward and, feeling it's proper protocol, very very gingerly rings the bell next to the receptionist, trying her best to make as little noise as possible. "Hello," she says, her voice soft as well for no other reason than that's how she rang the bell. "My name is Merei. What is your name and how are you this evening?"

The man behind the desk turns his head up to look at Merei, the screen looking into her eyes. He frowns.

51408347927_38f9d8de91_t.jpg
"Good evening, Merei." He speaking to the celestial in a slithering, monotone tone twinged with cool aloofness. It's obvious from this distance that the man is less a receptionist and more a security guard: his name tag reading Uliz Zrero : Brerer Security Solutions. "You may call me Uliz. I am the security officer here at Melbrook Heights. With what do I owe the... pleasure of assisting you with this evening?" He clasped his hands together on his desk and leaned forward, his voice dry with disinterest.

5 hours ago, Zepher said:

“Well, that is that. Bers, if you climb, you will be seen. It may still be worthwhile. But there also might be danger, so it is your choice.” Regardless, Merei tries the door handle. If it is locked, she knocks. If it is open, she steps inside quietly.

"It seems unwise to split up, too many unknown factors, the trellis may or may not come in handy later though."

Bers says decidedly as he quickly follows behind Merei inside.

3 hours ago, Kintobor said:

The man behind the desk turns his head up to look at Merei, the screen looking into her eyes. He frowns.

51408347927_38f9d8de91_t.jpg
"Good evening, Merei." He speaking to the celestial in a slithering, monotone tone twinged with cool aloofness. It's obvious from this distance that the man is less a receptionist and more a security guard: his name tag reading Uliz Zrero : Brerer Security Solutions. "You may call me Uliz. I am the security officer here at Melbrook Heights. With what do I owe the... pleasure of assisting you with this evening?" He clasped his hands together on his desk and leaned forward, his voice dry with disinterest.

"Greetings security friend, I am B3R5 - 3rk, have come to visit residents Sid and Mel. To share a couple of beers! Are they in?"

Bers says with a sense of urgency, beer urgency.