Sign in to follow this  
zinnn

Old monkey vs new monkey

So… the new monkey mould has been in for a while now, are you using it?  I haven’t bought it yet, may BrickLink it at some point but it still doesn’t convince me

22 hours ago, zinnn said:

So… the new monkey mould has been in for a while now, are you using it?  I haven’t bought it yet, may BrickLink it at some point but it still doesn’t convince me

I adore most animals but the monkey doesn't do anything for me. The pose just feels wrong. I'm going to stick to the classic monkey, regardless of scale. Maybe if the new one could swing from the rigging with a banana and a bottle of grog like the old ones I'd be more tempted...

I grapped the 30570 polybag because it was a great affordable way to get the new monkey. He looks really cute perched on Barracuda Bay, but for playability you just can't beat the old monkey. I suspect it's a case  of reducing the number of minifigures in a set--the new monkeys are basically elements, but the old monkeys require the size and parts of a minifigure. Ah well, variety is always good when it comes to animals...

The new monkey looks fine if it's any other toy. But to me, these animal redesigns have removed the "Lego" look altogether. It might as well be Mega Bloks. I hope this is not a complete replacement for the old monkey. If we start seeing this mold in pirate sets, I'll be very sad.

Best chance to see old monkey mold back would be if Ninjago made more Legacy sets, in particular Skybound,since that's the last time it was used in 2016 (until it retired in mid-2017), same season also used other pirate things.

2021 Ninjago Legacy remade 2015 sets, so if Legacy continues, 2016 should probably be next.

If the mould is in use, there's still chance to see it in more natural colors later.

6160963.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

On 4/6/2022 at 9:28 PM, TeriXeri said:

Best chance to see old monkey mold back would be if Ninjago made more Legacy sets, in particular Skybound,since that's the last time it was used in 2016 (until it retired in mid-2017), same season also used other pirate things.

2021 Ninjago Legacy remade 2015 sets, so if Legacy continues, 2016 should probably be next.

If the mould is in use, there's still chance to see it in more natural colors later.

Sadly I don't think they'd revive the old monkey even if they were literally doing piece-for-piece remakes of the old Ninjago sets a la 2002-era Legends. They have form: the cypress tree was replaced with a fruit tree for the 2003 reissue of Main Street (10041) despite the cypress tree having been released in a service pack just two years previously - the mould having presumably retired in the meantime. Much as the old monkey had more posability, I'm not aware of any sets which specifically required this added flexibility - if Lego ever found themselves re-releasing old material, it'd probably be cheaper for them to just include the new monkey.