Kdapt-Preacher

[MOC] KdaptPreacher's 1:1455 Fleet --- 207 ships and counting (New: MC30c Frigate)

Zyeh7i9.png

And here are the deployable legs that let the model can land the way it does in TCW. Unfortunately they don't really retract into the hull, but the model does include an internal compartment to store them when it's displayed on the stand. I think this model is probably finished now, but I'll have to test-build it IRL to make sure of that before I do anything else with it.

This disc shape has also been a good test run for the Hapan Battle Dragon I've been working on, which is basically the same thing at a slightly larger scale. I have a better idea now of what that'll end up looking like.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

Very nice. Did you decide against the smaller ships, or just didn't include them in the render since it had landed? I liked them, makes the ship look more "alive" with stuff buzzing around it. Maybe not the best for an organized imperial fleet, but certainly something Hondo's pirates would have.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Very nice. Did you decide against the smaller ships, or just didn't include them in the render since it had landed? I liked them, makes the ship look more "alive" with stuff buzzing around it. Maybe not the best for an organized imperial fleet, but certainly something Hondo's pirates would have.

They're just gone for that render since it's landed. I decided I like the effect too; it's not something I'd use all the time but it works well here. I still haven't physically built this model yet, so nothing's 100% final yet anyway though.

@Kdapt-Preacher is the UCS 75252 the best version of the Imperial Star Destroyer to display with your fleet? (and i dont mean just lego official sets. I would be interested in MOC's) I don't collect star wars cause there is to much, however i like your idea as its kind of a standalone project. Almost like i can collect star wars for this specific purpose and not unleash my lego demons which currently is limited to castle/pirates (i barely get approval from the wife as is on those). I really enjoyed your thread and work on the ships to match the scale, but i really do not like the UCS look of the ISD. I was wondering what your take on it is?

Edited by natesroom

1 hour ago, natesroom said:

@Kdapt-Preacher is the UCS 75252 the best version of the Imperial Star Destroyer to display with your fleet? (and i dont mean just lego official sets. I would be interested in MOC's) I don't collect star wars cause there is to much, however i like your idea as its kind of a standalone project. Almost like i can collect star wars for this specific purpose and not unleash my lego demons which currently is limited to castle/pirates (i barely get approval from the wife as is on those). I really enjoyed your thread and work on the ships to match the scale, but i really do not like the UCS look of the ISD. I was wondering what your take on it is?

Great question! The short answer is that there are several UCS ISD MOCs that would work well, so you have options. The target length for an ISD at this scale is 110 cm long, which is what 75252 is, but realistically you've got a fair bit of wiggle room there just because of how small most of my models are; even if you change the nominal scale by 10 or 15% most of them will still be within a stud of the correct length relative to the ISD. Onecase's Monarch and mortesv's Avenger are both in that range. Raskolnikov's Aggressor is a little bit smaller, but you probably wouldn't be able to notice without actually going over everything with a tape measure. I'm sure there are other options as well, but those are the three that I know off the top of my head.

I've actually been planning to publish some modifications to 75252 myself. I'd like to have both a slightly more accurate ISD1 and a full rebuild as an ISD2. But I do quite like the style of 75252, so that's going to be an upgrade package rather than a new build, keeping the structure and general aesthetics while mostly just shuffling surface details around to match the studio models better. I'm not going to be, for example, replacing all the plates with tiles or anything drastic like that, so if you don't like 75252 my versions probably won't be any better.

1 hour ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Great question! The short answer is that there are several UCS ISD MOCs that would work well, so you have options. The target length for an ISD at this scale is 110 cm long, which is what 75252 is, but realistically you've got a fair bit of wiggle room there just because of how small most of my models are; even if you change the nominal scale by 10 or 15% most of them will still be within a stud of the correct length relative to the ISD. Onecase's Monarch and mortesv's Avenger are both in that range. Raskolnikov's Aggressor is a little bit smaller, but you probably wouldn't be able to notice without actually going over everything with a tape measure. I'm sure there are other options as well, but those are the three that I know off the top of my head.

I've actually been planning to publish some modifications to 75252 myself. I'd like to have both a slightly more accurate ISD1 and a full rebuild as an ISD2. But I do quite like the style of 75252, so that's going to be an upgrade package rather than a new build, keeping the structure and general aesthetics while mostly just shuffling surface details around to match the studio models better. I'm not going to be, for example, replacing all the plates with tiles or anything drastic like that, so if you don't like 75252 my versions probably won't be any better.

Honestly the 75252 makes a good baseline - its only the little details that could use some work - just my two cents.

1 hour ago, Kage Goomba said:

Honestly the 75252 makes a good baseline - its only the little details that could use some work - just my two cents.

Yeah, 75252 isn't perfect, but it's quite good. Especially given that you can get it for a fraction of what any of those other models would cost. Most of the community seems to prefer things to be as studless as possible, but I've never really agreed with that; the style used for 75252 is much closer to my personal preference. The only changes I want to make to it are things like adding the additional brim armor that ISD1s have, replacing the couple of flat silver pieces with LBG, working on a few places where it would benefit from pieces that've been introduced since it was released (like the new 2x6 wedge plates), and so forth.

There is also the Eviscerator from 2mpaired! It has the same size as the Monarch! I will load up some pictures of my Eviscerator chasing the Rebel Fleet within the next days!

8 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Thank you for that in depth reply. I dont really dislike 75252, but i think i may feel like you, and it may need modification.

Actually i just went and looked and yes i do desire the monarch or the avenger style more then 75252. However it might be worth buying just to have 5000 pieces on hand, lol. Maybe one day you'll do star trek ships in scale with the ISD, lol... 

Edited by natesroom

24 minutes ago, natesroom said:

Thank you for that in depth reply. I dont really dislike 75252, but i think i may feel like you, and it may need modification.

Actually i just went and looked and yes i do desire the monarch or the avenger style more then 75252. However it might be worth buying just to have 5000 pieces on hand, lol. Maybe one day you'll do star trek ships in scale with the ISD, lol... 

I'll admit that I have on occasion thought about building some non-Star Wars ships. I'm not as big a fan of Star Trek as I am of Star Wars, but "not as big a fan" is relative here; I have seen every episode, and the Romulan D'deridex-class is one of my favorite ships in all of sci fi. But I just know that if I ever made any of them I'd be committed, and then it's a short step to thinking "Hey, the Pillar of Autumn would look really good next to these", and suddenly I'm on a very dark road, LMAO. Safer to stick to Star Wars and not go down that rabbit hole. Plus, Federation ships are all curvy and hard to build.

2 hours ago, natesroom said:

true that...lol. Maybe just the borg cube, lol

The Borg cube is over 3km on a side. That's more than two meters at this scale, almost twice as long as the ISD. It would be a structurally simple build, in some sense, but not something you could easily keep in your house. Not as crazy as Executor, but not exactly a 'just', either, LMAO.

really? didnt realize it was that big comparitively. I know they look like they are 20 times larger then the enterprise, and now i see the ENT in comparison to the ISD it makes sense. Guess Pillar of Autumn work fine though!

16 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I'll admit that I have on occasion thought about building some non-Star Wars ships. I'm not as big a fan of Star Trek as I am of Star Wars, but "not as big a fan" is relative here; I have seen every episode, and the Romulan D'deridex-class is one of my favorite ships in all of sci fi. But I just know that if I ever made any of them I'd be committed, and then it's a short step to thinking "Hey, the Pillar of Autumn would look really good next to these", and suddenly I'm on a very dark road, LMAO. Safer to stick to Star Wars and not go down that rabbit hole. Plus, Federation ships are all curvy and hard to build.

Heaven help me if you ever dip into Star Trek. I already don't have space for all my Trek ships, but I'd still build any and all that you designed lol.

16 minutes ago, Geihlen said:

Heaven help me if you ever dip into Star Trek. I already don't have space for all my Trek ships, but I'd still build any and all that you designed lol.

Pics or they don't exist, lol!

16 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

The Borg cube is over 3km on a side. That's more than two meters at this scale, almost twice as long as the ISD. It would be a structurally simple build, in some sense, but not something you could easily keep in your house. Not as crazy as Executor, but not exactly a 'just', either, LMAO.

Borg Cube would be boring - structurally a Cube is the easiest to build - short of the "Greebling" on the surface to make it entertaining - the Executor would get more attention easily.

So for background here, I'm into a lot of sci fi and really really like the whole idea of scale ships, enough so that I had this image printed as a poster for the wall of my college dorm room. I'm not a fan of all of the series represented there, but I would say that I'm into enough of them that certainly more than half the ships on that chart would be at least potentially fair game. If I had infinite time and LEGOs, after I finished Star Wars to my satisfaction I would probably run through something like Mass Effect, Halo, Star Trek, BSG, X3, Warhammer 40K, Babylon 5, and Stargate in that order, and then I'd see how I was feeling from there, plus various miscellaneous things (like, just yesterday I was looking up how big Subnautica's Aurora is). But I'm way more into Star Wars than I am into any of those other series, and giving that I unfortunately do not have unlimited time it's extremely unlikely that I'm ever going to feel like I've made all the ships I want to in that line. It's not out of the question that I'll branch into something else at some point (if I ever think of a good-looking way to make the Destiny Ascension...), but I have no plans to do so any time soon. As you guys may have noticed, I'm something of a completionist; I'm not joking when I say that if I made one Star Trek ship I would feel compelled to make all of them, and given that I've already crossed that bridge with Star Wars I think I have about as much as I can handle for the moment, LMAO.

9 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

So for background here, I'm into a lot of sci fi and really really like the whole idea of scale ships, enough so that I had this image printed as a poster for the wall of my college dorm room. I'm not a fan of all of the series represented there, but I would say that I'm into enough of them that certainly more than half the ships on that chart would be at least potentially fair game. If I had infinite time and LEGOs, after I finished Star Wars to my satisfaction I would probably run through something like Mass Effect, Halo, Star Trek, BSG, X3, Warhammer 40K, Babylon 5, and Stargate in that order, and then I'd see how I was feeling from there, plus various miscellaneous things (like, just yesterday I was looking up how big Subnautica's Aurora is). But I'm way more into Star Wars than I am into any of those other series, and giving that I unfortunately do not have unlimited time it's extremely unlikely that I'm ever going to feel like I've made all the ships I want to in that line. It's not out of the question that I'll branch into something else at some point (if I ever think of a good-looking way to make the Destiny Ascension...), but I have no plans to do so any time soon. As you guys may have noticed, I'm something of a completionist; I'm not joking when I say that if I made one Star Trek ship I would feel compelled to make all of them, and given that I've already crossed that bridge with Star Wars I think I have about as much as I can handle for the moment, LMAO.

Don't you DARE give up on the Executor - I will literally harass you to your dying days for it lol.

In all seriousness - I eagerly await your creations all the same.

I just wanted to add that this is my favorite ongoing project in the forum. I know completionism can become a hindrance, but it does make for a really nice collection of micro-scaled ships.

18 hours ago, Kage Goomba said:

Don't you DARE give up on the Executor - I will literally harass you to your dying days for it lol.

In all seriousness - I eagerly await your creations all the same.

On 8/23/2022 at 5:14 PM, natesroom said:

keep up the good work!

10 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I just wanted to add that this is my favorite ongoing project in the forum. I know completionism can become a hindrance, but it does make for a really nice collection of micro-scaled ships.

I appreciate both the kind words and the threats. Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. I actually have multiple models that I've finished and haven't posted yet, but I'm desperately trying to get ready in time for DragonCon next week (oh god, it's next week) and probably won't be able to do much with them until maybe the second week of September. However I do expect to have a fun announcement in a couple of days (not Executor).

14 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I appreciate both the kind words and the threats. Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. I actually have multiple models that I've finished and haven't posted yet, but I'm desperately trying to get ready in time for DragonCon next week (oh god, it's next week) and probably won't be able to do much with them until maybe the second week of September. However I do expect to have a fun announcement in a couple of days (not Executor).

Boooooo..yaaaaaay....boooo....whooohoooo

I'm so confused.

:)

21 minutes ago, Kage Goomba said:

Boooooo..yaaaaaay....boooo....whooohoooo

I'm so confused.

:)

You've already seen the announcement on Discord, so you have no right to be confused. But it'll be a couple days until they're finalized and ready to actually announce.

5 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

You've already seen the announcement on Discord, so you have no right to be confused. But it'll be a couple days until they're finalized and ready to actually announce.

Oh let me have my fun. :)