Kdapt-Preacher

[MOC] KdaptPreacher's 1:1455 Fleet --- 206 ships and counting (New: Ahsoka's Shuttle, Fondor Haulcraft)

5 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

GECHpaT.png

Basic structure of the ventral surface. Obviously lots of greebly work to do on the central bit and in the hangar, but I think this is about what the ventral hull armor needs to look like. This is the RotS version; the TCW version is very similar from this view but will have the brim notch much further back.

Looking great, any plans to build this one?

11 hours ago, Starwarsfan12346 said:

Your Venator is looking great! It’s been really cool to see your WIP photos and how it’s all coming together. Can’t wait to build it

Thank you!

7 hours ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Looking great, any plans to build this one?

Yes. I build all my models--Stud.io is great, but I'm never fully confident in the engineering until I've seen it IRL, and I always catch stuff in-person that I didn't notice digitally. However, I've recently moved to Australia and no longer have easy access to my parts collection, so it'll be a while before I can do so. Once I'm finished with this I may go ahead and put the Stud.io file up for download so folks can play around with it if they want, but I'll have to hold off on officially publishing it for at least a couple of months, I think.

WToAqrc.png

Side hangar size and positioning. The doors do slide open and there's enough room to land the Twilight in there. Of course I'm not sure you could really see it without shining a flashlight in there; the display value is pretty marginal. But it's the thought that counts!

As of today this has finally passed the Class 4 container transport's piece count and is officially the largest model I've designed, so that's a bit of a milestone. It's going to be a fairly complex assembly process, I think, just in terms of the number of separate units attaching onto this central core. I'm going to have to put a fair bit of thought into what order the sections need to go on. I think the order is going to be something like central center --> dorsal center --> ventral center --> stand --> ventral hull --> hangars --> engines --> greebly panels --> dorsal hull --> command tower, but there's going to have to be some finicking there.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

1 hour ago, JaCor653 said:

It would be cool to see what the Venator looks like so far next to the Imperial Star Destroyer.

Your wish is my command:

Spoiler

BlroohJ.pngDhv0fkv.png

The ISD is comically larger. 1600 vs 1137 meters doesn't sound like a huge difference on paper, but when you factor in the Venator's narrower frame it ends up being a *much* smaller ship, maybe 20% of the ISD's volume. The upside of that, of course, is that this model will be much easier to fit on a shelf.

31 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Your wish is my command:

Hide contents

BlroohJ.pngDhv0fkv.png

The ISD is comically larger. 1600 vs 1137 meters doesn't sound like a huge difference on paper, but when you factor in the Venator's narrower frame it ends up being a *much* smaller ship, maybe 20% of the ISD's volume. The upside of that, of course, is that this model will be much easier to fit on a shelf.

@JaCor653 He always builds to scale of the UCS ISD - not sure if that was called out. :)

The Venator looks awesome! are you planning on making a Recusant or other CIS ships down the line? or maybe a Resurgent-class?

6 minutes ago, The-yukio said:

The Venator looks awesome! are you planning on making a Recusant or other CIS ships down the line? or maybe a Resurgent-class?

CIS ships, definitely. I have Stud.io files open for a Munificent and a Lucrehulk core ship already, although both of those are in very early stages and not even really prototypes yet. (Although I should note that I have files open for a lot of things, and some of them have been open for literally years, so don't read too much into. But I'm aware of them and do have plans.) The Resurgent is a beautiful ship, but it's huge, almost twice as long as the ISD, and the flatter proportions and the negative space near the bow would make it a very difficult model structurally, so I don't think it's practical for the near future. I might eventually get there, but we're a long way off from that. I'd definitely want to have both a Lucrehulk and an RotJ-scaled Home One done before trying anything else in the 3km range.

I dunno. My plans somewhat exceed my ability to actually produce models. I mean, I'm talking about 3km ships when I don't even have a 1km ship actually published yet. We'll see what happens! I am eternally optimistic. But don't hold your breath, especially if you've been waiting for a Dreadnought since I first said I was working on one back some time in early 2021...

3 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

CIS ships, definitely. I have Stud.io files open for a Munificent and a Lucrehulk core ship already, although both of those are in very early stages and not even really prototypes yet. (Although I should note that I have files open for a lot of things, and some of them have been open for literally years, so don't read too much into. But I'm aware of them and do have plans.) The Resurgent is a beautiful ship, but it's huge, almost twice as long as the ISD, and the flatter proportions and the negative space near the bow would make it a very difficult model structurally, so I don't think it's practical for the near future. I might eventually get there, but we're a long way off from that. I'd definitely want to have both a Lucrehulk and an RotJ-scaled Home One done before trying anything else in the 3km range.

I dunno. My plans somewhat exceed my ability to actually produce models. I mean, I'm talking about 3km ships when I don't even have a 1km ship actually published yet. We'll see what happens! I am eternally optimistic. But don't hold your breath, especially if you've been waiting for a Dreadnought since I first said I was working on one back some time in early 2021...

Yeah, the Resurgent would be around 6-7 feet long. And the Dreadnought would be awesome, although I can see that its shape would be hard to reciprocate. Perhaps the New Republic cruiser in Ahsoka would be a good one, it looks around 900-1000ish meters and kinda similar to a scaled-up MC30C.

33 minutes ago, The-yukio said:

Yeah, the Resurgent would be around 6-7 feet long. And the Dreadnought would be awesome, although I can see that its shape would be hard to reciprocate. Perhaps the New Republic cruiser in Ahsoka would be a good one, it looks around 900-1000ish meters and kinda similar to a scaled-up MC30C.

I saw someone on Twitter estimate it at around 1200 meters

5 minutes ago, Starwarsfan12346 said:

I'm just estimating with Home One's length of 1300 meters, and these seem a good bit shorter than Home One. I could be and am probably wrong cuz I'm not an expert.

3 hours ago, The-yukio said:

Yeah, the NR cruiser is on my radar. I'm going to wait until the show is over so I know what information we're working with, but it looks like it would make a very nice model. I haven't done the math for the scaling myself yet, but I agree that it's in the ballpark of 1000 meters. We should be cautious of comparing it to Home One, though, since there are a bunch of issues around how larger that's supposed to be. I'd probably start with the scene in the first episode of the Eta-class shuttle entering the cruiser's hangar; there ought to be enough information there to make a pretty good guess.

On the subject of Ahsoka, I also rather like that big hyperspace ring. It looks like it's about the right size to dock an ISD, and I've been thinking about what that model would need to look like. The ring itself is easy enough, but the question is whether you could make it sturdy enough to support the whole ISD model and just have the visible stand at the bottom of the ring, or whether you'd need to extend at least part of the ISD's stand high enough to let the ring ride underneath. I think having the ISD's stand be like 20cm taller would look kinda ridiculous, but if it was just resting on the ring it would be hard to keep it from tipping over. I imagine we'll get more information about that in the next couple of episodes.

4 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Yeah, the NR cruiser is on my radar. I'm going to wait until the show is over so I know what information we're working with, but it looks like it would make a very nice model. I haven't done the math for the scaling myself yet, but I agree that it's in the ballpark of 1000 meters. We should be cautious of comparing it to Home One, though, since there are a bunch of issues around how larger that's supposed to be. I'd probably start with the scene in the first episode of the Eta-class shuttle entering the cruiser's hangar; there ought to be enough information there to make a pretty good guess.

On the subject of Ahsoka, I also rather like that big hyperspace ring. It looks like it's about the right size to dock an ISD, and I've been thinking about what that model would need to look like. The ring itself is easy enough, but the question is whether you could make it sturdy enough to support the whole ISD model and just have the visible stand at the bottom of the ring, or whether you'd need to extend at least part of the ISD's stand high enough to let the ring ride underneath. I think having the ISD's stand be like 20cm taller would look kinda ridiculous, but if it was just resting on the ring it would be hard to keep it from tipping over. I imagine we'll get more information about that in the next couple of episodes.

Man a Lego Chimera docking on a hyperspace ring would be awesome! Will you make an ISD-I/ISD-II mod to go with it? I saw someone build on the Star Destroyer’s panels to get the Chimera design

2 minutes ago, Starwarsfan12346 said:

Man a Lego Chimera docking on a hyperspace ring would be awesome! Will you make an ISD-I/ISD-II mod to go with it? I saw someone build on the Star Destroyer’s panels to get the Chimera design

Yes, I've been planning to post some modifications to 75252 to make it align better with both an ISD1 and an ISD2 for a while. There are pictures of my ISD2 octuple turret design somewhere in this thread, and last year some time I did about half of the work that I'd like to in reworking 75252's terrace area to match the ISD2's gun pit structure thing. 75252 is already a pretty good match for an ISD1 and I don't think it needs *too* much modification, but I'd like to add the heavier brim armor and a few other features that differentiate between it and the ISD2, and there are a few other tweaks that I think it could use (like, it has a couple of spots that would benefit from the new 6x2 wedge plates that didn't exist when it was designed, for example). Honestly, the biggest hurdle to publishing that is figuring out how to make the instructions for it--I already have a Stud.io file of 75252, but I really don't want to have to go through that and recreate the entire instruction manual, and I'm not sure how else to do it. Maybe just a bunch of screenshots with labels like "remove all the bricks marked in red" or something, but that's not a very clean way to handle it.

I would definitely include Chimaera, since that isn't much additional work. Besides the hull paint it has a couple other differences from the regular ISD that would need to be included. We'll have to see what it looks like in Ahsoka, assuming it shows up--the official word in Rebels is that it's an ISD1 structurally that's been modified with some ISD2 features, most prominently the weapons; but at the moment Disney only has one screen-grade ISD model (they've been using the ISD1 they made for Rogue One for every appearance since then), so I'll be curious to see how much VFX work they put into translating that.

5 hours ago, Starwarsfan12346 said:

Using the Eta-class and X-wing in the cruiser hanger and counting spaces on a screen, yeah the cruiser does look about 1200 meters.

1 hour ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

The Chimera and Eye of Sion would look awesome. The ring might not be able to support it by itself, perhaps the ring plus an additional stand on the aft of the Chimera would suffice, depending on how far back they put the ring on it.

rvGzE12.png

Quick and dirty comparison of the two different hangar styles, with RotS on the left and TCW on the right. Whether that section is flat or angled is a fairly subtle distinction, but it implies that that area is constructed quite differently on the two versions. Note that this is definitely not the final version of either of those--I haven't done any of the greebling on the hull yet, and I'm not very satisfied with the TCW doors at the moment. That right angle in there is necessary to attach the door but makes it look bad when opened. I might end up having the doors just sit in place via gravity rather than actually being attached. Not very elegant, but it would work well enough here, I think. I'll continue workshopping it.

M69RkrN.png

Engine detailing isn't final (and in particular the two largest engines there are identical, which they won't be on the final model), but this gives a sense of the size and positioning. The model suddenly feels much more solid now that the engines are there, maybe just because that was the last big gap in the hull. I'm going to have to shuffle some stuff around internally, since the frame that holds the engines in place needs to go right where one of the supports for the ventral hull currently is, but I think it's going to work out pretty well. I'm currently debating the shape of the fantail; the vast majority of Venator MOCs just make that basically a rectangle, but really it ought to taper a little bit. Not sure yet whether the added complexity of that is going to be worth the slightly more accurate shape.

1 minute ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

M69RkrN.png

Engine detailing isn't final (and in particular the two largest engines there are identical, which they won't be on the final model), but this gives a sense of the size and positioning. The model suddenly feels much more solid now that the engines are there, maybe just because that was the last big gap in the hull. I'm going to have to shuffle some stuff around internally, since the frame that holds the engines in place needs to go right where one of the supports for the ventral hull currently is, but I think it's going to work out pretty well. I'm currently debating the shape of the fantail; the vast majority of Venator MOCs just make that basically a rectangle, but really it ought to taper a little bit. Not sure yet whether the added complexity of that is going to be worth the slightly more accurate shape.

whoa

On 9/16/2023 at 2:38 PM, Kdapt-Preacher said:

The Recusant isn't THAT big. At least, not most versions of it. It's only about 1,200 meters, you're thinking of the upscaled dreadnaught size one I think, which is over 2.5k meters. Both the Recusant and Providence have "dreadnaught" versions, which are basically just 2x scaled up versions of their more mass-produced design, used for command ships. I guess that gives some precedent for the Xyston's weird 50%-scaled-up-ISD look that I've always hated lol. But the base model is only slightly bigger than the Venator, and without any internal hangar, you could probably just make a very solid technic spine to base the whole thing on.

1 hour ago, Iperial_Fleet_Commander said:

The Recusant isn't THAT big. At least, not most versions of it. It's only about 1,200 meters, you're thinking of the upscaled dreadnaught size one I think, which is over 2.5k meters. Both the Recusant and Providence have "dreadnaught" versions, which are basically just 2x scaled up versions of their more mass-produced design, used for command ships. I guess that gives some precedent for the Xyston's weird 50%-scaled-up-ISD look that I've always hated lol. But the base model is only slightly bigger than the Venator, and without any internal hangar, you could probably just make a very solid technic spine to base the whole thing on.

Different ship—we’re talking about the First Order’s Resurgent-class SDs, which definitely are that big. The CIS Recusant-class is much more practical, since it’s basically all just a bunch of greebling around a central spine; I don’t have any structural concerns about that model. I do not like the upscaled versions, though. That was a grievous (ha!) sin on the part of TCW.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

4 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Different ship—we’re talking about the First Order’s Resurgent-class SDs, which definitely are that big. The CIS Recusant-class is much more practical, since it’s basically all just a bunch of greebling around a central spine; I don’t have any structural concerns about that model. I do not like the upscaled versions, though. That was a grievous (ha!) sin on the part of TCW.

Ah, whoops. It's kinda late, I musta missread it lol.

On 9/17/2023 at 1:05 PM, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Yes, I've been planning to post some modifications to 75252 to make it align better with both an ISD1 and an ISD2 for a while. There are pictures of my ISD2 octuple turret design somewhere in this thread, and last year some time I did about half of the work that I'd like to in reworking 75252's terrace area to match the ISD2's gun pit structure thing. 75252 is already a pretty good match for an ISD1 and I don't think it needs *too* much modification, but I'd like to add the heavier brim armor and a few other features that differentiate between it and the ISD2, and there are a few other tweaks that I think it could use (like, it has a couple of spots that would benefit from the new 6x2 wedge plates that didn't exist when it was designed, for example). Honestly, the biggest hurdle to publishing that is figuring out how to make the instructions for it--I already have a Stud.io file of 75252, but I really don't want to have to go through that and recreate the entire instruction manual, and I'm not sure how else to do it. Maybe just a bunch of screenshots with labels like "remove all the bricks marked in red" or something, but that's not a very clean way to handle it.

I would definitely include Chimaera, since that isn't much additional work. Besides the hull paint it has a couple other differences from the regular ISD that would need to be included. We'll have to see what it looks like in Ahsoka, assuming it shows up--the official word in Rebels is that it's an ISD1 structurally that's been modified with some ISD2 features, most prominently the weapons; but at the moment Disney only has one screen-grade ISD model (they've been using the ISD1 they made for Rogue One for every appearance since then), so I'll be curious to see how much VFX work they put into translating that.

For such a small change to a massive design that already has it's own instructions, what if you let stud.io create it's own instructions from the ISD-II file (weird as they might be) or create instructions for only the replacement parts and show what they should replace on 75252?

Also, welcome to Australia!

5 hours ago, rocka5438 said:

For such a small change to a massive design that already has it's own instructions, what if you let stud.io create it's own instructions from the ISD-II file (weird as they might be) or create instructions for only the replacement parts and show what they should replace on 75252?

Also, welcome to Australia!

That's a good thought, but Stud.io just locked up when I asked it to make instructions for the whole ISD. 4800 pieces may be a little bit more than it was bargaining for! I'll try letting it crunch on that overnight some time and see if it gets anywhere. For the ISD2 mod it's probably not a huge deal, since I figure anybody looking at doing that is probably starting with an assembled copy of 75252 anyway, so they'd probably be better off with just a bunch of images like "remove all the bricks marked in red in this picture", or even just working off the Stud.io files directly (although I've had people who've had trouble opening Stud.io files for various reasons, so I'd want there to be a .pdf of some sort). The issue comes in more with something like the Errant Venture, where it'd be structurally almost (but not quite!) identical to 75252 but would require a complete rebuild to switch the entire hull to red, and it'd be a huge pain to try to figure out as you were building it whether each piece you were adding was going to be visible on the outside and needed to be swapped. If I'm ever planning to do that, I should just bite the bullet and recreate the instructions for the base set, so I'll have them and can use them for future projects. I mean, I already recreated the entire set in Stud.io, which was definitely more work than making instructions for it would be, so mostly my reluctance is just me being annoyed with myself that I didn't divide it into steps the first time around. I'll get around to it eventually. That'd be something to do on a long plane flight or something where I didn't have any other entertainment.

Thank you! Australia is nice. There are a lot of very interesting crabs here!

15 minutes ago, Starwarsfan12346 said:

If you’re making an ISD mod, are you considering making a scaled up version for the Allegiance?

Spoiler

2F2vnZN.png

The answer to "Are you considering..." is almost always yes, LMAO. An Allegiance is kind of the obvious place to go, especially since it doesn't even have a hangar or anything, so in some sense it would be a pretty easy modification. But I don't have the parts or the space to build it, even at home, so I don't have any immediate means to pursue that further than the scale mockup in that image that I did a while ago.

5 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:
  Reveal hidden contents

2F2vnZN.png

The answer to "Are you considering..." is almost always yes, LMAO. An Allegiance is kind of the obvious place to go, especially since it doesn't even have a hangar or anything, so in some sense it would be a pretty easy modification. But I don't have the parts or the space to build it, even at home, so I don't have any immediate means to pursue that further than the scale mockup in that image that I did a while ago.

Speaking of images, on Imgur I looked up your account and only found 2 images, and I’ve seen your Secutor and Dreadnought on Imgur but couldn’t follow you for some reason. Is there any where else you post your renders? Allegiance looks sick btw