Axelford

MOC: The Mata Nui Robot

Hello denizens of Eurobricks! This MOC was started about February 2019 but I got stuck on the head and lost my files, I started again last October and finished it around the last day of the year. I figured although this creation is from the Bionicle universe (well it kind of is the universe) it is a sci-fi creation and a system build so it goes here :classic: I'm quite proud of it as it's my first build using Bricklink Studio and I definitely am going to do most of my building (or at least planning and part budgeting) in Studio from now on.

1126020369_GSRdefined.jpg.e1ad4e96c19d8e43e4c3b68a719c3d78.jpg

MNRscalecomp1.jpg.d85fbc5cc866e3b185414536b1ffc455.jpg

Edit: added the scale comparison photo.

Here's the link to the ideas page that has views of the other sides: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/0c310848-b5eb-4d71-85b6-258bc99b0b73

One area I definitely need to fix is the spine-which has numerous collisions due to how difficult flex hoses are to work with in Studio.

After the last update it numbers 1984 parts, happy to hear any advice from those experienced with mechs etc or who have ideas for additions :laugh:

Edited by Axelford

Updated the head and I think it looks a lot better now. 

MNR_FFrl_6.jpg.c167d47358e849ad2acefa67882b9adf.jpg

For some reason I can only import super compressed pictures which is a shame. Anyways surely head on down to Lego Ideas to support! :pir-skel:

This should have been posted in the LEGO Action Figures category, but I can understand posting it in here because this sub forum is a lot more active and more people will see it.

:sceptic: Yeah I was hoping to advertise to a slightly different group, I have a feeling those in actions figures will have already seen it elsewhere.

It kind of reminds me of the Iron Giant (form the movie) and some sort of Storm Giant (you know from some D&D game). Well from the first picture any ways. 

(sorry for the slight bump, just couldn't help but leave a comment!)

Just supported at 6,077. I'll repeat what I said on Ideas:

I remember the big surprise in late 2008 when this huge robot broke through the surface of the island of Mata Nui as revealed in the video from that time. (It rocked my world to think the last seven years of Bionicle had been on / inside a giant mechanical being, to say the least) And then the eyes shifted from green to red: everybody knew what that meant...

Here is my EB-exclusive thoughts on the actual model: 

This model is awesome. It invokes many memories of that era when Lego could pull off a MASSIVE story reveal without it being spoiled 2 months or more in advance. It also tells the sad tale of the start of the end of G1 Bionicle: at this point, it had a year-and-a-half left to live, and was probably already being replaced by Hero Factory at least in the set design department. (It does take two years to design them after all!)

But at least in that moment of late 2008, we were not thinking of that far-off horizon of the Chronicle's End in 2010. We were just wondering "HOW could they top that next year!?" In mid-2009, we would know who Mata Nui really was, where he came from, and (eventually in early 2010) where he was going.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, @Axelford. I hope your project makes it to it's Destiny of 10,000 votes!

Edited by Murdoch17

Thank for sharing your thoughts, I'm glad to hear it brings back memories. Yes it is interesting thinking that already TLG was developing a less story intensive range to be a successor. I hope to that it can reach 10,000 votes...although the odds are not in it's favour considering 2 out of 50 seem to get picked. Still, making it to the finish line would still be a win.