evancelt

Imperial Fort Wall Texture Techniques

I have seen a number of MODs to imperial fort sets recently on social media and they often use the newer LEGO masonry profile bricks to add some color to the plain white walls.

Over the past few years I have learned a number of fun wall texture techniques from @Ayrlego and others and I wanted to share more about how to use them!

Often combining one or more of these techniques can make the walls look more natural.

fort-wall-1.jpg

When using 1x white bricks, I think using small 1x2 and 1x3 bricks looks more natural than larger 1x4, 1x6, or 1x8.

fort-wall-2.jpg

Using masonry profile, log profile, or line profile bricks can add surface roughness to the wall.

fort-wall-3.jpg

By using 1x2 non-white plates (tans here), you can add some random color shapes to the wall. This is my favorite wall texture technique.

fort-wall-4.jpg

Jumper plates positioned halfway into the wall can be used to stick partway out and add some depth. 1x2 rail plates can add larger extrusions. Jumper plates can also be used to inset windows slightly back into the wall.

fort-wall-5.jpg

1x1 round plates and round bricks can break up the monotony of a wall. I especially like 1x1 plates because they add small details.

fort-wall-6.jpg

SNOT bricks can be added to the wall and 1x1 and 1x2 tiles can be attached on the outside of the wall. Headlight bricks can be turned on the their side to include a LEGO stud-sized circle protrusion from the wall.

naval-intelligence-office-1.jpg

In the recent Naval Intelligence Office in Port Woodhouse MOC I made, I combined the techniques described above to try to add some natural textures to the wall. Colored 1x2 plates attached to the top/bottom of masonry bricks help make them blend in more naturally.

farm-2.jpg

If you add a whole bunch of tile protrusions from the walls, it can give it a rougher style texture. This cottage is from a recent Produce Farm MOC build.

Hopefully some of these techniques can help add new details to your imperial fort walls in your next build!

Edited by evancelt

Thank you for providing these interesting techniques. This gives me couple ideas for a watchtower I've been thinking of building recently.:thumbup: