Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

5 minutes ago, Prometheus87 said:

I guess it matters what sets from 2018-2020 line will still be on the market for the entire year and well into 2022. If they extend those that time, and have a lot of older playsets still out, then they have struck a balance with the Fall 2021 wave. 

I wish I could tell, I'm still convinced there's been some kind of staff change in the HP department at Lego, and either some designers changed or some mid-level managers in HP department changed. 

I feel like 2021 might be evidence of the effort to change what was planned to be a theme with a typical four year life into an evergreen/ongoing one.  Speculation time.

2018:  Lego has something like a two year development cycle if I recall so after 2018 Harry Potter crushes their expectations they look at their roadmap and realize the 2018 Hogwarts connectable castle will be complete or getting into too obscure areas in three years if they want it to be evergreen. 

2019: They tack on a few big new items in the design pipeline like diagon alley and buildable Hedwig that probably weren't in the initial design plan, but then instead of following their roadmap for 2021 set design they shift back their 2021 initial plan (DH, more Hogwarts expansions) and throw everything they can think of at the wall for 2021 to see what sticks.  (Moments, Buildable figures, very modularized castle interiors that can be pumped out for a long time and hit on anniversary nostalgia).  This also possibly is dovetailed with delaying FB3 sets.

2020 - 2021;  Shift back to the initial roadmap for 2022 and 2023 set design. (Gringotts, 2018 Hogwarts line continued).

2022;  Use the learnings from 2020 and 2021 sales to develop the 2024 and ongoing life of the theme based on whatever worked.

42 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Mine are:

1. The Chamber of Secrets: The Basilisk, Pixie(s), Sinestra, and Lockhart are enough to put this set in the top spot :classic:
  2. Hogsmeade: Best build by far, but the minifig selection is pretty boring, even with 3 brand-new characters
  3. Polyjuice potion: Not much to write home about build-wise, but Crabbe & Goyle (sort of) + Cat!Hermione are excellent additions

Mine are similar 

1. Hogsmeade - absolute fan of the Wintery kinds of sets and will be a great addition to the Winter Village theme at Christmas. 
  2. Chamber of Secrets - For all Lego-Freak said
  3. Polyjuice Potion - fan of cats and wanting the Cat Herimone and having Crabbe and Goyle make this an instant buy even if it is oddly shaped set build-wise. 

Chess Set may knock Polyjuice, but i want to at least see a Preliminary. 

Hermione seems a bit unpopular in this thread. As a young gay kid who didn't fit in she was always my favourite. And now, as an adult, she still is probably my favourite literary creation.  :purrr:

Edited by BrickFunatic

Just now, Prometheus87 said:

Chess Set may knock Polyjuice, but i want to at least see a Preliminary. 

The chess set has ZERO potential for interesting minifigs (if it even includes any), which is why it stands no chance to enter my top 3. Top 5 maybe :tongue:

3 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

The chess set has ZERO potential for interesting minifigs (if it even includes any), which is why it stands no chance to enter my top 3. Top 5 maybe :tongue:

Yeah falconfan said chess set includes minimum amount of figures. Wouldn't be surprised if it includes only Trio lol. Or just Golden Dumbledore

1 minute ago, Legofania said:

Yeah falconfan said chess set includes minimum amount of figures. Wouldn't be surprised if it includes only Trio lol. Or just Golden Dumbledore

What? When did I say that

2 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Trust is easier broken than earned :tongue: It‘s not like I‘m not willing to forgive them, but that won‘t happen before we see the set list for next summer :purrr:

You’re just mad because you’re buying them regardless of what they look like. 

1 minute ago, Legofania said:

That‘s what I‘m saying, anything beyond the trio plus a golden anniversary figure wouldn‘t make any sense. Even Quirrell would be a stretch

Just now, KevinMD said:

You’re just mad because you’re buying them regardless of what they look like. 

Yes, the bane of every completionist :tongue:

3 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

What? When did I say that

Or not you. But I believe someone said so

Edit: oops, it looks like I misunderstood guyon's message :laugh:

Edited by Legofania

Based on the current details we have I can't include any of the August(?) Wave amongst my must haves but the most likely at this point would be the Chess set if it is true to the scene in the movie. That being said based on the poor pictures we have seen & figures leaked I would rank the June (?) Wave as follows:

1 - Hogsmeade

2 - Chamber of Secrets

3 - Bathroom

4 - Fluffy

I leave out the Advent Calendar because I always get at least one if not all that they release.

Y'all wouldn't want the trio in their movie-accurate outfits from the end of that film? I've personally been waiting for a Harry minifigure in that red sweater. If those figures are exclusive to the chess set, I think they'd be pretty desirable.

Anyway, my top 3 are:
1. Hogsmeade - amazing build and figures, just wish it included more buildings
2. Chess set - this has a ton of potential and could look incredible if they do it right
3. Myrtle's bathroom - because Cat Hemione :P
4 (but basically tied for 3). Chamber of Secrets - I'm mainly just annoyed we're getting another great hall build (which looks much worse), but the figures are solid and the official pictures could make it look better

Edited by YetiZombie

3 minutes ago, YetiZombie said:

Y'all wouldn't want the trio in their movie-accurate outfits from the end of that film? I've personally been waiting for a Harry minifigure in that red sweater. If those figures are exclusive to that set, I think they'd be pretty desirable.

Except these versions should also be included in the Fluffy set, they‘re wearing the exact same outfits during the whole climax after all :tongue:

Unless TLG decided to throw screen-accuracy out the window along with their common sense :laugh_hard:

At the moment my 3 favorite sets would be Hogsmeade, Hogwarts Castle/chamber of secrets, and the girls bathroom. I think my ranking will change when we actually see the interior of the sets though. While the 2021 Hogwarts set is arranged like the 2001 Hogwarts castle and has some references to it it's far more similar to the standalone Hogwarts expansions from the early 2000s than the original castle. The 2001 castle was meant to be viewed from the outside (in the original pamphlets included with the sets the exterior of Hogwarts was shown alongside the interior of every other castle set) but the 2021 set seems to be more dedicated to the interchangeable interior format.

As for the buildable August stuff I'm very relieved. They're both incredibly easy passes and I would rather have that then minifigure scale set remakes with just enough new stuff to tempt me. I have no clue why Harry and Hermionie are the focus though. I'm looking forward to finding out why that's the case, I can't really think of a scene that's just between the two of them in the early films. 

13 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

I can't really think of a scene that's just between the two of them in the early films.

POA? When they used time turner.

My current hype rankings: (these might change once we get more information)

Hogsmeade (9/10)

Wizard Chess (if more than the chessboard is included) (8.5/10)

The Chamber of Secrets (8/10)

Polyjuice Potion (7.5/10)

Wizard Chess (if the set is just of the chessboard) (7/10)

Forbidden Corridor (6.5/10)

Fawkes (was pleasantly surprised by the Hedwig set next year, so hopefully this looks just as good) (6/10) 

Buildable Harry and Hermione (the lack of Ron really brings this down for me) (4/10)

Edited by spiderfan2000

25 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Except these versions should also be included in the Fluffy set, they‘re wearing the exact same outfits during the whole climax after all :tongue:

Unless the Fluffy set is based on earlier in the movie when they first found the forbidden room

56 minutes ago, BrickFunatic said:

Hermione seems a bit unpopular in this thread. As a young gay kid who didn't fit in she was always my favourite. And now, as an adult, she still is probably my favourite literary creation.  :purrr:

I like Hermione, I just think it's weird to make a set of buildable figures that doesn't include Ron.

1 hour ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Ok so out of all the sets we know about so far what are your guys’ top 3 sets you’re most looking forward to?

1. Hogsmeade - I've been looking forward to a Hogsmeade set ever since the reboot started and the build looks nice. I wish it was bigger and included some of the other notable buildings, but this is still the only must-buy for me out of all the 2021 sets.

2. Polyjuice/Bathroom - It's cheap and includes Cat-Hermione as well as "Crabbe and Goyle," so I might get it even though it doesn't look that appealing as a build on its own what with the open roof.

3. Chess - I'm really interested to see what this looks like. Could end up being really cool or not so much.

Edited by Roonil Wazlib

Out of this wave I will buy Hogsmeade and then quickly erase the rest out of my mind and hope they come to their senses in 2022

Gonna spend more time making my own MOCs this year I think.

Edited by Modal

Blimey, I've missed a bit.

Buildable figures? Not gonna lie, I'll pass. Chess set? Same. (Unless they have a new crouching minifigure mould for the pawns).

It's weird, since unlike most people here I love the June wave. Not so hot on the August one. At least I'll save me some pennies.

2 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Lavender and Hermione have very similar hair, don't they?

They've been using brown for Hermione's hair, even for the minifigures based on the films toward the middle of the series where her hair is lighter and more similar to Lavender's hair colour. I don't think brown would work for Lavender.

Just now, Roonil Wazlib said:

They've been using brown for Hermione's hair, even for the minifigures based on the films toward the middle of the series where her hair is lighter and more similar to Lavender's hair colour. I don't think brown would work for Lavender.

Fair point. I just Googled pics of the two together - and like you say, Hermione's hair seems to be that little bit lighter in Half Blood Prince

What's funny is—and I say this as someone who is not particularly fond of the anniversary style—just before the August wave was revealed, I had a thought that maybe it would be kind of nice to build a quaint little anniversary Hogwarts with all the scenes from the first two films depicted and nothing else. But the fact that there's no more additions (no Troll, no winged keys, etc.) really squashed that.

56 minutes ago, Legofania said:

Or not you. But I believe someone said so

You are thinking of Falconfan, but you're misinterpreting what he said. What it was was that someone was complaining that the set might only have the trio when a minifig-scale D2C should have at least 10 minifigures, to which FF replied that (to paraphrase) "There is no minimum number of minifigures for D2C sets." It could be seen as a hint, but I think it was just a general statement.

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

Harry with battle damage on his face and torso, Ron in his ending outfit with a new face (one side unconscious), Hermione in her ending outfit, new Quirrell with centered Voldy face and dark brown suit, Spirit Voldy. That's 5. Add in a golden figure to make 6, and a reprint of Moments McGonagall makes 7. Not fantastic, but certainly a nice potential set with some great variants.

29 minutes ago, YetiZombie said:

Unless the Fluffy set is based on earlier in the movie when they first found the forbidden room

Correct, if it weren‘t for the harp that‘s included in the set :tongue: 

13 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Harry with battle damage on his face and torso, Ron in his ending outfit with a new face (one side unconscious), Hermione in her ending outfit, new Quirrell with centered Voldy face and dark brown suit, Spirit Voldy. That's 5. Add in a golden figure to make 6, and a reprint of Moments McGonagall makes 7. Not fantastic, but certainly a nice potential set with some great variants.

Meh. Nothing that couldn‘t be accomplished in other sets as well, except for spirit Voldy which is basically just a floating ghost face :shrug_oh_well: