Captain Nemo

DC Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, Anonknee Muss said:

I’m all for a $40 Tumbler but LEGO wouldn’t release it at the same time as the D2C because it would deter potential consumers from spending $200.

Depends on the minifigs. If one includes the Joker and the other Bane or Two-Face, people might be tempted to get both of them :laugh:

52 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

I wouldn't count on a system scale Tumbler since we didn't get anything for either of the 1989 vehicles, not counting the Batmobile GWP.

Even though it was „just“ a GWP, it stills count in my book, after all it was large enough to easily be its own regular retail set (apart from the lack of minifigs). Quite a weird decision, but definitely one of the best and most generous GWP sets they‘ve ever released :thumbup:

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Depends on the minifigs. If one includes the Joker and the other Bane or Two-Face, people might be tempted to get both of them :laugh:

Great point, it wouldn't be the first time.

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Even though it was „just“ a GWP, it stills count in my book, after all it was large enough to easily be its own regular retail set (apart from the lack of minifigs). Quite a weird decision, but definitely one of the best and most generous GWP sets they‘ve ever released :thumbup:

I agree! £27.99 RRP according to LEGO, definitely one of the best.

4 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

I’m all for a $40 Tumbler but LEGO wouldn’t release it at the same time as the D2C because it would deter potential consumers from spending $200.

Nah I don't think so, targeted buyers for those sets are different. 

If someone already decided to spend 230€ on a set, I think only a small amount of them would want it to actually have a representation of TDK as a movie.

What I'm trying to say is, most people buy it for different reasons than a 40€ set, so it wouldn't really affect the sales of that set.

I just got done building 76188 and overall its a pretty good little model but the use of 62361 LegoMudguard 1 1/2 x 6 x 1 with Arch for the center "roof/spine" is driving my OCD crazy due to it not being symmetrical.

25 minutes ago, Mattallica said:

I just got done building 76188 and overall its a pretty good little model but the use of 62361 LegoMudguard 1 1/2 x 6 x 1 with Arch for the center "roof/spine" is driving my OCD crazy due to it not being symmetrical.

Same, its so annoying lol

13 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

I wouldn't count on a system scale Tumbler since we didn't get anything for either of the 1989 vehicles, not counting the Batmobile GWP.

Like a few others have said already, I'll count the GWP Batmobile as a system scale version of the 1989 Batmobile in this instance. Even if it came with no minifigures, the intention was still evident. The UCS Tumbler being a thing actually gives me MORE hope that an eventual minifig scale version will appear sooner rather than later. Lego started a pattern with the Batmobile display stand sets, and after seeing how well the '66 Batmobile sold, I don't think they're going to quit it anytime soon. Releasing it around the same time as the UCS Tumbler would sell like crazy.

And we DID technically get a system scale 1989 Batwing in the Riddler Heist set from 2019, it's literally the exact same design as the one from the movie.

mZRsoJ8.png

8 hours ago, Mattallica said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's bothered with Lego's odd choice of picking that piece out of all the alternatives, they even could've reused the Black Arch 1 x 6 x 2 Curved Top  that was used for the 2016 version and it would've been fine. For mine I got four 1x2 black plates and arranged them in an arch to match the shape of the mudguard piece and I think it's the perfect substitute. I even decided to add an extra piece underneath it to represent the "Emergency Bat-Turn Lever" that wasn't possible with the mudguard. Here's a comparison between the two:

TYsvvrw.png

Edited by TheBatstan

6 hours ago, TheBatstan said:

...I'm glad I'm not the only one that's bothered with Lego's odd choice of picking that piece out of all the alternatives, they even could've reused the Black Arch 1 x 6 x 2 Curved Top  that was used for the 2016 version and it would've been fine. For mine I got four 1x2 black plates and arranged them in an arch to match the shape of the mudguard piece and I think it's the perfect substitute. I even decided to add an extra piece underneath it to represent the "Emergency Bat-Turn Lever" that wasn't possible with the mudguard. Here's a comparison between the two:

I did pretty much the same as you but with 1 1x4 plate and then the 3 1x2s (and no extra"Emergency Bat-Turn Lever"  piece) crisis averted :laugh:

9 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Nah I don't think so, targeted buyers for those sets are different. 

If someone already decided to spend 230€ on a set, I think only a small amount of them would want it to actually have a representation of TDK as a movie.

What I'm trying to say is, most people buy it for different reasons than a 40€ set, so it wouldn't really affect the sales of that set.

I’m not saying if it’s good or bad or right or wrong I’m just explaining LEGO’s mentality. Why do your think the Batwing vs RiddlerCopter set was the first to retire out of the 2019 2HY wave? To make way or the Batwing D2C, you’re right that they are targeted audiences but LEGO doesn’t see it that way.

Edited by Anonknee Muss

1 hour ago, Anonknee Muss said:

To make way or the Batwing D2C, you’re right that they are targeted audiences but LEGO doesn’t see it that way.

I don‘t think that‘s really how they see it. For instance, it’s not uncommon for Star Wars vehicles to overlap in their sales windows. Microfighters and their normal-sized counterparts happily co-exist, as do minifig-scale and UCS sets depicting the same vehicle :classic: Playsets and pure display models are not in competition with one another

4 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I don‘t think that‘s really how they see it. For instance, it’s not uncommon for Star Wars vehicles to overlap in their sales windows. Microfighters and their normal-sized counterparts happily co-exist, as do minifig-scale and UCS sets depicting the same vehicle :classic: Playsets and pure display models are not in competition with one another

Star Wars is one of LEGO’s best sellers whereas DC doesn’t anywhere near as much as Star Wars.

7 minutes ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Star Wars is one of LEGO’s best sellers whereas DC doesn’t anywhere near as much as Star Wars.

I don’t think popularity is much of a factor here. If someone is willing to spend $200 on a Tumbler, they wouldn‘t drop that idea just because they spot a $40 version on the shelf right next to it. If all they want is a model of the Tumbler, there‘s plenty of even cheaper alternatives :laugh: People who actually want a giant Tumbler are the audience for this set, and they wouldn‘t be tempted by a smaller version to serve as a replacement

Blegh, another Bat Vehicle D2C. Not even one I like, the Tumbler is just ugly imo.

Year looks like another bust, and with The Batman being next year, I assume 2022 will be another Bat-fest with no room for anything else as well.

While I am all for reducing aftermarket costs, and it is always frustrating when you miss a set. It is also frustrating when LEGO continually remakes sets, especially large expensive sets. Did they need to remake the X-wing or Falcon? Not necessarily. Do they need to remake this? No...

But I would HOPE they could make it more stable. If you look at the 2014 version wrong it breaks. It was a beautiful looking set, but terrible design (maybe that's all they could do at the time, but tons of new pieces now).

But still, another giant Tumbler...lame. Especially when they throw in an awesome figure line-up. Just another slap in the face to past fans.

As a fan who is looking forward to the tumbler re-make (rumor), I am excited. But I understand that others may not like it. It's not an easy line to hold, when people are clamoring for re-makes and original sets abound that could last the next 10 years easily. 

I am happy to see the amount of disapproval this set has thus far received. Never understood why people would want a giant version of a vehicle and wish they normalized regular retail versions of these vehicles in the first place. If DC sales are low maybe experiment with a few sets dedicated to these franchises? Imagine a $50 retail Tumblr with Batman, Harvey Dent, Joker, Scarecrow, and a Henchmen. And another set with Catwoman, Thalia al Ghul and Ras Al Ghul. Just examples but I think that would be smarter than sprinkling a few of them in giant versions of these designs. It amazes me how poorly the reception for these concepts is both online and in actual sales and they never change their approach. 

I would love to change Lego’s approach. What petition website would be best to create a petition to change Lego DC? Would they read any mail I send them? I know it sounds corny but I would like to some how communicate these thoughts to the Lego group. If fans don’t buy what you’re putting out, evaluate why that may be. Low quality print, set choices that are unappealing and a repetitive roster of heroes means we probably already have a better version of the figure you’re giving and the build is of no interest. It seems quite obvious what Lego needs to do to fix this theme.

Edited by cosmic

6 minutes ago, cosmic said:

It amazes me how poorly the reception for these concepts is both online and in actual sales and they never change their approach.

Doesn't the fact they never change their approach say enough about the sets' sales? These concepts may be fairly poorly received on forums like Eurobricks but take in mind we are but a tiny fraction of LEGO's entire customer base.

Much as I hate the Batman oversaturation, it's clearly happening for a reason. We're not privy to Lego's sales, but I think it's pretty clear that if the non Bat Rickshaw or whatever stuff sold better, we'd see more of it.

Really doesn't make it any easier to deal with though. Learning that Marvel is getting a d2c Daily Bugle and we still haven't gotten even a Daily Planet playset hurts.

It's a tough time to be a DC fan. Comics are fine, but WB has no idea what they're doing when it comes to films, there's no current cartoons that are any good, and the Lego sets are terrible. There's some of the live-action shows, but that's about it for good things right now.

Edited by Xzmmc

5 minutes ago, Xzmmc said:

Much as I hate the Batman oversaturation, it's clearly happening for a reason. We're not privy to Lego's sales, but I think it's pretty clear that if the non Bat Rickshaw or whatever stuff sold better, we'd see more of it.

Really doesn't make it any easier to deal with though. Learning that Marvel is getting a d2c Daily Bugle and we still haven't gotten even a Daily Planet playset hurts.

It's a tough time to be a DC fan. Comics are fine, but WB has no idea what they're doing when it comes to films, there's no current cartoons that are any good, and the Lego sets are terrible. There's some of the live-action shows, but that's about it for good things right now.

That's why I've fallen back on the ol' DCAU for my binging needs :laugh_hard:

26 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Doesn't the fact they never change their approach say enough about the sets' sales? These concepts may be fairly poorly received on forums like Eurobricks but take in mind we are but a tiny fraction of LEGO's entire customer base.

My understanding was that this theme sold less than other themes and that was why we receive a small quantity of sets in general. I’m still confident that Lego’s current approach isn’t having the impact it could if it changed to meet the demands  of AFOL’s. I saw someone on insta put it well. That Lego has made sets better than the past few years. The Blue Beetle Scarecrow set is a good example of including a non Batman hero in a Batman setting. The recent Shazam Riddler set was also a combo of hero and Batman vs Bat villain. We have a precedence for better content there is something to be said that the past few years have been comparably bad compared to older releases.

Keep in mind the big bat vehicles are actually the best selling thing about the theme so it makes sense they keep doing them

4 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Keep in mind the big bat vehicles are actually the best selling thing about the theme so it makes sense they keep doing them

Surprising to hear. Guess I know literally nothing about the inner workings of this theme.

6 hours ago, Xzmmc said:

I agree. The set choices are infuriating for adult fans of both DC and Lego but there is most likely a strategic reason behind the decisions made. That said, i agree also on the DC front. Marvel is kicking our megablocks and I still believe in the potential of the universe. Its the decision makers at Warner and the animation departments that are letting DC Become the mess it is today.

I mean it's no surprise the Bat vehicles sell best, otherwise we'd see a more diverse selection of stuff. It's just business.

If I may be selfish for a moment, I'd rather the theme just quietly die like DC Superhero Girls if it's just gonna stagnate this much. When literally the only mildly interesting things in the entire theme last year were Bronze Tiger and Etta Candy? It's sort of pathetic.

4 minutes ago, Xzmmc said:

When literally the only mildly interesting things in the entire theme last year were Bronze Tiger and Etta Candy? It's sort of pathetic.

Saying this even with the fact that we got a whole CMF series last year with a bunch of different characters that never would've shown up otherwise in regular sets (and only 3 were Batman related so nobody can say there was any major Bat-oversaturation).

10 minutes ago, TheBatstan said:

Saying this even with the fact that we got a whole CMF series last year with a bunch of different characters that never would've shown up otherwise in regular sets (and only 3 were Batman related so nobody can say there was any major Bat-oversaturation).

Whoops, thought the CMF series was 2019.

In my defense, most of 2020 sorta blends together memorywise.

10 hours ago, Xzmmc said:

Blegh, another Bat Vehicle D2C. Not even one I like, the Tumbler is just ugly imo.

Year looks like another bust, and with The Batman being next year, I assume 2022 will be another Bat-fest with no room for anything else as well.

Well we have 3 more movies than The Batman, for which we'll be getting at least 3 sets.

The Flash sets are guaranteed. It's a HUGE multiverse movie with at least 2 versions of Batman, so expect Keaton with a Bat-Vehicle lol. For real tho, I except at least 2 sets, no more than 4.

Then there's Aquaman 2. They did only 1 set for the 1st one, but seeing how Aquaman became DC's highest grossing movie ever, and the character's popularity skyrocketed, I think we might get 2 sets for this one.

Black Adam... I am not sure. It obviously seems like a bestseller with The Rock and colourful JSA, but I'm afraid Lego wouldn't feel that way... let's hope for the best.

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN