jorgeopesi

What is the hardest part to build on your MOCs?.

On 12/25/2020 at 1:39 PM, Johnny1360 said:

For me it is hands down, dimensions. 

My creations always end up being wider, taller or longer than what I am shooting for. So that in the end they always look a bit off or just plain stupid looking.

Even with careful planning.

Part of the fun though, so I don't stress out on it too much.

I've found that many things actually need proportions tweaked a bit off from reality to look right, especially if you go smaller than 1:10 scale. 

Cars are the toughest to get right. Lego wheel/tires frequently wind up not being quite the right size, throwing off the look.

Oddly enough, shorter wheelbase cars often look better slightly stretched, and longer wheelbase cars look better slightly shrunk. The larger the scale, the more accurate proportions need to be. 

For me, it's usually the bodywork, I've had it happen way too many times where I'd finish the chassis and all the mechanisms thinking the hardest was over, and the bodywork ends up being an even bigger struggle.

I think it's that since the bodywork is what goes on the outside, I can't really build however I want anymore. I actually have to pay attention to how it all comes together in the end. Additionally, I'd often find myself having to make slight adjustments to the chassis (e.g. changing 2L pins to 3L ones) in order to create an attachment point for the bodywork.

For me, it is color matching. It is easy to build whatever we want but coloring them is hard.
Sure it is easy just to make it all black(most of the parts have black) but too many blacks will be bored sometimes.

And I have always avoiding to use custom stickers for my MOCs, which sometimes make building even harder.

The most annoying part is when you sure all part's colors are correct and it does exist but your local store / BL or whatever said it was out of stock.

My weak points are:

For cars:

• the bodywork, of course, but I really struggle more than other people, so: any advice?
  • sometimes finding the right ride height for the suspension
  • It depends on which car (off-roader, supercar, or sedan) but also sometimes the front axle
  • Implementing the battery box if I do an RC car because the boxes are HUGE, and I do not own the train battery box
  • DESINING SEATS
  • I have no problem with the rigidity tho

For other builds:

• For bigger builds such as excavators, the rigidity, though I'm getting better now
  • For MINDSTORMS the cable management

And last but not least, for alternative builds:

• Of course, finding the right part for the right place
  • Also finding the right color

Sorry for the long post

For my part I struggle always on the same things. 

I always build a first model based on overall shape and look. I then build a second one with technical part next to the first one that I keep built for reference.

Then comes the more difficult part for me. I have to merge both of them in a third one just as I try actually for TC19. 

An there comes the troubles....

Edited by steph77

Hardest part for me is often making sure the model and especially the bodywork is built structurally rigid. It's easier to build stuff that looks cool when you build it for show and not for play. The real challenge is securing all of the panels and other exterior details so that if you grab the model from the wrong spot or shake it a bit too much everything still stays in the correct orientation. This comes especially apparent when building small scale builds with lots of detail.